View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dr_Who
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2004 5:43 am    Post subject: xfree 4.4.4 stable ebuild? Reply with quote

I'm new to the gentoo community, and just had a quick question(s).

How long does it take for new releases to come out on the portage tree? I noticed that xfree 4.4.4 was out and now stable but not on the package list. is there any plans for this to be done? i saw a document on howto make your own ebuilds, however haven't had a chance to read it. is it hard?

-DrWho
Stormy Eyes
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2004 5:48 am    Post subject: Re: xfree 4.4.4 stable ebuild? Reply with quote

Dr_Who wrote:
I'm new to the gentoo community, and just had a quick question(s).

How long does it take for new releases to come out on the portage tree? I noticed that xfree 4.4.4 was out and now stable but not on the package list. is there any plans for this to be done? i saw a document on howto make your own ebuilds, however haven't had a chance to read it. is it hard?

-DrWho

It looks like XFree86 will no longer be updated in portage due to license issues. Do a search through the forums on xorg-x11, read about it, and install xorg-x11 if you want to upgrade your X Window System. Xorg is completely compatible with XFree86; it works just as well and supports nVidia's binary driver if you use it.
Dr_Who
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2004 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crazy!

ok, thanks for the quick responce.
HydroSan
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2004 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. XFree86's license was changed as of 4.4.0 RC2. RC3 featured the new license, and most of the major distributions of Linux (RedHat, Mandrake, SuSe, Debian, Gentoo... 8O ) all dropped it like a hot potato. XOrg is the GPL fork of the XFree project. IIRC, they took the source of XFree 4.4.0 RC2 and re-GPL'd it.

It's KIND of what happened to DivX and XviD.

Server status: Currently down, being replaced with fresh install - 20% completed.
chris.pickett
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2004 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry, but even if it were possible to "re-GPL" something, how on earth do you do that to a project that isn't under the GPL in the first place (xfree-4.4-rc2), and for which the new target project isn't under the GPL either (xorg-6.7.0). Also, I just checked, and AFAICT, the Xorg-6.7.0 license hasn't changed from the xfree-4.4-rc2 license (although I might be missing something). The only difference is that xfree-4.4-rc3+ are not _compatible_ with the GPL, whereas rc2 and below are. No offense intended, but please get your facts straight.
s3ntient
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2004 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly..

From x.org:

Quote:
The X.Org repository is based on XFree86 4.4 RC2. Just before its 4.4 release, XFree86 adopted a new license possibly incompatible with the GPL. For this reason, we have recreated its tree as closely as possible without importing files affected by the new license. The monolithic tree is being referred to as simply "XOrg".

X11R6.7.0 contains substantial updates beyond XFree86 4.4RC2, as mentioned in the X11R6.7.0 release notes, including updated versions of Render, Xft, and fontconfig, and a greatly improved Cygwin/X port.

From the Readme:

Quote:
X Window System source code is covered by many licenses. All of these licenses have in common the fact that they do not impose significant conditions on the modification or redistribution or either source code or binaries beyond requiring one or more of the following:

1. Copyright and/or license notices are left intact.
2. Copyright and/or license notices are reproduced verbatim in documentation accompanying binary distributions.
3. Attributions are included with documentation accompanying binaries.

Most of these licenses are based on the MIT, X Consortium, or BSD (original and revised) licenses. All of them are consistent with the Open Source Definition, and most are consistent with the Free Software Foundation's Free Software Definition.

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: