View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Apreche
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2004 2:46 pm    Post subject: dual head x2x setup howto? Reply with quote

Ok, I've got me a GeForce FX5900 card with a dvi out and a vga out. I have two monitors, an lcd connected by dvi and a crt connected by vga. I want to set up X in a configuration where gdm will start up with a seperate login on each monitor. I want to run ion on the crt and xfce4 on the lcd. And I want x2x to work so that I can move the mouse from one screen to the other and that the keyboard will automatically send things to the screen the mouse is on.

Presently the only X configuration I can make work with both monitors is with twinview. Twinview just makes my desktop big and wide. And I lose some space because both monitors are not the same resolution, so things go off screen that shouldn't be. Does anyone have a setup like I described above? How do you do it?
Z?
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2004 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't tried this specifically, but it should be possible to configure a different ServerLayout for each head (display). So instead of something like this in your XF86Config:
Code:
Section "ServerLayout"
    Identifier "Default"
    Screen 0 "Video0" 0 0
    Screen 1 "Video1" LeftOf "Video0"
    InputDevice "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
    InputDevice "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
EndSection

you might be able to use:
Code:
Section "ServerLayout"
    Identifier "LeftHead"
    Screen 0 "Video0" 0 0
EndSection
Section "ServerLayout"
    Identifier "RightHead"
    Screen 0 "Video1" 0 0
EndSection

Then, in /etc/X11/gdm/gdm.conf (assuming you're using GDM, not KDM... the process should be similar), you'd enter the following:
Code:

[servers]
0=LeftHead
1=RightHead

[server-LeftHead]
name=Left Head
command=/usr/X11R6/bin/X -audit 0 -layout LeftHead :0
flexible=true

[server-RightHead]
name=Right Head
command=/usr/X11R6/bin/X -audit 0 -layout RightHead :1
flexible=true

I'd also suggest that you use synergy, rather than x2x, but that's just me... haven't had any experience with x2x, but I would assume it does the same sort of thing as synergy.

...and just to make it perfectly clear: I haven't actually tried this, but I can't see any reason why it wouldn't work...
Apreche
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2004 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

two serverlayouts?? I'll try that and get back here when I do.

As for synergy, it looks like it does what x2x does, but I think it only works for having multiple computers. I have one computer with 2 x displays. I'll have to see if it supports that. I know x2x does.

Thanks.
Z?
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2004 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started thinking about my solution a bit more after I'd posted. I'm not so sure anymore if that'll actually work. I'm not entirely sure what effect the duplication of the mouse/keyboard entries would have, or if it'd even work at all... <sigh>

(edited to clarify the problems with my solution and to provide an alternate)

Problem 1: shared keyboard & mouse between the two instances probably won't work the way I was thinking...

Problem 2: the two instances of GDM will be on different VTs because of the display change (:0 and :1), which doesn't really solve your problem....
Z?
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2004 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe using a .xinitrc or .Xsession would do it? Start the different window managers on a different screens (:0.1 and :0.2)... something like this:

Code:
ion -display :0.1 &
xfce4 -display :0.2

Logging out of xfce4 would log you out entirely... no need to mess with x2x or synergy at all, then... you wouldn't be able to drag windows from one screen to the other, but that's pretty minor (and you wouldn't be able to do that with x2x/synergy, anyway...)
Apreche
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, that's pretty much what I want to do. But how does that work with gdm? And I still have to do something in the xf86config to configure the refresh rates of both of the monitors and to tell it that :0.1 is the crt and :0.2 is the lcd. I think this is going to require the help of an X expert (Xpert, lol). Soon I'm buying a new hard drive and a DVD burner. At that time I'll probably rearrange all my computer hardware, back up my data and start anew with operating systems. That's when I'll probably experiment with this more and start hunting for definite answers.
Z?
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be surprised if you can get gdm to present a login for each monitor, since that'd require two different instances of X, running on the same VT, outputting to the same video hardware...

But, anyway... I think I'm tapped out here. Maybe somebody else can help you find a solution.
meowsqueak
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have two screens configured in your XF86Config, you do not need x2x or any 'third party' mouse/keyboard handlers. X will work fine as it is, even without xinerama.
shira
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got two screen setup now, once 19" at 1280x1024 and a 15" at 1024x768
My experience with xinerama and mismatched screen resolutions was kinda shaky, it worked fine, but it was weird switching back and forth since they were difference sizes

with the setup I have now I have both screens defined so that I can't move between them:
screen 0 "screen1"
screen 1 "screen2"

I'm using x2x when I need to run things on the second screen, but I'm wondering if there's an easier way, perhaps some x command that will let me jump up to the second screen on command while still maintaining solid screen boundaries while I'm working
shira
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

any ideas?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: