Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
windows vs. linux difference in sound quality?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
eean
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my gripe with Linux audio, is with the SB Live! 5.1 ALSA there are too many controls in alsamixer. I don't know what most of them do.

And the default is terrible. It starts off with the volume muted. Can't get worse then that. And other controls seemed poorly set as well, I had to fiddle around with it for my music and what not to sound right.

You can probably fiddle with most of these things in Windows as well in the more esoteric sound card programs. But you don't have to, it sounds fine by default. Maybe the folks writing the drivers (which, I think in this case, is mostly folks from Creative) must be leaving it up to the distros to figure out. Which seems silly, since their the ones who would best be able to make good default levels.

This probably has a lot to do with Linux's bad reputation for sound.

Once set though, I notice no difference between ALSA and Windows. I did notice an improvement from OSS to ALSA.
darksbane
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a hard time believing one OS has better sound than another, unless the drivers are -really- bad. I'd suggest playing with your volume, I find that maxing out certain volumes distorts the sound.

I have a SB Live. Actually, it does sound a bit nicer while using Gentoo. Something about having a perfectly running system makes everything better.
Tokabola
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im using an Audigy platinum, and as a musician sound quality is extremely important to me.
I have tested the sound with professional equipment and found that ALSA gives as high a quality sound (measuring dynamic range, signal to noise, and harmonic response) as Windows. I did find that ALSA can overdrive the soundcard and have to turn ALSA output to <= 80%. I had to do this in Windows also untill the latest drivers were released.

I use this box for live recording of concerts and found that Windows routinely crashes after 45 to 50 minutes of continous recording. Linux hasn't crashed with recording times up to 5 hours straight!

Guess which OS I'll be using in my studio. :wink:
eean
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tokabola wrote:
Im using an Audigy platinum, and as a musician sound quality is extremely important to me.
I have tested the sound with professional equipment and found that ALSA gives as high a quality sound (measuring dynamic range, signal to noise, and harmonic response) as Windows. I did find that ALSA can overdrive the soundcard and have to turn ALSA output to <= 80%. I had to do this in Windows also untill the latest drivers were released.

I use this box for live recording of concerts and found that Windows routinely crashes after 45 to 50 minutes of continuous recording. Linux hasn't crashed with recording times up to 5 hours straight!

But guess which OS you'll be using in the voting booth... but thats another story entirely.

It does look like the various sound levels that users are somehow supposed to know how to set are ALSA's Achilles heel .
geordie
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get great sound with an Audigy, alsa and external amp. The speakers are very high quality though. From what I remember of w****** I don't think there is any difference.

geordie
ao
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tokabola wrote:

I use this box for live recording of concerts and found that Windows routinely crashes after 45 to 50 minutes of continous recording. Linux hasn't crashed with recording times up to 5 hours straight!

I'd love to use linux in my recording studio, but I finally gave in and realized that, even as good as some of the open source software solutions are for recording, there's nothing that does as well as Pro Tools. I ended up getting a digidesign 001 several years back, and even under windows 98 (I haven't sprung for the XP version of Pro Tools LE), it's totally rock solid. When it comes to everyday stuff, I'm happy to tweak linux until it works exactly the way I want it to. When it comes to recording and being creative though, I just want something that works and works with no futzing. That's what the digi001 has been.

It still kills me to see win98 boot up, though...

That's cool that you've been recording concerts with your linux box, though. I presume you mean your own concerts, right? I grew up in Rockford, and unless times have changed, no artists I ever really wanted to record stopped through... ZZ Top at the metrocenter was the closest it came.
:wink:
equilibrium
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had lots of problems with various soundcards and have ended up using my old sblive and now it seems pretty good. I can't hear much difference but I only mainly use headphones and occaisonaly my stereo+speakers. I guess creative soundblaster have been around for a while :)
spitzwegerich
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2004 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Terratec EWX 24/96, and there are no problems using it on Linux. And, no, I won't install windoze only to check how it sounds there.

I can approve that with some soundchips the alsa mixer must not be set above ~80% if you don't like distortions.
triad
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2004 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

atom wrote:
Quote:
if your receiver can handle it, use a digital out line. that will greatly reduce your noise from the computer. i have a live5.1 hooked up to my tv/stereo through a digital connection and i use the machine for playing dvds. it sounds good to me, and i like to think i have some appreciation for sound.

I concur with atom. I have a SB Live and use the digital out into my stereo and it sounds really good. (Better then Windows) BUT my regular computer speakers (ie anolog output from card) in linux is not as good as in windows. Go figure.

Triad
Jeremy_Z
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2004 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It just depends of the driver, my fortissimo 2 definitly sounds worse. Moreover i can't set up my rear speakers :(
Chaos
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2004 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spitzwegerich wrote:
I have a Terratec EWX 24/96, and there are no problems using it on Linux. And, no, I won't install windoze only to check how it sounds there.

I can approve that with some soundchips the alsa mixer must not be set above ~80% if you don't like distortions.

How is that card? Does it sound noticeably better than other cards? And, assuming it has alsa drivers, how are the drivers? I was looking at getting a terratec a while ago, but ended up going with the santa cruz instead. I'm still interested in them though. Thanks :D
spitzwegerich
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2004 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chaos wrote:
spitzwegerich wrote:

How is that card? Does it sound noticeably better than other cards? And, assuming it has alsa drivers, how are the drivers? I was looking at getting a terratec a while ago, but ended up going with the santa cruz instead. I'm still interested in them though. Thanks :D

I love the EWX 24/96. The sound simply is great, it does 24 bit @ 96 KHz. But it is not the cheapest one: 2 years ago I paid ~160 Euros for it.
The ALSA driver for its sound chip ice1712 is very good, too, there is even a configuration tool dubbed envy24control in alsa-tools especially for this sound chip.

The card is a very puristic one. There is no game/midi port, no on-board wavetable, no plug for a direct connection from the CD-drive. The sound output is done over cinch connectors, that normally are seen in hifi-systems. There is digital in/out, too.

Terratec also sells cards based on the ice1712 sound chip with more features.

If you are looking for a card with good linux support, the most important criterion is the ALSA support for the sound chip. The manufacturer is not that important.
Ard Righ
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2004 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd just like to point out, that even though the drivers for linux are made by the community, the windows drivers made by Creative are crap in comparison.

If any of you play games for extended periods of time in Windows on an Audigy card, you may have noticed using EAX settings will cause sound to get corrupted with a nice hiss, squeak, and high pitched whine. I've updated my drivers to the latest from Creative, and still notice sound issues.
This has been a known issue in Windows support for Audigy cards, which I believe is fixed somewhat with Audigy 2 cards in Windows in the latest Creative drivers.

I guess the Linux sound support really does depend on the drivers. Windows drivers are not perfect, even if they are made by a manufacturer.

The EMU10K1 drivers for linux have never given me the headaches I've had in Windows :)
lunarg
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2004 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ard Righ wrote:
If any of you play games for extended periods of time in Windows on an Audigy card, you may have noticed using EAX settings will cause sound to get corrupted with a nice hiss, squeak, and high pitched whine. I've updated my drivers to the latest from Creative, and still notice sound issues.

Played games for extended periods (in which it was running a day or 2 non-stop), and never had sound corruption of any kind with my Audigy.
Have to agree though, that the drivers Creative design are usually downright crap. Certain releases of the drivers did have serious performance issues in some games. And I know someone who has bought an Audigy 2 NX, and he can't use it with his Cambridge SoundWorks because the drivers don't (yet) support digital out (optic nor coaxial).
Registered linux user #341804
Visit Black Manticore: http://www.blackmanticore.com/
qmic
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 11:51 pm    Post subject: On my stereo Reply with quote

I have high-end stereo (Primare - somebody knows that company?), and i cannot say that sound is noisy, but it seems to have worse dynamics and too loud medium tones, i have not bass boost or treble boost in my amplifer and i won`t use equalizer because it`s distort`s sound (no in that meaning what are you thinking about). In reply for somebodys post - jacks are VERY important.
Ephemeral
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thought i'd revive this thread, since this is exactly what ive noticed, and i feel helpless...

My Terratec Aureon Sky 5.1 definitley sound better in M$ than on Linux :cry:
lukaz
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have a hoontech/staudio/esi dsp24 and a terratec ews 88mt both cards using the envy 1712 chip and yep it signal to nois is under windows better. in terms of latency is alsa with the right patches not bad but the esi-windows-driver for my dsp24 just fucking rocks - 1ms latency @ 96!

@chaos
the terratec card are not bad but i would no more buy one because i use them also under windows. the driver there are slow and also the interface is a crappy thing... even tough i like the ews88mt for multitrackrecording. for that purpose the latency doesn't matter. have a look at esi's juli@ or m-audio cards!
pontifikas
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my opinion, Sound is one of the last remaining strongholds, preventing Windblows from kneeling before Linux(add ATI to those :evil: ).

Alsa has made astonishing progress even in the last 2 years, but is still miles away from windblows.
But this is not ALSA's fault. Blame the constructor's who turn their back to such a numerus community as the Linux and BSD.

Btw I've heard rummors that there are developer's(propably people with golden ears) trying to come up with descent sound drivers for....Windows, since they find Creative's(or other's) to be fairly...poor!!!! 8O
Matty C
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 12:53 am    Post subject: Re: windows vs. linux difference in sound quality? Reply with quote

ao wrote:

Of late, I've been thinking about trying this again, but this time using a silent notebook drive instead of going totally diskless. This raises the possibility of running either windows or linux.

You might also like to consider using an IDE flash module, that way you can run either Windows or Linux but still have it totall silent :D [link]
Malakin
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flash is _VERY_ slow.

The only reason notebook drives would be quieter then desktop drives is their rotation speed. Doesn't look like you can still get 5400rpm desktop drives but any Seagate drive is very quiet, I'm rather obsessive about having a quiet computer myself.
DeepThoughts
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ephemeral wrote:
Thought i'd revive this thread, since this is exactly what ive noticed, and i feel helpless...

My Terratec Aureon Sky 5.1 definitley sound better in M$ than on Linux :cry:

Wow... Talk about different experiences... I've also got a Terratec Aureon 5.1 Sky card (ice1724 chipset) and I feel that the sound is superior in Linux than in Windows... Of course it helps that the sound in Linux is more stable when it comes to more than one soundsource.... :twisted:
Matty C
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Malakin wrote:
Flash is _VERY_ slow.

The only reason notebook drives would be quieter then desktop drives is their rotation speed. Doesn't look like you can still get 5400rpm desktop drives but any Seagate drive is very quiet, I'm rather obsessive about having a quiet computer myself.

True. But if he's just using it to boot an OS and then pulls the MP3s off a fileserver elsewhere it's not going to be an issue.

I'm thinking about building a similar project for my car with a Via mainboard with a fanless CPU and an IDE flash module for the OS. I could just buy an MP3 headunit but that doesn't give me any bragging rights :P
ao
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Malakin wrote:

Flash is also crazy expensive compared to a notebook drive.

It's not quite true that the only reason that notebook drives are quieter than desktop drives is their rotation speed. Running at 4200 or 5400 rpm certainly helps, but there are other advantages to being smaller -- less vibration for one. I've owned 3.5" 5400 rpm desktop drives that were way noisier than my 7200 rpm barracuda IV's.

The barracuda IV's really are quiet -- I'll give them that, and as such I've used them in 5 different systems. From what I read over at www.silentpcreview.com , though (those guys are as obsessive as I am about quiet), there are a few notebook drives that really are totally inaudible. The 'cudas can't boast that.

The most important benefit of the notebook drives that I was looking for, though, really has to do with their power draw and the heat they add to the system. They draw almost nothing -- 2.5 watts or so, and just don't get hot. This then means that you can try getting away with an uber-low spinning fan in your power supply as the only fan in the system, and that's really the kind of system you need if you're looking for true quiet.
Malakin
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
But if he's just using it to boot an OS and then pulls the MP3s off a fileserver elsewhere it's not going to be an issue.
He'd be better off doing a network boot, it would be much faster and he wouldn't need the flash.

Quote:
I've owned 3.5" 5400 rpm desktop drives that were way noisier than my 7200 rpm barracuda IV's.
Yep, well brand certainly helps also :) The 5400's were probably using metal ballbearings instead of FDB.

Quote:
This then means that you can try getting away with an uber-low spinning fan in your power supply as the only fan in the system, and that's really the kind of system you need if you're looking for true quiet.
Just get something like this:
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=17-104-966&depa=0
120mm fan so you can spin it really slowly and still get some airflow and the fan is on the inside so it's even quieter, great design and it's actually made by Sparkle who is known to make decent quality power supplies.
msimplay
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alsa is making great progress with the soundcards it seems
although the relatively new intel8x0 sounds ploppy on linux
it does in windows aswell as i don't think it has bass and treble control

Anyway i remembered mandrake 9.2 not sure wether it was using Alsa or not but i know it was using Alsa in Mandrake 10 and it was a huge improvement on my Audigy Card infact the sound finally matched Windows
the treble bass and tone emulate the creative mixer controls on windows

All in all i'm not at all disappointed with Alsa great quality sound and in my experience it doesn't break up as much as the windows ones when at higher volume levels
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: