do i need ntp?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
clubhi
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2004 10:54 am    Post subject: do i need ntp? Reply with quote

Ok I have a problem with my motherboard where I have to reset cmos everytime.. Lets not talk about that. But because of that I need to reset my time everytime I boot up. This is annoying. Reading past posts pointed me to ntp. I emerged it and it all works fine. The problem is, isn't this a bit of overkill? It unmerged 3 other stuff and took like 10 minutes to compile. Isnt there osmething else out there that I can use that is less complicated. Im new to linux and permissions, but I know it windows I could write a very small program to connect to a server and get the time.
adaptr
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2004 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use ntpdate if all you need to do is sync your system with an ntp server.
jjasghar
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2004 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: do i need ntp? Reply with quote

clubhi wrote:
Ok I have a problem with my motherboard where I have to reset cmos everytime.. Lets not talk about that. But because of that I need to reset my time everytime I boot up. This is annoying. Reading past posts pointed me to ntp. I emerged it and it all works fine. The problem is, isn't this a bit of overkill? It unmerged 3 other stuff and took like 10 minutes to compile. Isnt there osmething else out there that I can use that is less complicated. Im new to linux and permissions, but I know it windows I could write a very small program to connect to a server and get the time.

i know you didn't want to talk about it, but it seems, assuming my A+ knowalage is still "fresh," that type of problem with the cmos is simpley the little ion-linthum battery. replace that and you shouldn't have to worry about it.
#include <LinuxUser #324070>
main()
{
printf("and i'm sorry my spellign sucs.");
}
clubhi
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2004 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man I thought that would fix it too. But no... Is there a special technique to replacing the battery? I just switched them and did the jumper reset thing.
Right before this I was running windows (this is why I switched to gentoo) and I got a virus that downloaded 7 other viruses. I just ripped the harddrive out and put gentoo on a brand new one.
It kinda makes me wonder if the viruses could have damaged my bios??? I have already flashed my bios with 5 different versions.
jjasghar
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2004 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

clubhi wrote:
I have already flashed my bios with 5 different versions.

honestly that could mess up your bios even more. with out acutally seeing the machine i can't tell you but you might have...mmmm how do you say? f00ked it?
#include <LinuxUser #324070>
main()
{
printf("and i'm sorry my spellign sucs.");
}
clubhi
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2004 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

a bios can be flashed a lot more than 5 times. if the virus damaged the bios u could normally flash it out, but when I flash my bios it only overwrites 95% of it. There is always that 5% lingering around and I wonder whats in it.
adaptr
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2004 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

clubhi wrote:
when I flash my bios it only overwrites 95% of it.

How do you know this ?
allucid
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2004 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

why do you have to reset your cmos every time you reboot? It's generally a better idea to fix the root of the problem instead of trying to figure out a bunch of little work-arounds.

all ntp does is sync the time with a time server (same as what windowz does). the rc-script ntp-client can sync the time when you boot up (so you don't have to worry about it).

also, you can remove the clock script from the boot runlevel if you don't want to sync with your bios clock at every reboot (i think...). :)
clubhi
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2004 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nevermind the cmos problem, after trying everything that every other computer guru has told me I have come to the conclusion that its a bad bios. I just got a new mb today. everything is up and running smoothly.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: