wine and which kernel is best
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kemical
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2002 1:28 pm    Post subject: wine and which kernel is best Reply with quote

im using gentoo-source r9 and trying to install applications, (dreamweaver mx, etc)

and well im reading franksworld.net on how to install ive followed everything to the dot.

my last hope to get these apps working is to see if using vanilla sources would make wine work better?

ive seen posts where people were using gentoo sources to install apps with wine -and not work, then they switched to vanilla sources and the application installed and ran as is.

could anyone help me with this inquiry?
zypher
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2002 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm...
You could just try it of course.
I think there should be no prob if you leave out the crypto stuff in the gentoo-sources, they're known to cause probs with wine.
Anyway, please post your results here, I'd like to know if it's true.
kemical
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2002 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

how do i take out the crypto items in the gentoo-sources?

well not how exactly but where are those items located and which ones?

also scsi emulation have anything to do with wine not working correctly also?
kemical
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2002 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

should i reinstall wine or anything like that after changing to vanilla source? i have succesfully changed over to the vanilla source kernel but still receiving same problems as before when using gentoo's patched kernel.

thanks
Carlos
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2002 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reinstalling Wine shouldn't really make a difference, since Wine should build the same irrespective of your kernel (though I might be wrong.) Anyway, the only problem I've heard of involving Wine(X) and the Gentoo kernel has to do with CD copy protection, possibly only when using SCSI IDE emulation. For example, I wasn't able to run Warcraft 3 under WineX with Gentoo sources - it would install fine, but it wouldn't start because of copy protection. As for the Crypto API in the Gentoo sources, it's one of the top-level options so it shouldn't be too hard to find. Can you tell us more about the problems you're having? Anyway, good luck.
kemical
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2002 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well for example with dreamweaver MX, im getting setup failure dialog box at 56% and 72% (reoccuring) and the install quits. havent been able to get past that. i have dcom95.exe installed, along with a system registry obtained from franksworld.net and all the dll's needed (afaik)

basically its on setup, it fails due to segementation faults and im not exactly sure how to view the entire log of what is happening to paste any hard evidence.

thanks

ps - im on wine 2002904 using gentoo 1.4 currently with vanilla-source installed and i did enable everything from the 1.4 install guide so i could use my cd burner.
kemical
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2002 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

btw, flash mx runs faster performance wise using vanilla source kernel as compared to using gentoo sources ;)

but of course it is said you lose the performance of some gentoo using vanilla as compared to gentoo-sources. guess you gotta give to get :)

but from a web developers perspective (once i can get dw mx installed) i would give up that little performance the gentoo source gives to get flash mx and dw mx running almost at the performance you would see in a windows environment.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: