Gentoo-sources break HP
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yogi-CH
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2004 8:19 pm    Post subject: Gentoo-sources break HP Reply with quote

Why does the Live CD load successfully & set up eth0, sound, etc., and yet when I compile the gentoo-sources my box won't get past the boot prompt??

I attempted to compile the Gentoo sources according to the handbook, then adding a couple items --sound & ATI Radeo (Frame Buffer Support, as well). The compiled kernel locks the box so tight I have to use the reset switch on the bottom.

I attempted the vanilla-sources-2.4.24, followed the same schtick as above and the box booted. I verified that everything worked that I had enabled. I added a couple other items like eth0 & PCMCIA. All modules loaded but eth0 still didn't work. I then followed the 'emerge pcmcia-cs' as instructed in the Changes file and that broke everything except the graphics.

I eradicated all vestages of source code & tried gentoo-sources, again, and had the same result.
nixnut
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2004 8:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Gentoo-sources break HP Reply with quote

Yogi-CH wrote:
I attempted the vanilla-sources-2.4.24, followed the same schtick as above and the box booted. I verified that everything worked that I had enabled. I added a couple other items like eth0 & PCMCIA. All modules loaded but eth0 still didn't work. I then followed the 'emerge pcmcia-cs' as instructed in the Changes file and that broke everything except the graphics..

The network isn't started automatically. Do "rc-update add net.eth0 default" to add the startup script to the list of scripts to be run after booting.

The other problem: if I understand correctly you can get a working system, but if you 'emerge pcmcia-cs" things break. Does your kernel have pcmcia support? Does the system still boot, if not where does it hang?
Yogi-CH
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2004 9:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Gentoo-sources break HP Reply with quote

nixnut wrote:

The network isn't started automatically. Do "rc-update add net.eth0 default" to add the startup script to the list of scripts to be run after booting.

The other problem: if I understand correctly you can get a working system, but if you 'emerge pcmcia-cs" things break. Does your kernel have pcmcia support? Does the system still boot, if not where does it hang?

I added the 'rc-update add net.eth0' and the module does not load. If I compile it into the kernel I still have a non-working eth0.

The other problem: Yes, I can get a partially-working system --graphics, sound-- but the eth0 & PCMCIA are busted and I need both, not one or the other ...or none.

The hanging comes when I attempt to use gentoo-sources & compile the kernel. I tried adding nothing and otherwise manually configuring according to the handbook. The result was an unreadable screen in roughly 360x480. I then added the FB support & the 'hard hanging' started. In FB section, I checked the first two items, then the VESA support, followed by the ATI Radeon --I have a IBP 345M. Zip, zero, nada.

There is a further problem I forgot to mention: the fact that this notebook has no external serial port so a USB --> serial adapter is necessary for dial-up & no module --I enabled everything-- loads for it. Again, no choice. It has to work.

I was ultimately forced to eradicate the entire system ...never mind 92 hours work. That hurt like hell. Now, I am debating as to whether or not it is worth any more of my time --and the required church-key-- to get the gentoo installed.

That is where it sits, unfortunately.
nixnut
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2004 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, first this: you're having problems with the kernel, so eradicating the entire system is not necessary.
Next, what hardware do you have? What model HP, what hardware? Have you searched the forums yet. Perhaps others have the same model you have.

Boot the live cd and do "lsmod". That will list the modules that the livecd kernel loaded. Good information to know, because that will need to be included in the kernel you will build later.
Stick to the vanilla-sources for now, since that at least seems to result in a bootable kernel.

And if all else fails, you can always copy the kernel image, modules and configuration files from the cd.

talk is cheap. supply exceeds demand
Yogi-CH
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2004 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nixnut wrote:
OK, first this: you're having problems with the kernel, so eradicating the entire system is not necessary.
Next, what hardware do you have? What model HP, what hardware? Have you searched the forums yet. Perhaps others have the same model you have.

Boot the live cd and do "lsmod". That will list the modules that the livecd kernel loaded. Good information to know, because that will need to be included in the kernel you will build later.
Stick to the vanilla-sources for now, since that at least seems to result in a bootable kernel.

And if all else fails, you can always copy the kernel image, modules and configuration files from the cd.

Okay... the system won't be that hard to put back in place. I was also getting 'i8253 Count too high! Resetting..' to the point that I could do nothing else but watch it fly by.

At any rate, I did write down the modules that the cd loaded, and did a diliberate search, item by item, until I found the appropriate module listed in the 'Help'. If I didn't see it, I enabled several variants in the event that the kenel would load one of them for the appropriate hdwe.

Even when I enabled the Pl-2303 (or 3303?) USB --> Serial module the module would not load when I plugged in the device. I checked in the INF file to make sure of the model#.

As the saying goes... "Been there & done that." ...so I now need to know how to hook up the CD's kernel, I guess, regardless of the fact that it, too, doesn't recognize the Pl-xxxx device so I cannot get on-line ...which is not discretionary, btw.

I have been all over the forums looking for like problems and most of them do not have the same box or mgr ...and if they do hae similar boxes the fix doesn't fix. I have an HP ze5570us w/firewire, USB, PCMCIA, LAN, Ifra-red. Got it in January & my guess is that it is too new, or something.
nixnut
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2004 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if this will be useful, but on
this page somebody got gentoo working with all bells and whistles on the ze5500. If you have the same nic, graphics, usb and firewire hardware, you may get your system working too.

Quote:
# You will notice that your network card doesn't seem to be working
# type kudzu at the prompt to install the natsemi network adapter. After it is installed, simply type dhcpcd eth0 to get online.

Yogi-CH
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2004 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nixnut wrote:
I don't know if this will be useful, but on
this page somebody got gentoo working with all bells and whistles on the ze5500. If you have the same nic, graphics, usb and firewire hardware, you may get your system working too.

Quote:
# You will notice that your network card doesn't seem to be working
# type kudzu at the prompt to install the natsemi network adapter. After it is installed, simply type dhcpcd eth0 to get online.

Many thanks for that resource! Perhaps there is hope!
nixnut
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2004 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck. Let us know how you fare.

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: