Problem running genkernel
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
neilkfox
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 11:09 pm    Post subject: Problem running genkernel Reply with quote

Hi,
i am installing gentoo for the first time and have come across a problem running emerge genkernel

It went through most of the process but now cannon complete the 6th task. Whenit tries to connect to gentoo.oregonstate.edu/distfiles/genkernel-3.0.01_rc1.tar.bz2 it comes up 404 not found, then tries distro.ibiblio.org (404 not found) then dev.gentoo.org and this time gets the error 403 forbidden.

Then message could not download genkernel....... Aborting.

Can anyone tell me what needs to be done so I can complete this task.

Also, can you let me know if I stop here will I need to go through the whole process upto this point if I turn the machine off now?

Thanks,

Neil
Peracles
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 11:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Problem running genkernel Reply with quote

neilkfox wrote:
Hi,
i am installing gentoo for the first time and have come across a problem running emerge genkernel

It went through most of the process but now cannon complete the 6th task. Whenit tries to connect to gentoo.oregonstate.edu/distfiles/genkernel-3.0.01_rc1.tar.bz2 it comes up 404 not found, then tries distro.ibiblio.org (404 not found) then dev.gentoo.org and this time gets the error 403 forbidden.

Then message could not download genkernel....... Aborting.

Can anyone tell me what needs to be done so I can complete this task.

Also, can you let me know if I stop here will I need to go through the whole process upto this point if I turn the machine off now?

Thanks,

Neil

That is pretty odd. Did u run the mirrorselect utility to get the mirrors set in your make.conf?

You can shut it off at any time. Just be sure to exit out of your chroot, unmount your partitions, and then "shutdown -h now" or "reboot". To continue the install, you will have to boot the liveCD, configure the network, mount your partitions, and then follow the chroot portion of the install manual. After that, then u can continue with the installation.
neilkfox
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No I did not run the mirror select and I do not appear to be able to do it now.

Neil
Peracles
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

neilkfox wrote:
No I did not run the mirror select and I do not appear to be able to do it now.

Neil

Hmmm thats odd. It appears u deviated from the install guide. I would backtrack to the chroot instructions and go through the emerge sync again. First, make sure u still have network. Try to ping www.yahoo.com. If that works, go back to the chroot steps and go from there.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: