View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Marth
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 6:25 am    Post subject: Switching from Gnome to Fluxbox.. Reply with quote

First off, I'm so happy I finally got Gentoo running. :D I've been trying to find a linux distro that I really like for so long, and now I've certainly found it!

Anyhow, on to the question. Emerged gnome a few days ago - what a waste of time IMHO, very bloated. Now I've decided to switch to fluxbox, as I've tried it, and it's really slick and fast, which I like. Now, my questions are:

1. Even though I'll be using things such as gdesklets and whatnot, is it safe to emerge -C gnome? I was running 2.6.

2. In the same way, is it safe to put stuff like "-gnome -gtk" and those sorts of things in my USE flags now?

3. Finally...is it common for gdesklets to hog so much RAM? This laptop of mine has 128MB, and a 512MB swap partition, and after getting gdesklets up with 7 desklets going, it's already used at least 75% of the ram according to the meminfo desklet.

Thanks very much, as I said, so far I'm totally loving fluxbox. Hopefully everything will be working correctly one of these days. ;)
barlad
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. I would say no. gdesklets and a lot of other programs made for gnome use some gnome libraries. Doing "emerge -C gnome" will probably remove those librairies and your programs will not work anymore.
I guess one way to do it would be to remove gnome then re emerge the programs that do not work along with the dependencies it requires (that way, you don't get the whole gnome package).

2. Yes and no. I would not put "-gtk" because many applications use GTK as their graphical toolkit. Wether you use gnome or fluxbox does not matter to them. If you put "-gtk", odds are that you will get the command line version of some apps while you might rather have the graphical interface. I guess "-gnome" is safe, but you never know with all those ebuilds.
Personally, I have both gtk and gnome in my USE flags and when I see that a package needs the whole gnome stuff, I just emerge it with USE="-gnome".

3. I can't tell you. Are you sure those 75% of RAM are not mostly cached and buffered RAM?

Btw, welcome to Fluxbox. I just switched from Kahakai to Flux and well... I love it.
scout
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

barlad wrote:
Doing "emerge -C gnome" will probably remove those librairies and your programs will not work anymore.

Actually, "gnome" is an emtpy package that has many dependencies: the parts of the gnome system. unemrging gnome will do nothing because all the dependencies will stay, you have to first unmerge gnome, then unmerge the packages you don't need (either read the dependencies in gnome's ebuild, or inspire from emerge -p depclean) then with emerge -uD world, you are sure all the dependencies are met.
barlad wrote:
3. I can't tell you. Are you sure those 75% of RAM are not mostly cached and buffered RAM?
I also found gdesklet slew considerably my fluxbox, so I just don't use it anymore
Marth
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, well, I've decided I can live without gdesklets here. They're a little too heavy in CPU and RAM usage for this cruddy little laptop. So...now I'm thinking. I found a script here:
Code:
qpkg -nc -q -I -v PACKAGE | grep '^[a-z]' | sed 's/^/=/' | xargs emerge unmerge

So, I'm thinking, if I run that with gnome as the package, which of course would kill all its dependencies, and then run emerge -uD world...would that in essence let me get rid of all the extra gnome crud I won't be using anymore, while keeping those packages I need to keep fluxbox, etc running? Heh, I'm really regretting emerging gnome now...what a waste of almost 10 hours it was. ;)[/url]
GenKreton
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2004 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you use that script you should probably 'revdep-rebuild all', just to make sure nothing is broken. A great little not-so-well-known tool.
dkaplowitz
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2004 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW, you probably already know this, but a nice alternative to the gdesklets that runs with a lot smaller footprint is gkrellm. It gives you a lot of the same functionality in a small area. I think it looks cool on wms like fluxbox or WindowMaker.
joem
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2004 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would second gkrellm. Gdesklets eat up large amounts of ram, and aren't very useful most of the time. If you need something to monitor mail/system usage, go with gkrellm. Doesn't matter if you use gnome/fluxbox..things will seem slow and bloated if you have a group of desklets running.
darkarchon
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just make sure to run gkrellm2 when you kick it off from the command line. gkrellm brings up the older version and some things are not in there (i.e. the disk monitor).
"Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!" -- Patrick Henry, 1775
revertex
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dockapps is another nice alternative to gdesklets.

http://dockapps.org
niffs
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice choice! i used to use Gnome too, (On redhat) but then switched to blackbox (On FreeBSD), then to Fluxbox (On Gentoo), and now pekwm (On Gentoo). Id say fluxbox was very good.

1. If you really want gdesklets, you can probabbly unmerge gnome itself, but not the deps (dependencies). I would recomment gkrellm over gdesklets too. gnome stufs create lots of annoying config files and take up space.

2. Keep GTK, it is not gnome, GTK is only something used by it.

3. gdesklets probabbly do take up lots of ram, but I dont use them, so I wouldnt know.

By the way, pekwm is just like fluxbox, but more original and has pixmap themes and complex configuration.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: