Tips and Tricks site
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
paul138
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2002 6:10 pm    Post subject: Tips and Tricks site Reply with quote

I am in the process of putting the finishing touches on a -low volume- site dealing with Gentoo Linux Tips and Tricks.

Please feel free to stop in and check the place out. There is not much content at the time, but that's where you come in :wink:

http://forkbomb.dhs.org/gtat/

Thanks.[/url]
rojaro
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2002 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm ... imho not a good idea. it would be better if you would contribute stuff like this to the official FAQ's or the Forums which will always contain MUCH MORE informations, tipps & tricks than you could ever provide with your own/independend website. contributing to the official documentation also means raising the quality of the official docs.

but, the idea of a book is generally pretty good, but not a book based on a blog. if you really intend to do a community based book you should do this via a more broadly established way - which means using standard formats like SGML and a CVS server with a webinterface.

right now your site is just another not-worth-to-be-visited-blog :(

but the basic idea of a gentoo book is actually pretty good, so you'll should think more about that idea and maybe ask your targeted audience for support, ideas and suggestions as there are surely lots more people (like me) which would be interessted in such and would help you with this. i know what a hard job it is to write a book - especially if you intend to do it for a broad audience (e.g. the gentoo users) so i'd suggest to concentrate more on just this one idea and do it in a more proffessional way ;)
pizen
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2002 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something for a book might be more in-depth discussion into the options during installation. Things like the pros and cons of the different crons and the different sys loggers. I use vcron because the install guide suggested I use it and I, like many others, would like to know why they suggested that one. Just some stuff to think about for your future Gentoo writing projects.
paul138
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2002 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rojaro wrote:
hmm ... imho not a good idea. it would be better if you would contribute stuff like this to the official FAQ's or the Forums which will

Your opinion is welcome but this is in it's infancy (you did read the first post?) and is an idea at the time.

The idea is not to take away from the Gentoo site, but to help generate more contribution and encourage further growth.

As far as a web/cvs style system, I want anyone who can write to be able to use it and not have to learn a new way of doing things. However the system does offer revision tracking and rollback. I'm not sure where you get the idea that is a blog.

Of course, if you dont like it, you dont need to visit right? :wink:

It would be a terrible thing for me, a member of the linux comunity, to extend a hand to my fellow citizens wouldnt it? I'll stop here before a flame war starts and this gets modded down.

Kein danke
pizen
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2002 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

paul138 wrote:
I'll stop here before a flame war starts and this gets modded down.

Where do you think you are? Slashdot?
paul138
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2002 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pizen wrote:

Sometimes the feeling follows you around.
rojaro
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2002 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

paul138 wrote:
Your opinion is welcome but this is in it's infancy (you did read the first post?) and is an idea at the time.

well, i read the whole website in the hope to find something that i dont know yet ...

paul138 wrote:
The idea is not to take away from the Gentoo site, but to help generate more contribution and encourage further growth.

right, but why doing it on seperate site when you have all the posiibilties that site provides already at *.gentoo.org? this is imho an unnessecary redundancy.

paul138 wrote:
As far as a web/cvs style system, I want anyone who can write to be able to use it and not have to learn a new way of doing things. However the system does offer revision tracking and rollback. I'm not sure where you get the idea that is a blog.

well ... with a few hundretthousands (or millions? is there a statistic or something???) of CVS installations you cant really talk about something new as this is infact nothing new. you may also have noticed some of the the other opensource books in the world (of which many are distributed through oreilly) which also are nothing new and i believe if ALL of them are using WORLDSTANDARDS like SGML, XML and TEX (infact most serious publishers are only working with TEX), so this is infact NOTHING new and i believe they all evaluated lots of methods and ways on how to produce community based books ...

paul138 wrote:
Of course, if you dont like it, you dont need to visit right? :wink:

i can't know if i like it before i havent visited it yet, and believe me, i've done my homework in this particular case.

paul138 wrote:
It would be a terrible thing for me, a member of the linux comunity, to extend a hand to my fellow citizens wouldnt it? I'll stop here before a flame war starts and this gets modded down.

well, too late :)
you've got your opinion - i've got mine but thats the good thing about an open society. freedom of thought and freedom of speech. all i said was MY PERSONAL OPINION and my thoughts about his idea - and as i said i really like the idea of having a gentoo book and i'd be happy if i could contribute a little piece to it.

paul138 wrote:
Kein danke

Kein Bitte :)
rojaro
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2002 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

paul138 wrote:
pizen wrote:
Sometimes the feeling follows you around.

well ... this forum is intended for discussions isn't it? :)
Lowspirit
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2002 2:18 am    Post subject: Ehm? Reply with quote

Does this only go for tips'n'tricks sites or...? I agree the site is very rough around the edges and very content empty, but general idea behind it is good and I disagree with the :

Quote:
hmm ... imho not a good idea. it would be better if you would contribute stuff like this to the official FAQ's or the Forums which will always contain MUCH MORE informations, tipps & tricks than you could ever provide with your own/independend website. contributing to the official documentation also means raising the quality of the official docs.

The forums will always be THE place to look, but it's huge, hard to search when you have more complex problems, and when you look for more wide stuff you have to sort through way too many posts to get to "the right one".

I read the officiall FAQ once or twice when I first installed, that was months ago, it doesn't get updated much, info in it is solid and well structured but if it were to include much more it'd get messy, a fan site are allowed to be alittle messy so I think what paul138 is onto is a good idea.

Some tips to Paul : Make site more friendly, look at all the colors on gentoo site (especially it's excellent guides/faq/instructions) and look at yours. The main page is very unorganized and looks like 95% of all the other home made websites out there, I visited for the tips, give the tips more attention on mainpage and the news postings less. Forums should only be implemented when you have enough big visitor base, otherwise people visit, somehow end up at your forum section, see it's very empty and presume site is abandonded or no good. I could cough up some help graphics/design wise if wanted/needed.

Good luck with the site either way, I bookmarked it, earn the valuable position :wink:
rojaro
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2002 3:40 am    Post subject: Re: Ehm? Reply with quote

Lowspirit wrote:
The forums will always be THE place to look, but it's huge, hard to search when you have more complex problems, and when you look for more wide stuff you have to sort through way too many posts to get to "the right one".

well, you wont find solutions to complex problems in a tips&tricks site ... not even in a tips&tricks book e.g. one want a full featured vpn setup and cant get the aes encryption to work with the ssh.com ssh sentinell client ... well thats a complex problem.

Quote:
I read the officiall FAQ once or twice when I first installed, that was months ago, it doesn't get updated much, info in it is solid and well structured but if it were to include much more it'd get messy, a fan site are allowed to be alittle messy so I think what paul138 is onto is a good idea.

so why dont they get updated? because one cant do it? false. as i see it, gentoo is a community project and if you want to contribute documentation there are lots of ways to do that (there is lots of docs how to do it - see frontpage on the left "Developer Resources"). unfortunately most gentoo users just use the gentoo linux distro - they dont contribute.
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2002 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can anybody in here interested in participating in a project to create a better Gentoo documentation system please post a message to knowledge base: how-to documents via commandline?
paul138
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2002 1:38 pm    Post subject: Regardless Reply with quote

Regardless of those who are against it and those who arent, I'm working on the site.

And thus with this site all documentation generated will be fed back to the Gentoo folks.

Cheers!
-Paul
NickDaFish
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2002 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wahoo! Water Pistols at dawn! :lol:

Gentoo can always do with more docs and I think paul138 is a dude for trying to supply some. However I do have to agree (though not as rabidly) with rajaro and others that there should be some sort of intergration with the current docs. Even if it's just a snapshot of his stuff that's put in the docs area. There is no point in fragmenting Gentoo's support into multiple sites. It should all come together in one place.
Having said that I realy don't care how paul138 compiles his docs, he can have a whiteboard in time square for all I care. It realy doesn't matter. If that works for him and the Gentoo community gets more docs out of it.... cool!

In short...
paul138... if your going to go to the trouble of making docs try and fit them in somehow with the current Gentoo setup. Maybe get a Gentoo.org host name and look into exporting your docs to the Gentoo XML format.
Everyone else... I see a lot of complaints about a lack of user participation, give paul138 a little support huh? So he want's to do things in his own way.... this isn't a Micro$oft forum here. I thought individuals were welcome.

Just one n00b's 2c.....
paul138
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2002 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NickDaFish wrote:

Wahoo! Water Pistols at dawn! :lol:

It certainly is interesting to see more criticism than interest in a project like this. I'm only guessing that most are used to using this site and this site only for thier needs. So I'll make this clear: I am not trying to replace the Gentoo site. Of course, if there's something wrong with helping to support the community I can stop now.

(repeats to self: "it's only a hoby, it's only a hoby, it's only a hoby, ")
Naan Yaar
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2002 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any way you can "give back to the community" is laudable. Good luck with your efforts. If you can contribute to existing documentation frameworks like Gentoo/Forum FAQ, Gentoo docs., Forum Tips & Tricks, in addition to putting them on your website, it would be doubly good and potentially serve a wider audience.
paul138 wrote:
It certainly is interesting to see more criticism than interest in a project like this. I'm only guessing that most are used to using this site and this site only for thier needs. So I'll make this clear: I am not trying to replace the Gentoo site. Of course, if there's something wrong with helping to support the community I can stop now.

(repeats to self: "it's only a hoby, it's only a hoby, it's only a hoby, ")
masseya
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2002 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would also like to encourage your feldgling help site. Everyone has to start somewhere. Looking forward to watching your site grow. :)
telex4
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2002 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well first of all, this project could be really good, so go for it! To whoever says its a redundant fork, does it matter? Any good docs can always go back into the main gentoo "tree" of docs anyway.

Now I started up, and wrote most of the docs, for http://www.newtolinux.org.uk which has been very well received by anyone whose ever beene sent there by those who run the site, those who send us comments and register on the forum. Yeah there are lots of sites for gnu/linux newbies, but our site offers something subtly different: a logical progression of tutorials that, once you've done them all, will give you a good understanding of your system, your shell, software installation etc. and plenty of knowledge and resources to go out there and find more. Because we offer something different, people appreciate the site. And even if it only helps 10 people, it's worth it (tho its getting a good 50k hits a month atm :P )

Anyway, my point is this: if you can offer something even slightly different to that offered on the gentoo site, then its worth pursuing that. The best thing is to establish exactly what you are intending to offer that is different to the "competition", and really focus on that...

As a Gentoo newbie (on gentoo for, ooh, 2 days now, or 6 if you include set-up) one thing I'd like to see are simple howtos like "Getting started with cd burning" and "Setting up dialup" for Gentoo... yes there are plenty of docs out there about wvdial and pppd and cdrecord etc. etc. and many geeks love to say "RTFM" but there's nothing quite like working from a document written with you in mind, talking about your tools, your potential problems etc.

Anyway, yeah, go for it. I'm willing to help out a little if you want help :) You can even link to my site (aheeheehee) or take & modify documents from it :)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: