New to Gentoo- emerge sync install problem
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Adamkrier
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2004 3:33 am    Post subject: New to Gentoo- emerge sync install problem Reply with quote

Well today I decided to install Gentoo at the advice of a friend to get my hands dirty with some more in-depth linux than RedHat...
Not going well so far... lol

Here's the thing-- going through the install guide not a hitch until I get to "emerge sync" prior to progressing from stage1 to stage2. It seemed to be blazing through the updates up towards the app- games- and metadata- downloads, but then i noticed the messages started getting longer as they whizzed by, especially in the mkstemp things messages. Right now it's on recv_gene at : mkdir "/usr/portage/sys-apps/powerpc-utils" no duch file or directory, which i suppose makes sense since i'm running an x86 architecture and not a PPC, but when it got to the end of the emerge sync it gave me an error and said i should run it again because some parts failed. It automatically retried to connect and what it said was that it couldn't create directories because it is out of space. HOW can that BE?! I have an 80Gig drive in there that i partitioned as recommended with a 32Meg boot, 1024 swap, and the rest root. so i don't believe that i'm out of space, but the fact that it says it is and gives me an error because of it... that concerns me. Anyone go through similar or know what the problem is PLEASE??
dkaplowitz
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2004 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trace your steps back and see where you erred. It seems like you may have improperly entered your chroot, or possibly you didn't properly configure your partitions and/or filesystems, etc. What does
Code:
df -h
tell you?

If that all looks okay, look for a folder called /usr/portage/distfiles and delete its contents. You can do the same with /var/tmp/portage.

Good luck with the install, you will be much happier with Gentoo once you get past the install. I switched from RH and would never go back to that distro.
Adamkrier
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2004 3:47 am    Post subject: df -h Reply with quote

dkaplowitz:
df -h says "df: cannot read table of mounted filesystems: No such file or directory"

This definitely doesn't look ok..
I figured out where i messed up in the install process- i didn't create a filesystem or mount my partitions... i tried livecd / # mke2fs /dev/hda1 and got the reply:
bash: mke2fs: command not found
and i don't know how to undo what i've done. should i start from scratch?
:(
luminiscent
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2004 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

try to set filesystems in # cfdisk and then do the mounting

mkfs.ext3 /dev/hda5
mkswap /dev/hda6
mkfs.reiserfs/dev/hda7
mount /dev/hda7 /mnt/gentoo
mkdir /mnt/gentoo/boot
mount /dev/hda5 /mnt/gentoo/boot

assuming that hda5 is your boot partition, hda6 - swap and hda7 - reiserfs.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: