View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KePSuX
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2004 3:44 am    Post subject: FluxBox Taskbar Reply with quote

I love FluxBox. Its lightweight, stable and I love the tabbed aplications. My only beef is I can't stand the "taskbar" they use (called "Slit"). I would kill to get Gnome-Panel running, but although it runs I cannot get windows to Iconify into it. What are other alternatives to Slit out there that may work. My biggest beef with slit is instead of having "pictures" for each desktop it has the arrows on it that you have to tabe across. I setup 6 desktops..so this becomes pretty obnoxious. Gnome-Panel has hit that on the head and it works perfect for me. Anyways...I'm pretty open to any insight. If people have screenshots of cool setups of taskbars I'd love to see those as well. Thanks!!
pianosaurus
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2004 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haven't really looked into it, but you should be aware that the slit is not the taskbar. The slit is where the docked apps are (tiny icon for messengers, tickers, pagers etc.). The taskbar is ugly, I agree, but there are a few out there that will work. You could try the developement edition. Anyways, search the forums. I read somewhere an hour or so ago about running other taskbars in fluxbox.
Beetle B.
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2004 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
My biggest beef with slit is instead of having "pictures" for each desktop it has the arrows on it that you have to tabe across. I setup 6 desktops..so this becomes pretty obnoxious.

Not exactly the solution you're looking for, but the quick way to switch is hitting Alt + F1 to go to the first desktop, Alt + F2 to go to the second, etc. I don't know when the last time I hit one of those arrows was.

Please update the table of equivalents.
A Firefox guide.
Twink
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2004 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

have you tried fluxter?, it shows a small representation of each desktop and the windows on them. And I swear one of the first fluxbox FAQ corrects the common, but wrong, belief that the taskbar is called the slit, it isn't.
rezza
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2004 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

click

Using fbpager and I only keep the fluxbox taskbar for docked apps. Fbpager is pretty sweet, I was looking for a simple pager which supported transparency and was easy to configure, but nothing I had found so far worked well or looked good.

Last edited by rezza on Thu Apr 29, 2004 1:29 am; edited 1 time in total
Frodg
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2004 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have my fluxbox set up to scroll through the desktops using the mouse wheel...

works perfectly and very very fast....

Gentoo - Registered Linux User # 361400
KePSuX
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2004 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frodg wrote:
I have my fluxbox set up to scroll through the desktops using the mouse wheel...

I use my mouse wheel in mozilla. How do you work around that?
KePSuX
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2004 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rezza wrote:
click

Using fbpager and I only keep the fluxbox taskbar for docked apps. Fbpager is pretty sweet, I was looking for a simple pager which supported transparency and was easy to configure, but nothing I had found so far worked well or looked good.[/url]

That actually looks pretty sweet. I'm going to look into it. Im still trying to find a better way to iconfy my windows, as I'm a huge fan of using that basic feature..I'm not sure I could live without it.S
KePSuX
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2004 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rezza wrote:
click

Using fbpager and I only keep the fluxbox taskbar for docked apps. Fbpager is pretty sweet, I was looking for a simple pager which supported transparency and was easy to configure, but nothing I had found so far worked well or looked good.[/url]

That actually looks pretty sweet. I'm going to look into it. Im still trying to find a better way to iconfy my windows, as I'm a huge fan of using that basic feature..I'm not sure I could live without it.
Frodg
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KePSuX wrote:
Frodg wrote:

I use my mouse wheel in mozilla. How do you work around that?

If you set up fluxbox to change with the wheel, you just need to hover over an unused section of screen and scroll (outside any open windows)

F

Gentoo - Registered Linux User # 361400
redshift
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What version of Fluxbox are you running? All you need to do to have apps minimize to the taskbar is to have an "iconbar" entry in the tools list. This resides in your ~/.fluxbox/init file. My line is:
session.screen0.toolbar.tools: workspacename, iconbar, systemtray, clock
(Notice that I can't stand the arrows for desktop-switching either - I removed them completely. Fbpager rocks.)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: