[solved] Hotwayd, Privoxy, DNS Lookup fails
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
boroshan
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2004 2:30 pm    Post subject: [solved] Hotwayd, Privoxy, DNS Lookup fails Reply with quote

Hiya gang,

I'm setting up a system to wean my girlfriend away from Evil Windows and as such need to be to supply hotmail access

Hotwayd seemed the way to go, but trying to connect using kmail yeilds A temporary error occurred on an authoritative name server. This is TRY_AGAIN errno from gethostbyname(3) so it seems like the problem is with resolving host names.

Which is interesting, because privoxy, (which I've used on lots of systems without problem), fails here because it can't resolve host names.

So I'm wondering if I did anything stupid on this setup. It's standard 1.4 stage3 + grp and KDE and KDE still at 3.1. Mozilla works so the DNS can't be completely snafued

Any ideas where to look next?

Last edited by boroshan on Sat Apr 24, 2004 12:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
boroshan
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2004 12:08 pm    Post subject: solved it - I think Reply with quote

The problem seems to be the permissions on /etc/resolv.conf. When I start PPP with peerdns, it re-creates resolv.conf and does it with 640 permissions and group user.

This means that non-user uids like privoxy and hotway can't read the file, so whenever they call gethostbyname, it fails since the can't work out where to go for a DNS lookup.

There's a discussion of the problem in this thread

The solution seems to be to create or edit /etc/ppp/ip-up.local and add chmod 644 /etc/resolv.conf to the file. This should reset the perms after each recreation.

So far it seems to work :D
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: