View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PowerFactor
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2004 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Giving Gnome a spin and me a headache! Reply with quote

ecatmur wrote:
Instant apply

Changes you make in regedit usualy take effect instantly. How is that a difference.
Quote:
Human-readable path names
Human-readable key names

That's rather subjective. All the path and key names in regedit are readable by some human, so you could say they are human readable. Gconf is much better than the registry in that area, but as already stated, many of the keys are still "programmer readable."
Quote:
Descriptions for keys

Ok
Quote:
Full localisation for paths, keys and descriptions

ok

Quote:
... what improvements would you make?

Someone alredy said it, but I'll say it again. Comboboxes. Or at elast some help in the key description as to the range of valid values for that key. As it is, once you do get to the kay you want to change you're in the exact same situation as with regedit. You are confonted with a little text box that could take any number of possible inputs(unless it's a boolean), only few of which are actualy valid. And you have no clue what those valuse are unless you've gathered the information from elsewhere. That's where the non-intuitave part comes in for me.
It's not as bad as regedit, but highly similar. And you have to use it for much more basic stuff than you would typicaly have to dive into the registry for in windows.

Imagine for a moment if microsoft's usability engineers decided that "normal users" didn't use the control panel and found its presence confusing. So they just rip it out saying there's always regedit for the "advanced users" To me that is pretty much what the gnome devs did with gnome 2.x.

IWBCMAN wrote:
I have never spent more than 2 minutes trying to find something in gconf-as opposed to more than a hlaf hour find something in the KDE control center.

Honestly, is there no way that you can defend you precious gconf-editor without proclaiming laughable FUD about the kde control center? :lol: I dont think it has ever took me more thant 2-3 minutes to find what I was looking for in there, even the very first time I encountered it. Unless of course what I was looking for just wasn't there, which did happen some at first. I don't thinki it would take ma a half hour to carefully reas every last dialog in kcontrol though, even the ones that I would normaly skip over because they obviuosly don't apply to my system. There realy isn't as much there as you seem to be claiming. And it certainly looks logicaly laid out (for the most part) to me.
IWBCMAN
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2004 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erik and Powerfactor

Sorry guys- you may find it impausible-but it is a fact in terms of my experience. The organization of keys in gconf-editor is quite logical and easy to understand-once you understand how it works. Admittedly it took me some time to get accustomed to it-but once you grok it- it is really simple.

The KDE control center is a nightmare-there is just way too much overlapping and too little in the way of clear distinctions for it's categoires to make any sense- it is just badly organized. It has gotten better over the years and I wish the developers all the best-but I am not alone in finding the KDE control center totally unwiedly.....

Erik- feel free to not believe me.

The difference is I know what I am talking about as regards the gconf-editor/gnome-vfs system and you don't.

You sit there for 10 minutes with GNOME on your desktop and damn the whole thing cause it doesn't work like you expect it to.

I administer a GNOME based desktop for over 300 users on a daily basis(my users have the choice of GNOME/KDE/XFCE4-default is GNOME).

What you assume is the planned similarity to regedit in windows is nothing more than the relative similarity one gets when one makes the decision to have a central configuration system. KDE has dozens, if not hundreds, of config files scattered all over the place. GNOME departs from the *NIX standard of using small hidden text files for configuring everything -each app having it's own config file(s) with their own syntax.

I have repeatedly stressed my problems with gnome-vfs and I have lauded KDE's config files for various reasons. But my complaints are based on difficulties administering multi-user setups- these issues which you have complained about here are for the most part trivial.

You are the one being silly-silliness starting this thread and silliness me responding to it. 8O
Nate_S
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2004 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can't forget that hte M$ registry looks for keys that are not even there, e.g. if you want to change an option controled by one of the undocumented keys, you have to search the web to find exactly what key to create where, as well as what value to give it.
j-kidd
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2004 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IWBCMAN wrote:
I know that some of the key names are not the absolute clearest-but your comment that hierarchical configuration editors are noninituitve is really silly. In reality I doubt you have ever seen a non-hierarchical configuration editor.

"Heirarchical" in this sense, in the sense in which it pertains to configuration, means "category-based". Now differing configuation editors differ in terms of how they define their categories.

You emphasize at the wrong thing here. A hierarchical configuration editor is unintuitive. KDE does not have any configuration editor, but nicely layout configuration dialogs, while GNOME has both. The differences between a configuration editor and a configuration dialog are clearly shown by comparing regedit (unintuitive) and Tweak UI (intuitive).

Quote:
KDE has dozens, if not hundreds, of config files scattered all over the place. GNOME departs from the *NIX standard of using small hidden text files for configuring everything -each app having it's own config file(s) with their own syntax.

All KDE config files are in .kde/share/config/, sharing the same syntax by using the kconfig framework. Any problem with that?

Quote:
But my complaints are based on difficulties administering multi-user setups- these issues which you have complained about here are for the most part trivial.

I believe this topic is about user experience of GNOME and its intention to be 99% usable for 99% of people.
wdreinhart
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2004 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is nothing at all intuitive about computers, it's all learned.
ecatmur
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 1:39 am    Post subject: Re: Giving Gnome a spin and me a headache! Reply with quote

PowerFactor wrote:
ecatmur wrote:
Instant apply

Changes you make in regedit usualy take effect instantly. How is that a difference.
Are you sure? I haven't used Windows in ages but I'm sure I remember having to restart applications or even reboot for changes to take effect. Have things changed?
Quote:
Quote:
... what improvements would you make?

Someone alredy said it, but I'll say it again. Comboboxes. Or at elast some help in the key description as to the range of valid values for that key. As it is, once you do get to the kay you want to change you're in the exact same situation as with regedit. You are confonted with a little text box that could take any number of possible inputs(unless it's a boolean), only few of which are actualy valid. And you have no clue what those valuse are unless you've gathered the information from elsewhere. That's where the non-intuitave part comes in for me.
Hmm... enum types might be nice, but would make more work for the programmer. Given that gconf-editor is not intended for use by the majority of users, it's IMO enough for the descriptions to give an idea as to what valid inputs are. Most descriptions do list valid types:
Quote:
What to do with executable text files when they are activated (single or double clicked). Possible values are "launch" to launch them as programs, "ask" to ask what to do via a dialogue, and "display" to display them as text files.
But I don't really understand why you'd want to use gconf-editor unless you already knew what value you wanted to change a setting to.
Quote:
It's not as bad as regedit, but highly similar. And you have to use it for much more basic stuff than you would typicaly have to dive into the registry for in windows.
I don't agree - I find the preferences applets to be sufficient almost all of the time.
Quote:
Imagine for a moment if microsoft's usability engineers decided that "normal users" didn't use the control panel and found its presence confusing. So they just rip it out saying there's always regedit for the "advanced users" To me that is pretty much what the gnome devs did with gnome 2.x.
But Gnome has a "control panel" - the Desktop Preferences vfolder.
I hate to sound like I'm making a challenge, but I would like to know of a typical use case where a user is forced to navigate gconf to accomplish a task that should be possible without it - as opposed to just wanting to tweak all available settings.
PowerFactor
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 2:46 am    Post subject: Re: Giving Gnome a spin and me a headache! Reply with quote

ecatmur wrote:
Are you sure? I haven't used Windows in ages but I'm sure I remember having to restart applications or even reboot for changes to take effect. Have things changed?
That may be the case with some apps, but form most system settinge the change is immediate.
Quote:
IMO enough for the descriptions to give an idea as to what valid inputs are. Most descriptions do list valid types:

The keys in regedit show what type they are too. ;)

Quote:
But I don't really understand why you'd want to use gconf-editor unless you already knew what value you wanted to change a setting to.
I dont understand why you'd be using regedit unless you already knew what value you wanted to change a setting to.

Quote:
I don't agree - I find the preferences applets to be sufficient almost all of the time.

The we'll just have to agree to disagree on that one.
Quote:
But Gnome has a "control panel" - the Desktop Preferences vfolder.

Ok, so I got a little forgetful there. But it still has at least one glaring(in more ways than one :wink:) omission IMO(see below). And are the gnome devs so kind as to provide a link to that by default now. Or the gentoo gnome packagers maybe. In 2.0 they didn't, That's probably one reason I harbor so much disgust with gnome. When I installed 2.0 on gentoo I there was no link to the prefs vfolder, no links to any configuration tools to speak of. I sat there frustrated thinking whats the point of runing a bloated de if I'm going to have to hand edit the configs like fvwm. Not a good first impression to say the least. Since then my only gnome experiences have been on redhat9, and they do have a link to the prefrences vfolder on there. There, I've admitted that I'm biased by a bad first impression and lack of experience with the latest version.(though from what I've seen in this thread and others it doesn't look like much has changed) Maybe some of the kde bashers here will come clean too because thats what I see when I read those posts. :wink:

But here is one thing that I would like to know if it is possible at all in gnome, or if they've added it since 2.2, because I sure cant find it, not even in gconf.
How do I change the colors whithout having to find a theme that matches what I want exactly. I like bluecurve but it's just a tad to bright for me(especialy on gentoo) by default. And the super dark ones don't work for me either. This is not a trivial vanity matter, it's a matter of being able to use the comp without being subjected to excessive eyestrain. this is a showstoper for me. In windows and kde I've always been able to tweak the colors from within the gui(and the dialog isn't hard to find) so it seems like I should be able to do it in gnome. But so far the only way I've found is to dive into the theme files and modify them. Please point me to the glaringly obvious color config dialog that I missed. :?
ecatmur
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Desktop Preferences is now a vfolder in the Gnome Menu. Also, new users get a Start Here launcher on the desktop that brings up the Start Here vfolder which contains a lanucher for the Desktop Preferences vfolder. You can always remove these if you want to, of course.

Regarding theme colours... yes, you do have to edit them by hand. I guess this is because theme rc files are so complex that the UI to edit them would be hopelessly complex. Plus I guess the Gnome UI people see altering theme colours as pointless tweaking that just gets in the way of productivity. I guess that isn't true in your case... have you thought of writing a theme to help avoid eyestrain? You might be able to make a case for it to be shipped with Gnome, as accessibility and ergonomics are always popular with the Gnome project.

Maybe what people need is a TweakUI for Gnome... something with the options most people aren't interested in, but targeted at people who don't like getting their hands dirty in gconf-editor and config files.
PowerFactor
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ecatmur wrote:
Desktop Preferences is now a vfolder in the Gnome Menu. Also, new users get a Start Here launcher on the desktop that brings up the Start Here vfolder which contains a lanucher for the Desktop Preferences vfolder. You can always remove these if you want to, of course.

That's a good thing. I had thought the "Start Here" launcher was a redhat/fedora addition. Though at first I figured it was just a link to some kind of first start wizard that I didn't want. I almost deleted it without even looking at it. But I guess it makes sense to other people.

Quote:
Regarding theme colours... yes, you do have to edit them by hand. I guess this is because theme rc files are so complex that the UI to edit them would be hopelessly complex. Plus I guess the Gnome UI people see altering theme colours as pointless tweaking that just gets in the way of productivity. I guess that isn't true in your case... have you thought of writing a theme to help avoid eyestrain? You might be able to make a case for it to be shipped with Gnome, as accessibility and ergonomics are always popular with the Gnome project.

I actually did dive into the theme files once. I was using bluecurve on kde and I wanted to make my gtk apps match the toned down version I had on kde. It wasn't that hard once I figured out which files and values to modify. But thankfully I shouldn't have to do it again as long as I keep using kde. The "Apply colors to non-KDE applications" in the control center actually overides gtk theme colors now. And does so flawlessly as far as I can tell. Which brings us to the complexity point. If the kde folks can write a gui dialog to tweak gtk(and qt simultaneously) theme colors that isn't hopelessly complex then the gnome folks should be able to do it too. So my guess is they have deliberately chosen not to and that seems like a mistake to me.
And it just seems a little odd to me that the only gui tool available for modifying gtk theme colors would be the kde control center. :lol:

As for contributing the themes, it never really crossed my mind. I'm not a ui designer or an artist. I just know what doesn't hurt my eyes. And all I did change a couple of numerical rgb values in the bluecurv themes anyway. I guess I just don't think of a color scheme as something to contribute because I don't think it's something that should be "hardcoded" in the first place. And the defalt bluecurve theme is probably ergonomically fine for 95% of the population anyway. I'm just in that 5% that the gnome devs have essentially told "shove it we don't want you anyway." I'm just glad kde is available or I'd really be grumpy. :wink:

Quote:
Maybe what people need is a TweakUI for Gnome... something with the options most people aren't interested in, but targeted at people who don't like getting their hands dirty in gconf-editor and config files.

Well, at least you and me, and apparently Erik, can agree on something now. 8O
Evangelion
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IWBCMAN wrote:
numerodix,

You may find it bizzare but the statement is borne of practical experience. The KDE control center has such a bazillion options that it is almost impossible to penetrate.

I have zero problems "penetrating" it. My GF has no real problems using it either.

And besides, Gconf has bazillion options, how is it more "usable"?

Quote:
If I have a free afternoon it is some times amusing to simply spend a day with the KDE control center.

Is it also "amusing" to go through Gconf? I REALLY fail to see why Gnome-folks laught at the KDE Control Center, yet at the same time they really seem to think that Gnomes Registry-wannabe is a "good thing"?

Quote:
I have crashed the KDE control center no less than a 100 times and frequently I had to restart X to get KDE up and running right again.

Funny, I have NEVER had that kind of problems with either KDE or it's Control Center. And I run KDE on my old laptop using ~x86-keyword.

Quote:
And most importantly I do not have the option of avoiding the control center-KDE is absolutely unusable for me in it's default configuration, so I must use it to make configuration changes which render KDE usable for me.

And that's different from going through Gconf in Gnome.... How exactly? Well KDE CC has nice GUI's for the options, whereas Gconf sends chills down the spine if you have ever seen Windows Registry....

Quote:
If you knew anything about gnome-vfs you would undertand how superficial the suppossed similiarity between gconf-editor and the windows registry really is.

I know the two are different at the core, but the fact remains that using the two is very similar.
Evangelion
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IWBCMAN wrote:
but I am not alone in finding the KDE control center totally unwiedly.....

And, again: how is that different from Gconf? Well with KDE CC you have nice GUI to do the changed, with Gconf you do not, you just have some more or less archaic keywords.
IWBCMAN
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evangelion,

Perhaps it is merely an issue of taste, 8)

One think which might help this thread is a little clearer delineation of the things being talked about.

GNOME uses the gconf/gnome-vfs system as its configuration store. It consists of very many,many tiny xml files located in /etc/gconf. This system is only directly exposed via the command line, ie. gconftool. These files are not directly human editable because they are created dynamically according to definitions in schema files. Above this layer there are two levels of configuration which are tied into the bottom layer.

1) the application preferences panel

2) the gconf-editor

all of the options in 1) are also to be found, along with other options, in 2). In other worlds the gconf-editor presents a superset of the available configurable options present in the preferences panel. The gconf/gnome-vfs presents a superset of the available configure options in both the gconf-editor and the preferences panel.

The whole approach behind this system is based on exposure. gconftool exposes the underlying system in a way most suitable to admins. It is quite arcane, complex and powerful. The gconf/gnome-vfs system is an evolving system subtely changing from one release to the next, recent work has been geared towards allowing for fine control of locking -ie. delimiting the range of customization options available to the user. This system is really suited for distributors-or those who administer many, many desktops.

The gconf-editor exposes a subset of those things accessible via gconftool in a graphical application. The keys in gconf-editor are the same keys one uses with gconftool and these are in turn the name of actual files within the gnome-fvs directory ie.
>>/etc/gconf/gconf.xml.defaults/
apps/gnumeric/file/history

My problems with the gconf/gnome-vfs system are twofold. Implimenting a schema is simply beyond the range of my skills. It appears to be a massive undertaking and only a team of people committed to this can pull it off.

Secondly I need to have very specific icons with specific command-line options placed in a specific order on the top taskbar(ie. putting icons for all commonly need tools and applications(nautilus, mozilla, epiphany, evolution, gaim, staroffice(3 icons), openoffice-ximian(4 icons), tsclient(for rdesktop),mtoolsfm(floppy access) and gnome-cups-manger).

These icons must neither be deletable nor removable. Yet I still want to allow for people to add their own apps to the bars(ie. top and bottom). Moreover I need to be able to change the command line options of tsclient for example-easily and instantly applied for all users. I found this task to be quite challenging to say the least.

I ended up fighting with the system and hacking until I got it to work. But I don't complain about these issues as a user- in my usage patterns these are non-issues-but they are crucial for me in terms of my role as administrator-administering 300+ desktops.

What is obvious for those of us who have tracked the developed of GNOME 2.X is that more work has gone into developing a very powerful complex virtual file system than has gone into the tools via which we as users and as admins can interact with this system.

GNOME 2.0 was badly crippled lacking even the gconf-editor. GNOME-2.2 had no way of really contolling the preferences in terms of lockdown behavior. GNOME-2.4 ushered in gfonctool2 which offered much in the way of deperately needed features(ie. -dump, which enabled one to dump the preferences of a given configuration to use as the basis for gconf.xml.defaults). And finally with GNOME-2.6 fine grained lockdown control is now widely implemented.

In reality what we have seen are two disparate configuration worlds slowly converging. On one end the preference panels-which expose only a bare minimum of common configuration-enough for most users, most of the time. On the other end a very powrful virtual file system which is a distributors dream- allowing for distro-based desktop management(thanks redhat/sun).

When 2.0 came out there was vitually no convergence between the two. With the gconf-editor a bridge has been built between the two-although it is far closer to user end of the spectrum than it is to the admin's end.

I for one would have no problem with a tweakUI sort of interface being made available- even though I do not think I would need it-and I would not make it available to the LTSP client machines which I admin.

What I believe is still lacking is a way to easily prototype an entire desktop graphically and use it's generated settings as the basis for profiled defaults. It would be ideal if I could establish workgroup profiles and issue a desktop according to such profiles using such a desktop graphical configurator.

For further reading I recommend the GNOME 2 Desktop System Administrator's Guide:
http://www.gnome.org/learn/admin-guide/latest/

I have run out of time now- I will retrurn later to contrast how KDE handles configuration.
wilburpan
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IWBCMAN wrote:
Sorry guys- you may find it implausible-but it is a fact in terms of my experience.

In medicine, we call this anectdotal evidence. Basically, it is one person's experience, which may or may not hold for all others. For example, when I read this:
IWBCMAN wrote:
You may find it bizzare but the statement is borne of practical experience. The KDE control center has such a bazillion options that it is almost impossible to penetrate. There are many many options that are worded almost identical to other options rendering it quite difficult to know which does which.

If I have a free afternoon it is some times amusing to simply spend a day with the KDE control center. I do this at least once every time a new version of KDE comes out-just to get a vague notion of where I should even begin to look. Then of course there is the stability option-I have crashed the KDE control center no less than a 100 times and frequently I had to restart X to get KDE up and running right again.

And most importantly I do not have the option of avoiding the control center-KDE is absolutely unusable for me in it's default configuration, so I must use it to make configuration changes which render KDE usable for me. I do appreciate the work the KDE guys have put into the control center-it is kind of like a grand central station for every option which they can cram into it.

I can say that this mirrored my experience almost exactly -- except the words "KDE" and "KDE control center" needed to be replaced with "Gnome" and "gconf".

Does this make IWBCMAN's experience invalid and mine valid? Of course not. We probably have two different expectations as to what our desktop should be like, and for one of us, Gnome is closer to that expectation, while for the other, KDE is closer.

How about the crashing issue? I found Gnome to be more unstable than KDE, whereas IWBCMAN's experience is the opposite. Different hardware, different CFLAGS, different build environments -- all of these factors and more can easily explain this. This problem is not limited to Gnome/KDE -- look at all the threads in this forum where someone reports an issue, and someone else replies "Works for me."

Finally, IWBCMAN has brought up the issue of system administration. Gnome may very well be more suited in this sort of environment than KDE. I don't know -- I'm not a sys admin. But most of the recent discussions of Gnome pros/cons have been centered around the enduser experience.

Anyway, that's my $0.02, and my attempt at calming things down.
michel v
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm puzzled, WTF do you guys use gconf-editor for?

Personally, I only ever use it to set Nautilus not to display the desktop, to make Metacity's titlebar font editable (that really should be the default), and to make gstreamer use alsasink instead os osssink.

Unless you're deliberately looking for hopeless complications, you never ever need to use gconf-editor...
So this whole trolling about gconf-editor is just glorious nitpicking.
ralph
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

michel v wrote:

Personally, I only ever use it to set Nautilus not to display the desktop, to make Metacity's titlebar font editable (that really should be the default), and to make gstreamer use alsasink instead os osssink.

Unless you're deliberately looking for hopeless complications, you never ever need to use gconf-editor...

So you are giving us three examples of using the gconf-editor but accuse other people of trolling for stating that they have to use it?

Maybe I will be trolling in your eyes, but I hadn´t used gnome for some time and wanted to give 2.6 a go. As I have as anyone else ways of doing things I just wanted to configure gnome to a point where it was more usable to me. And now this is the point where it gets annoying. I don´t even know if some option I want exists, but I have to hunt around various places to find out if its there or not. Hm, no it´s not under the application´s options. Maybe it´s in Desktop Preferences? No, then let´s take a look at gconf-editor. So yes I had to use gconf-editor and no it is in no way userfriendly to someone who doesn´t know his way around this tool.

Oh, and by the way, in case anyone else is searching for the advanced options of epiphany. They are not to be found in any of the places mentioned abouve, but you have to type about:config in the address bar. Very consistend indeed.
IWBCMAN
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wilburpan,

Quit being so damned reasonable :D

I do find it fascinating how often anecdotal evidence is quite often so radically contradictory.

Also I have done my very best to avoid saying "this" or "that" "sucks". I have my issues with KDE -things about the control center I really dislike(overlapping, unclear division of preferences). Yet there are certain facetts of the KDE configuration system which are really wonderful(simply modifying and copying the *rc files into /etc/skel/.kde3.2/share/config) . So I do not universally *hate* KDE's way of handling configuration. I simply wanted to counter some of the anti-GNOME sentiment in this thread and shed a little light on the issues which I as an administrator have uncovered using GNOME. I dont have the luxury of knee-jerk "this DE just sucks" attitude-I have to administer them for users who need them. Moreover I have gone out of my way to not belittle the developers because of my personal issues. Sorry if I sometimes come across as being arrogant...
IWBCMAN
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ralph,

Epiphany is based on Mozilla- you know that. If the options you want to change in Epiphany are actually tied to Mozilla about:config is the only way to get there. That is not Epiphany's fault(ie. the developers) that is a *feature* of Mozilla...
ralph
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IWBCMAN wrote:
ralph,

Epiphany is based on Mozilla- you know that. If the options you want to change in Epiphany are actually tied to Mozilla about:config is the only way to get there. That is not Epiphany's fault(ie. the developers) that is a *feature* of Mozilla...

I know it is based on Mozilla but no the option I was looking for was not tied to about:config, so they could and should have provided an other more consistent way to change it.

My point is that options are strewn all over the place, that the tool provided for setting advaned options simply is unnecessarily hard to use and simply not userfriendly (Hey, it might be great if you know your way around gconf-editor, but that doesn´t exactly help new user), that there is no way to really find out if an option I want even exists or not.

Epiphany is just an particulary bad example of what is annoying me. I mean just look at the firebird options. You can´t call it exactly cluttered, can you, but nevertheless you get a lot of options. With epiphany on the other hand you get nearly no options at all so that you are forced to use about:config. So, which approach is more userfriendly?
michel v
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firefox is guilty of the same about:config abuse, when there are some options that should just remain in the prefs dialogs: the preferred language for multilingual websites, for example. I believe Epiphany does that right, but I shall check later today.
(And I know I could just use a localised build of Firefox, but do I want to run a binary that doesn't come from and won't be handled by my distro's package management?)

So, really, the problem with about:config is not with Epiphany itself (in fact, some useful options have been relocated to gconf keys, "middle click paste loads URL" for example), but with the Gecko component.
ecatmur
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ralph wrote:
michel v wrote:

So you are giving us three examples of using the gconf-editor but accuse other people of trolling for stating that they have to use it?
Well, one and two are just tweaking (no-one needs those options) and the third is accessible through the gstreamer-properties applet (they really need to give it a launcher so people know where it is).
ralph
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ecatmur wrote:
ralph wrote:
michel v wrote:

Well, one and two are just tweaking (no-one needs those options) and the third is accessible through the gstreamer-properties applet (they really need to give it a launcher so people know where it is).

This is getting funnier by the minute.
Just one question guys, if the gconf-editor isn´t needed for anything, why is this useless application there in the first place?

And I allways love someone telling me what other people need or don´t need, want or don´t want.
ecatmur
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No-one was ever prevented from getting their work done by not being able to put their favourite font in the titlebars.
And no-one who is working in the Gnome environment needs to turn off the desktop - except to replace it with another desktop, in which case the provider of the alternative desktop can instruct the user on what to do, so they don't need to go hunting around - or the alternative desktop can make that setting itself.

I'm not saying that gconf-editor is useless, just that the majority of users will not need to use it, because the settings inside are not essential to being able to get their work done. It is of main use for development and desktop administration. If a sizeable number of users need to use gconf-editor to do something related to getting their work done, then that key neds to be moved into a preferences panel. If not, then it needs to be kept out of the preferences panels to avoid clutter.

Perfection is not reached when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
IWBCMAN
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ecatmur,

Well put, succinct and to the point.

:wink:
ralph
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ecatmur wrote:
No-one was ever prevented from getting their work done by not being able to put their favourite font in the titlebars.
And no-one who is working in the Gnome environment needs to turn off the desktop - except to replace it with another desktop, in which case the provider of the alternative desktop can instruct the user on what to do, so they don't need to go hunting around - or the alternative desktop can make that setting itself.

I'm not saying that gconf-editor is useless, just that the majority of users will not need to use it, because the settings inside are not essential to being able to get their work done. It is of main use for development and desktop administration. If a sizeable number of users need to use gconf-editor to do something related to getting their work done, then that key neds to be moved into a preferences panel. If not, then it needs to be kept out of the preferences panels to avoid clutter.

Perfection is not reached when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.

Is it me, my bad english, or why don´t people understand what I´m saying? Believe it or not I like the idea of just showing the most needed config options and having some sort of advance config tool. However, there is nothing in this idea forcing anyone to build something so userunfriendly as the gconf-editor.

And there are several options I´m sure a lot of people would like to use. Telling nautilus not to behave spatial could be such a thing, if you just think about how many people complain about spatial nautilus.

And changing the titlebar font is an other thing many people would like to do without hunting through the gconf-editor. Even if you don´t belive it, there are people that want a bigger font for their title bar in order to be able to read it better.
And why you can change the other fonts and changing title fonts is even displayed but blanked out is beyound me.
Relegating this option into the depth of the gconf-editor didn´t even reduce clutter. it achieved nothing, it only is annoying.
IWBCMAN
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ralph,

And if we (GNOME developers/users/admirers) start going down that path -adding all of the options that some people "would like to have" at the end of the day you would end up with what bothers me to no end with KDE.

Each prference panel would consist of umpteen sub-panels with 60 odd click-widgets, 10 drop down scroll pickers and five different viewing panes...

You would like to have these options in a preference panel. That is valid. But a whole lot of folks have embraced the design decision behind GNOME 2.X.

Are you so adamant that you would insist that all other GNOME users share your likes/dislikes, or can you simply suffice it to say- I don't like the new GNOME and I choose to use XXX instead....

I myself have gotten frustrated with certain GNOME apps which have gone to far in this direction. Epiphany is so minimalistic that it actually borders on a loss of functionality-which is why when I am not using Mozilla/Firefox I use Galeon. But by and large I agree with the decisions that have been made- they appeal to my sense of taste and usage patterns.

If enough people gripe(ie.gnome's bugzilla) about a particular thorny configuration option which ought to be in the preferences panel of a particular app- it most likely will find it's way into that panel. This is a far less troublesome approach than the other way around.

And if you want to lead an initiative for a "tweakUI" kind of app I will support it....
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: