Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
xfree is officially DEPRECATED on AMD64!!
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on AMD64
View previous topic :: View next topic  
El_Angelo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't get it then....

Code:

xftcf.c:31: error: syntax error before '*' token
xfcfg.c Inf function 'XftConfigSubstitute' :
xfcfg.c:33: error: 'p' undeclared (first use in this function)

etcetcetcetc....

!!!ERROR: x11-base/xorg-x11-6.7.0 failed
!!! Function src_compile, Line 684, Exitcode 2
!!! (no error message)

it is a fresh gentoo install on dual opteron 242...
get sirius
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a fresh install of xorg-x11 on a fresh system install, and "opengl-update nvidia" went fine. Is it also necessary to "opengl-update xorg-x11", or is that only for those who changed from xfree? The reason I ask is because although xorg comes up just fine, it goes down hard! e.g. whether I use XSESSION with the default window manager or KDE, or just boot directly into KDE using xdm, ending the session to change user or to reboot or just system halt, the system freezes. My only recourse is to do a hard reset; control-alt-backspace has no effect. :cry:

If anyone has any suggestions, I would be very happy to hear them. By the way, it's all straight 64-bit (no multilib), gcc-3.3.3 with binutils-2.15.0.1.1 and cflags of "-O2 -pipe". Relatively conservative (I say "relative" because, after all, this IS Gentoo!). Oh, and glibc is compiled with nptl support. :?
get sirius
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops! My bad. :oops:

Obviously the wrong place for my previous post. My apology hereby tendered.
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really think it's cleaner to unmerge xfree first, and then emerge xorg-x11, rather than the dodgy expedient of using -BO.
kezzla
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2004 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well no more 64-bit for me....No 3d acceleration really blows a$$ for my 9800 pro using xorg... I had no problems installing/configuring everything...but I get lockups daily. I never "switched" from xfree...I did a fresh install via 2004.1 amd64 minimal - and just chose xorg over xfree.

Xscreensaver is S L O W ! Xine is S L O W...anything that requires full screen video for that matter...Anyhow just my opinion - might help those with ATI cards + amd64 choose not to mess with 64bit gentoo mess just yet. Getting an nvidia card is **not** the answer for me, as I'll be getting X800 Platinum gaming goodness soon enough...I realize ati linux drivers aren't great and 64 bit ones prolly won't be out anytime soon. I was just curious how solid 64bit stuff was atm...I will say this >> Firefox will NEVER be this fast in windows ;)

I'm sure I'll go all 64 bit one day...when windows xp 64 bit is released ! :evil:
Back to re-install with pure 32-bit tonight...
Aggamemnon
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I've got a statisfactory X-org going on an M10 using the default 2d drivers.

The lack of 3D is annoying, but I solve that by dual booting into XP for games :)
LouTheBlueGuru
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 12:26 am    Post subject: After Step 2 Compile Errors Reply with quote

I get compile errors during step two of the install. The most prominent is:
Xftint.h:xxx:error:ISO C forbids data definition with no type or storage class. This if followed by more errors in the src compile.
Also
xftcfg.c:33:error: 'FcMatchFont' undeclared (first in this function)

Any ideas?

For those working with computers that haven’t figured this out yet: "Everything is related with every other thing ... " -- The Jaina Philosophy of Non-Absolutism
srs5694
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there any way to bypass this deprecation of XFree86? Xorg-X11 simply is not working for me (see Gentoo bug #49180 for details; in short it seems to be a video card driver bug), but XFree86 is fine. I'm seeing updates to assorted programs (KDE stuff, mostly) that insists on emerging Xorg-X11, so I can't install these updates if it'll also install Xorg-X11.
woeye
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 8:10 am    Post subject: @El_Angelo Reply with quote

Today I had exactly the same error on my AMD64 box.
I have gcc-3.3.3-r5 and binutils-2.15.90.0.1.1-r1. Any idea? Perhaps I should try a older gcc oder glibc?

Quote:

Code:

xftcf.c:31: error: syntax error before '*' token
xfcfg.c Inf function 'XftConfigSubstitute' :
xfcfg.c:33: error: 'p' undeclared (first use in this function)

etcetcetcetc....

!!!ERROR: x11-base/xorg-x11-6.7.0 failed
!!! Function src_compile, Line 684, Exitcode 2
!!! (no error message)

woeye
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 11:13 am    Post subject: xftcf.c error solved Reply with quote

After some investigation I found out that a simple reemerge of freetype solved the problem.
BlueDragonX
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't had any problems with my dektop which uses the Opteron 144. That's aside from no ECC support, so that's disabled ATM...

Anywho, it's useing XFree at the moment. I can't switch to X.org yet since the machine is in the US and I'm in China...will have to wait a week or two.

EDIT

Well, I was having problems with it on my laptop, but nevermind, I mighta fixed it...
Dephyler
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2004 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey devs, can you PLEASE update the amd64 install guides. for example, the installation handbook contains a link to the desktop configuration guide, which is done with the xfree packages. even if it's just a simple links to this thread or something. ANYTHING is better than nothing. I'm new to gentoo and pretty much f'd my installation, which is ok, but it'd be nice to have all of the req'd info in one place rather than in multiple docs and threads.

deph
jthompson
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2004 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I apologize if this is the wrong place to ask this question...

Can you ssh from a plain old x86 machine running xfree86 into an amd64 machine running xorg-x11? Would you be able to execute X programs through this ssh connection?

...maybe I'm just asking for too much...
Little Nemo
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2004 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, you can, yes you would. It doesn't matter whether the AMD machine is running an X server or not. It's enough to have certain libraries installed with the X11 clients. The X11 client will run on the AMD machine in 64 bit, but it will use the x86 machine's display for output, if the latter is properly configured to allow this. You could even use a Mac or a Windows box or whatever else to display the client running on the AMD as long as you have an X server running.
jthompson
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, I thought there might be some kind of conflict between the two different X server versions. I'll try it out if I get the chance.
srs5694
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

X servers can vary in capabilities, but most programs should work, at least minimally, with most recent X servers. You might lose some features (perhaps including anti-aliased fonts), but programs should run. (Anecdote time: I've got coLinux running on a Windows XP system, and I've got Gentoo and Fedora installed under coLinux. Because coLinux uses a Windows-native X server to run X programs, I'm using XManager as my window manager, and it works pretty well with both Gentoo and Fedora.) As to XFree86 and Xorg-X11, the latter is a fork of the former, so their differences are unusually slim at the moment. I don't know of any programs that'll run on one but not the other, although there might be some particularly exotic or demanding programs that would have problems with one but not the other.
Erdie
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 2:20 pm    Post subject: I got stability problems after migrating to xorg Reply with quote

Hi,
the migration to xorg went well according to the descreptoin above, but there were servere stability problems while using opengl applications like 3D screensavers and quake3. Somtimes the whole systems freezes without ability to log on remotely. I am usin the nvidia drivers together with a fx5900XT MSI card. Therefore I went back to xfree and there are no more problems since serveral days. But this can only be a mid term solution. I have no idea where the problems are coming from ..

Erdie :cry:

UPDATE:

since using gentoo-dev-sources-2.6.7-rX there are no more stability problems. The system runs very stable even when I am player around with 3D stuff extensivly. Now it makes really fun .. :D
kamina
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2004 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a fresh install of A64 2004.0 and I get the following error:

Quote:

Läppäri root # emerge --buildpkgonly --nodeps x11-base/xorg-x11
Calculating dependencies
emerge: there are no masked or unmasked ebuilds to satisfy "x11-base/xorg-x11".

edit: after doing "emerge sync" it started to download.
Rucker
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kezzla wrote:
Back to re-install with pure 32-bit tonight...

Do you set it to"march=athlon-xp" or something different? I haven't used Gentoo for quite awhile but would like to on my new A64 computer. I really need it to work reliably though so I don't want to screw around with 64 bit support.
Dreq
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know why you guys are complaining about 64-bit.. Yes there is no ATI support -- ATI is going to pay ~BIG~ for that very quickly. But beyond that, I am running native 64-bit, and even things like VMWare work just fine. I dont' get crashes, and my system runs retardedly fast. However, there were a few things I had to do to get everything running all pretty:

1) Make sure SMP is disabled
2) Enable pre-emptive kernel
3) Compile DMA support for your chipset (BIG performance boost here)
4) Enable 32-bit binary emulation support

Everything is running like a champ. Even without 3D acceleration, I can compile 3 things at once, while listening to music and chatting on irc, and the system runs silky smooth.
Ledneh
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So xfree has been given the shaft completely and totally across the Gentoo field, right? Should this sticky be removed?
dberkholz
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dreq wrote:
I don't know why you guys are complaining about 64-bit.. Yes there is no ATI support

For anyone who doesn't know yet, ATI recently released 64-bit drivers.
donjuan
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ledneh wrote:
So xfree has been given the shaft completely and totally across the Gentoo field, right? Should this sticky be removed?

Yeah, it was "given the shaft" many months ago. I agree, this sticky should be removed.

The Stage 1 on 3 Install
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on AMD64 All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: