View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Schlurken
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 5:50 pm    Post subject: X problem Reply with quote

Alright, I've tried to solve this, but now I have run straight into a wall (and it does hurt :cry: )
Anyway, I set up a comp which I would use for a gentoo box, it's an AMD T-bird 1.6ghz, 512mb ddr 3200, 30gb hdd, savage S450 Stealth III (or Hercules Kyro II, I can switch between them) and an AcerView 11D monitor wise.

Everything works smoothly in the console, I can surf text-based, chat on irc text-based etc. but as soon as I try to get my graphical interface up, everything goes to hell. I can get into x, but here's where the strange thing occurs. I've never actually had a working mouse, but the keyboard has worked, but sometimes when I quit x, do something else, then log into x again, it doesn't work; which ends with a reboot (the hard way).

So I thought "must be me, lets try redhat and then copy the x-config". well when I boot redhat graphically after initial install, neither the mouse nor the keyboard works.

I've tested them both on my Windows box, and they work perfectly fine. The mouse is not a USB mouse, so I don't think there should be any extra work I have to do. If even redhat has a problem with it, should I just find a new mouse? and what about the keyboard thing? any ideas?
ebrostig
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could you post the contents of:
/var/log/XFRee86.log
/etc/X11/XF86Config

This would be of a great help to try to idntify the problem.

Also post the outptut from 'emerge info'

Erik
Schlurken
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

currently Red Hat is the OS installed, and it is fixed on starting in graphical mode, I'll try to get it to kick me into text based.

Also I don't have a disk drive for my linux box, how do you suppose I go about posting those files? :p
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: