View posts from last 7 days

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wilburpan
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2004 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I just finished uninstalling Gnome from my laptop after giving it a good two weeks of use. I normally use KDE on my work laptop and OS X at home, and I have to deal with (gack) Windows computers at work, so I am used to fiddling with different desktop environments. I was able to get Gnome to mimic most of the things that I like in OS X. I got the physical layout of the program launchers in the taskbar to match the order of my program launcers in the KDE taskbar and the OS X dock. I was able to put the close/minimize/maximize buttons in the upper left hand corner, like in OS X (I got KDE to do this, too). So at least I was able to make the Gnome desktop consistent with my other desktop environments.

So why am I bailing on Gnome now?

1. Bugginess. There are too many things that I haven't been able to fix. Epiphany crashes on me. Evolution crashes on me. Rhythmbox also crashed on me quite a bit. The sound system was quite buggy until after about a week of searching the Gentoo forums and googling. Not that KDE or OS X are perfect, either, but they both took far less work than Gnome did.

2. Speed. Epiphany in particular took a long time to load. Perhaps this is because it's based on Mozilla, which also takes a while to load, but Konqueror is pretty snappy in comparison. Also, for no particular reason that I could fathom, every so often Gnome would stop responding and then start working again after about 30 seconds or so.

3. HIG working against me. I really missed the ability to configure the Gnome menu and Epiphany bookmarks in the order that I would like, instead of being locked into an alphabetical arrangement. My bookmarks are mainly arranged in alphabetical order, but I put the most often used groups of bookmarks at the top of the menu, where it's easier to get at. Ditto for the application menu in KDE.

4. Networking issues. I could not figure out how to get Nautilus to access my network at work. Every time I would try to connect to the network, it would hang and lock Gnome. In KDE I have to mount my network shares via a terminal, but then I can easily browse the network via Konqueror, and at least KDE doesn't hang on me if I forget to do mount the network shares.

I did like the window manager speed in Gnome, when it was not being unresponsive. However, I could not say that Gnome was necessarily any more "lightweight" than KDE. I got used to spatial mode Nautilus, but could not say that it was any better than browsing mode. I also liked the menu consistency in Gnome. But the negatives far outweighed the positives.

I plan on giving Gnome another try when it hits version 2.6.2, though, to see if the bugginess has improved.
ralph
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2004 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

charlieg wrote:

Gnome looked at this, said 'everything should be intuitive and look and feel the same way, and things that people don't need shouldn't be there, and things that are rarely ever needed shouldn't be in the face of people that do not need them'. Thus the HIG was born.

And the result is a clean, polished, intuitive, and consistent desktop. And now power users like yourself are lamenting the fact that you occasionally are inconvenienced by it's cleanness.

But that is the point, isn´t it? Like I said before I really like the idea of a clean, polished, intuitive and consistent desktop and I can appreciate the reasons for only presenting the most commonly used options to the user at first, but, and that is my problem with gnome, it simply doesn´t live up to it´s promise.

Just look at your comments. For every complaint there is people get a RTFM, why would you want to do it anyway, search the forum, ....
This is not intuitive!

Having to press Ctrl+L in order to select certain files is simply not intuitive.
Having to press Ctrl+L and type printer:/// to configure your printer simply is not intuitive.
Having to dig in the gconf-editor in order to be able to change your title font is not intuitive. And though you and the gnome devs might not belive it, I´m sure there are a lot of people who want to do such a thing that simply don´t know what metacity is and quite frankly they shouldn´t have to know simply to change a font.

The gnome interface is not consistent and intuitive. Take epiphany, for example. I wanted to change some preferences and first looked at edit -> preferences which gave me only some very basic options. Once again, that´s fine and all. So, having learned how gnome is supposed to work i figured, if they aren´t here I should take a look at the gconf-ediot, but, surprise, surprise, there was nothing to be found in there.
I later learned that all I had to do was to type in about:config, which of course makes some sense, as epiphany is based on mozilla, but once again, this is neither consistent, nor intuitive.

So my main problem with gnome is that it simply doesn´t live up to what it proclaims to be and constantly proclaiming how consistent and intuitive it is does not change that!
hellbringer
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2004 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ralph wrote:

Having to press Ctrl+L in order to select certain files is simply not intuitive.
Having to press Ctrl+L and type printer:/// to configure your printer simply is not intuitive.

I think the CTRL+L to show hidden files is a bug, and I think they are trying to fix it. How this passed through the release cycle amazes me.
semiSfear
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2004 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ebrostig wrote:
fusibou wrote:
To avoid compiling epiphany (which I do) just use the emerge -i (inject) command for the epiphany package and mozilla.

I know I can do that, but it is really beyond the point. I should not have to do things like that. Epiphany should be happy that I have Mozilla-FireFox installed. If it needs something else from Mozilla (headers etc), it should be a separate package. This is forcing people to install Mozilla when they actually uses something different.

Gnome? A piece of crap!

Erik

I believe ephipany depends on the mozilla headers that come with the mozilla package, no? This becuase mozilla-firefox has different headers, I am not 100% sure on this thou. And it's not Gnome's fault that the headers doesn't come in a seperate package, that is something the Mozilla developers decide. I don't like ephipany so I often edit the gnome meta ebuild and comment the packages I wan't left out. You may wan't to try that aproach too. With other packages that is.

This thread is a bit too long for me to follow. So I feel it's a bit hard to jump into the discussion, so I'm not gonna bother with replies so much. But before I do I must ask you. It seems to me that you like KDE more (I do too lately, am a bit disapointed with Gnome myself), has KDE always compiled perfectly for you. Haven't you had problems or questions with KDE. I know I have, there are stupid features and bugs in both of the DE's.
nempo
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2004 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ebrostig, emerge gnome-lite ?

Gnome is a collection of packages and epiphany is a package of this collection, emerge gnome simply installs all those packages that are included in the 'gnome collection'.

[flame_food]
I know, lets try to install KDE without konquerer and see how easy that is. Didn't go to well ? Then stop bitching.
[/flame_food

The 'can't select hidden files' WAS a bug. It's fixed now. You just need to press '.' in the ctrl-l dialog and up comes a list of all your hidden files.

The mozilla devs are working on the GRE (gecko runtime environment) that will do away with all the unecessary dependencies.

would Big Brother become a reality?

Yeah . . . it would be just like the tv show. Except somebody would be watching.
shm
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2004 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nempo wrote:
The mozilla devs are working on the GRE (gecko runtime environment) that will do away with all the unecessary dependencies.

Yeah, I think that the GRE will be very important in the future of GNOME.. some people don't bother installing Epiphany right now because of the Mozilla-dependency, and if Gecko gets more encroached in more GNOME apps (like yelp), the GRE will be more important.
Evangelion
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2004 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nempo wrote:
[flame_food]
I know, lets try to install KDE without konquerer and see how easy that is. Didn't go to well ? Then stop bitching.
[/flame_food.

I would guess you could do that by simply emerging KDE with DO_NOT_COMPILE=konqueror. Of course you could install KDE in pieces by default (like Debian does), but you need to talk to the packagers for that.
ebrostig
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2004 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ivanova wrote:

ebrostig wrote:
And these are my experiences with Gnome. Are you saying that I'm lying? Are you saying that my experiences are not valid? Are you saying that the points I make are false and have no root in reality?

No, No, yes

huh?

You are saying that I'm lying? Thank you.

These experiences are with a spanking brand new installation of Gnome. If you call this lying, then Gnome is "lying" to me.

Erik
ebrostig
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2004 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellbringer wrote:
ralph wrote:

I think the CTRL+L to show hidden files is a bug, and I think they are trying to fix it. How this passed through the release cycle amazes me.

Control+L does not show hidden files, it just pops up a box where you can type in the path manually! Woow... great stuff huh? :)

And to people who start discussing KDE. This is not a KDE thread nor have I compared anything in here to KDE. KDE is not the issue here, Gnome is. KDE has it's own quirks too and it has been discussed up and down in these forums. The same goes for all "Gnome roxors" threads. but when someone posts a thread with examples of how useless Gnome is, i get flamed and bitched at. Well, I did not expect otherwise.

I wish some of you Gnome zealots did the same as i did and did not rely on previosu intimate knowledge about Gnome, even better have a person who has never used gnome do the same as I did.

Erik
sapphirecat
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2004 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Giving Gnome a spin and me a headache! Reply with quote

ebrostig wrote:
First step, change background image. I have some really great space art in my .wallpapers directory. Ok, click on "Applications', then 'Desktop Preferences', then 'Desktop background' What????? It doesn't show my hidden directories? hmmm.... no way of changing the behaviour. Ok, close the app and click on "Applications', then 'Desktop Preferences', then 'File Management'. Cool, there is an entry here, 'Show hidden and backup files'. Selected it and closed the app and went back to changing my background. What???? Still no hidden directories? WTF! This is crazy. back and check that I actually select what i thought I ahd selected. Yes, still there. Damn! What is happening?

Something occurred to me: if that setting actually makes hidden stuff show up in Nautilus proper (not the rushed half-assed hack of a fileselector GTK provides) and you can get into .wallpaper that way, dragging the image to the background selector would set it.

Not that this is very useful now that you're using a better DE.
Skrot
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2004 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ebrostig wrote:
Control+L does not show hidden files, it just pops up a box where you can type in the path manually
Well I dunno about it *having* to be manually. You can press ctrl-l and then type in "dot" (ie "."), and then you get a list of hidden files to select from (with the mouse!).

So no, not *entirely* manual.
IWBCMAN
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2004 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charlieg,

There is really no point in dragging this whole thing out. I happen to largely agree with you, but you are banging your head against *a* (Ebrostig's head) wall in this thread. This thread was posted as a counter-thread to the one you startedīt's only purpose is to debunk some suppossed *mythological* superiority of GNOME, and of course in so doing it simply bypasses the *actual* superiority of GNOME :evil:

Ebrostig,

The problem with gdm is a problem with the portage ebuild. The place for gdm sessions was changed to /usr/share/xsessions and the format for a session changed to a '.desktop' file, here is mine to illustrate what it looks like:
Code:

[Desktop Entry]
Encoding=UTF-8
Name=kde
Comment=This session logs you into KDE
Exec=/usr/kde/3.2/bin/startkde
TryExec=/usr/kde/3.2/bin/startkde
# no icon yet, only the top three are currently used
Icon=
Type=Application

The issue with hidden files was somewhat of a shocker to me-I am glad to hear that it has now been fixed. Ctrl-l is *not* an optional solution for typing things in-but it is not the end of the world.

Ebrostig you are more than entitled to your opinions. Avoid GNOME if you feel so inclined. Yet you are an extremely opiniated user with very specific expectations. This is not a bad thing-it comes with your experience.

You represent the logical opposite of what GNOME is targetting. You are a power user who is used to configuring every little thing to be exactly like you want it and are used to using more obscure features of *NIX(hiding things in *hidden* directories) than the vast majority of desktop users.

Although your example with the hidden folder for your background images is rather meaningless for the vast majority of users-it does point to the real *bug* concerning displaying hidden files.

In the Linux world there is no getting around working with hidden files-anything which makes this difficult(let alone impossible) is simple stupidity-as much as I love GNOME there is no excuse for such an oversight.

Finding a particular option in gconf is about a thousand times easier than finding a particular option in the KDE control center. Although gconf("Configuration Editor") does contain many keys-it is not an overwhelming number.

Comparing it to the windows registry is really old and meaningless- only the most superficial glance can lead to the mistaken assumption of similarity. I have a number of problems with gconf-mainly from a system admin point of view-the gconf-editor is not even an issue in my book.

I use gnome-keyring for nautilus to connect to the server I administer at work. I needed about 5 minutes to figure out the syntax to get it going-I then set up ssh to login without a password and now I have ultra-ultra smooth access to my remote files. It works incredibly good. Zero complaints here.

I understand that you hate the direction GNOME *appears* to be going. But your perception of where it is headed is, simply put, wrong. How do I know ? I have been paying close attentiton to each stage of GNOME's development for the past three years. You don't want to use it. Fine, don't.

I could not settle for anything less than GNOME for my desktop and I wouldn't dare expose those illiterate computer users, for whom I administer an LTSP system, to the disaster of KDE -taken in it's entirety-even though there are a number of good KDE apps.
robmoss
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2004 2:48 am    Post subject: Re: Giving Gnome a spin and me a headache! Reply with quote

ebrostig wrote:
wdreinhart wrote:

And really, I'm not saying you don't have a valid point about the filechooser, but why put your wallpapers in a hidden folder?

Now you are also going to tell me that the option for widows fonts are not disabled in the font configuration applet too?

Why I have my wallpapers in a hidden folder?
1. That is not something Gnome should bother with
2. My reason is simple. they are files I don't use often and by putting them in .-directory, it makes my home dir a lot less cluttered. I hide every directory i don't use on a regular basis.

Gnome should give me a simple way of toggle between showing hidden files and not.

I still haven't figured out how to turn on hidden file display. If some Gnome guru could tell me or tell me where it is documented, I'd be happy.

Erik,

This is actually quite a nice feature. Hidden files in GNOME take on two different types. There are hidden folders, and folders you hide. This is in the docs for Nautilus, by the way.

Basically, a hidden folder tends to contain stuff the user ordinarily wouldn't want to see - stuff like your Mozilla Firefox chrome stuff. So that stuff is largely invisible unless you explicitly specify its path.

However, a folder you hide is a different thing entirely. Let's say, just for sake of argument :P , that you have a folder called "Wallpapers" which you want to put your wallpaper images in. BUT you don't want it cluttering up Nautilus. So what do you do?

Well, you delve into the docs and find out about these differing types. Personally, I like the fact that they differ, because what's in my home folder isn't necessarily what I want to show up when I open the file manager. In there, you find that if you create a file named ".hidden" and put a list of files and folders in there that you don't want to show, Nautilus won't show them! Now isn't that nice? So this ".hidden" file will, when you cat it, look like this:

Code:
Wallpapers

That's it. Simple as that. And that folder won't show up in Nautilus. But if you try to add a wallpaper image... guess what? It shows up in the list! Hurah!

So there you go. GNOME just allows you to distinguish between the two obvious types of hidden folder, whereas KDE and others don't. I can't see how this is anything other than a step forward.

emerge -U will kill your Gentoo
ecatmur, Lord of Portage Bash Scripts
numerodix
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2004 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IWBCMAN wrote:

Finding a particular option in gconf is about a thousand times easier than finding a particular option in the KDE control center. Although gconf("Configuration Editor") does contain many keys-it is not an overwhelming number.

What??? The KDE control center gives you a ton of settings to change, some of the less obvious ones have description and just about all of them have a list of relevant options for each setting. Finding something in there can take a little time, okay. But then you have a lot more potential for customization.

Enter gconf. Frankly how you guys find it outrageous to compare it to the windows registry is beyond me. The first thing that struck me when I saw it the first time was "oh no, not another registry". Even if you do know where to find something in gconf, changes are you will have to research to even find out what other strings or integers represent a valid entry. And you're trying to say that this is more usable than the KDE control center? Wow, that is beyond bizarre.
IWBCMAN
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2004 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

numerodix,

You may find it bizzare but the statement is borne of practical experience. The KDE control center has such a bazillion options that it is almost impossible to penetrate. There are many many options that are worded almost identical to other options rendering it quite difficult to know which does which.

If I have a free afternoon it is some times amusing to simply spend a day with the KDE control center. I do this at least once every time a new version of KDE comes out-just to get a vague notion of where I should even begin to look. Then of course there is the stability option-I have crashed the KDE control center no less than a 100 times and frequently I had to restart X to get KDE up and running right again.

And most importantly I do not have the option of avoiding the control center-KDE is absolutely unusable for me in it's default configuration, so I must use it to make configuration changes which render KDE usable for me. I do appreciate the work the KDE guys have put into the control center-it is kind of like a grand central station for every option which they can cram into it.

From the vanatge point of it's sheer size, complexity and *choice* it is amazing. But this "advanatge" is a major nuissance to me. I have installed and tried every version of KDE since 2.2. As mentioned before I love certain KDE apps. but I only really like KDE, taken as a whole , for about 2-3 days.

The infinite options promise so much configurability but alas after a few days of playing around with it I get really bored with KDE- a boredom which I have never expericed with GNOME which has but a fraction of the options. I really can't explain this.

The majority of keys in gconf-editor are documented and relatively simple. Thre are exceptions, but not too many. The windows registry is totally undocumented and it holds something like 100,000 keys. Each key in gconf has very specific values of a give type which it can handle.

In the windows registry keys repeated take multiple values of mulitple different types. Full searching the windows registry for something very specific can take 2-3 minutes of pure search-function time. The gconf-editor probably has less than 500 in a normal setup-if more, not signinificantly.

If you knew anything about gnome-vfs you would undertand how superficial the suppossed similiarity between gconf-editor and the windows registry really is. Structurally they have nothing to do with one another. The only point of similarity at all is the gconf-editor itself-which is only a utility to ease displaying/changing settings.

The gnome-vfs consists of some large number of keys which are actually xml files stored in a hierarchical directory structure. These files are "live" representing the "state" of the GNOME configuration given at any time. Changes to the gnome-vfs/gconf system are immediate.

I too have some issues with gnome-vfs/gconf, parituclarly when it comes to administering complex desktop layouts for multiple users. Unfortunately KDE is still easier to configure for a multi-user setup- but not due to it's control center-but rather due to is it's easily editable configuration files which can be adapted and placed in /etc/shadow.....

But I will take the gnome-vfs/gconf system any day of the week over the KDE control center....
shm
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2004 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IWBCMAN wrote:
You may find it bizzare but the statement is borne of practical experience. The KDE control center has such a bazillion options that it is almost impossible to penetrate.

Have you tried Shift-F1 <click> on something? Not immediately obvious, but many people from the Windows world know this.

IWBCMAN wrote:
There are many many options that are worded almost identical to other options rendering it quite difficult to know which does which.

Can you give examples? Those should be treated like bugs.

IWBCMAN wrote:
Then of course there is the stability option-I have crashed the KDE control center no less than a 100 times and frequently I had to restart X to get KDE up and running right again.

Hmm.. that is weird.. Have you tried reporting the bugs? For countless people, KDE is quite stable.

IWBCMAN wrote:
And most importantly I do not have the option of avoiding the control center-KDE is absolutely unusable for me in it's default configuration, so I must use it to make configuration changes which render KDE usable for me.

What parts do you find unusable in the default configuration? Almost every part of the default configuration has been discussed to death in the very active kde-usability mailing list, but of course, some things can be improved.

Most future work will happen at OpenUsability.org, which was thought of at the KDE Conference in 2003. It won't be a KDE specific site, however, KDE will probably be one of the most prominent sites there. It is founded by relevantive, which has done a number of usability tests with KDE.
ecatmur
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2004 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find the KDE control center pretty much equivalent to gconf-editor in terms of finding things, and roughly equal in working out what settings do. kcontrol has a richer interface, which can be a good thing, but some of the panels are just scary - the printer control panel is highly intimidating.
Still, I prefer Gconf because I know my way around better, and I know that most of the options I actually use are in the Desktop Preferences applets. And instant-apply is wonderful.
ebrostig
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2004 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Giving Gnome a spin and me a headache! Reply with quote

robmoss2k wrote:

This is actually quite a nice feature. Hidden files in GNOME take on two different types. There are hidden folders, and folders you hide. This is in the docs for Nautilus, by the way.

Basically, a hidden folder tends to contain stuff the user ordinarily wouldn't want to see - stuff like your Mozilla Firefox chrome stuff. So that stuff is largely invisible unless you explicitly specify its path.

However, a folder you hide is a different thing entirely. Let's say, just for sake of argument :P , that you have a folder called "Wallpapers" which you want to put your wallpaper images in. BUT you don't want it cluttering up Nautilus. So what do you do?

Woow!
That is downright idiotic!

I really appreciate that Gnome introduces a new concept that is not used anywhere else in the *NIX world!

This is not used by any other system I know of. What the heck is wrong with dot-files? Another example of Gnome developers who think they are the best and introduces another useless feature.

And stop comparing with KDE. This has nothing to do with KDE. If you are annoyed at KDE (and every Gnome user is for some reason) create another thread. As I have said before I started this thread becuase I was downright frustrated with Gnome and couldn't find any assistance in Gnome.

And to every person who says GConf is not MS registry. Please explain why it isn't!

Erik
ecatmur
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2004 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Giving Gnome a spin and me a headache! Reply with quote

ebrostig wrote:
And to every person who says GConf is not MS registry. Please explain why it isn't!

OK...
  • Instant apply
  • Multiple backends
  • Plain text, filesystem-based backend
  • Command line interface including full querying capabilities
  • Human-readable path names
  • Human-readable key names
  • Descriptions for keys
  • Full localisation for paths, keys and descriptions
  • Built-in defaults and lockdown capabilities

Plus stuff I've forgotten... the only parallel between GConf and the MS registry is that both are heirarchical. Well, pretty much anything has to be heirarchical to organise a decent amount of data, and heirarchical works well.
ed0n
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2004 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use gnome as second hand wm, I daily use pekwm and I start gnome-settings-daemon at startup and I also use nautilus. I never had problems with gnome and worked for me, the reason why I switched to pekwm was that "it eats my memory" thing.
Erik's reasons look pure and I don't consider them untrue.
All you need is to spend more time in gnome and learn it's tricks and stuff like you did with kde.
ebrostig
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2004 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Giving Gnome a spin and me a headache! Reply with quote

ecatmur wrote:
ebrostig wrote:

OK...
  • Instant apply
  • Multiple backends
  • Descriptions for keys

Plus stuff I've forgotten... the only parallel between GConf and the MS registry is that both are heirarchical. Well, pretty much anything has to be heirarchical to organise a decent amount of data, and heirarchical works well.

RegEdt32 and GConf are both configuration editors.
The internal format differs, but they look the same, operate the same and are both as little intuitive as you can get it.

I know that gnome people are trying desperatly to distance GConf from RegEdt32 but they are just 2 different shades of grey.

For any user asked to operate GConf, the first thing that comes to mind is Windows Registry Editor!

But, keep on convincing yourselves that GConf and RegEdt32 is as different as apple and oranges. The rest of us know differently!

Erik
ecatmur
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2004 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Giving Gnome a spin and me a headache! Reply with quote

ebrostig wrote:
ecatmur wrote:
ebrostig wrote:

OK...
  • Instant apply
  • Multiple backends
  • Descriptions for keys

RegEdt32 and GConf are both configuration editors.
The internal format differs, but they look the same, operate the same and are both as little intuitive as you can get it.

I know that gnome people are trying desperatly to distance GConf from RegEdt32 but they are just 2 different shades of grey.

For any user asked to operate GConf, the first thing that comes to mind is Windows Registry Editor!

But, keep on convincing yourselves that GConf and RegEdt32 is as different as apple and oranges. The rest of us know differently!

Erik
Changing the question isn't going to win you the argument.

Of course gconf-editor and regedt32 are similar; they're both heirarchical configuration editors. Some of the above differences still apply:
  • Instant apply
  • Descriptions for keys

But as for being unintuitive... I just don't understand how a heirarchical configuration editor could look that different to gconf-editor. A tree view on the left, keys and descriptions on the right - what improvements would you make?
j-kidd
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2004 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are my concerns about gconf...

Many keys like "always_use_browser", "font_var_size_x-western", "0" are programmer-readable instead of human-readable. I am forced to read the descriptions.

The lack of combobox makes it further user-unfriendly. Comma separated list is hard to read, and I am forced to type.

The "Cancel" & "Ok" buttons are inconsistent with regular option dialog that only has a "Close" button. I am confused. In KDE, everywhere has "Ok", "Apply", "Cancel".

I hope these concerns sound reasonable.

Quote:

But as for being unintuitive... I just don't understand how a heirarchical configuration editor could look that different to gconf-editor. A tree view on the left, keys and descriptions on the right - what improvements would you make?

A hierarchical configuration editor is unintuitive.
IWBCMAN
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2004 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

J-kidd,

I know that some of the key names are not the absolute clearest-but your comment that hierarchical configuration editors are noninituitve is really silly. In reality I doubt you have ever seen a non-hierarchical configuration editor.

"Heirarchical" in this sense, in the sense in which it pertains to configuration, means "category-based". Now differing configuation editors differ in terms of how they define their categories.

The windows registry defined their categories very specificially to the internal API of windows itself- it is not human readable in the slightest and when you install software under Windows the installer ends up writing keys all over the registry-which is why a clean uninstall on windows is quite often impossible.

The KDE-control center is formed fundamentally differently. It's categories are mostly loosely based on various functional aspects of configurability exposed by the common libraries which all KDE apps use. Because all KDE apps use QT and common kdelibs- the control center is actually just a configure too for these libs-changing a config here changes all KDE applications which use these libs.

The gconf-editor under GNOME is again totally different. The categories of the gconf-editor are primarily based around installed applications which expose configurability to gconf. GNOME is nowhere near as tightly integrated as KDE/QT. Secondarily there are sections in gconf-editor dedicated to DE-wide integration aspects. This setup allows for one to configure the individual applications-per user, per session, defining defaults etc. and allows one to (re)define various interface elements which intgrate all GNOME proper elements(MIME/gstreamer audio/video, etc.)

In contrast to KDE the majority of applications used under GNOME are not themselves GNOME applications-the common denominator is actually GTK+. Those applications which are simply GTK+ based do not usually expose any configuration options to the gconf-editor. If one is using metacity as their WM changing the metacity configs in gconf will effect all applications under GNOME relevant to those aspects exposed by metacity-for example key bindings.

There is now talk about making GTK+ as opposed to gnomelibs the base dependency for GNOME applications. This would mean that GTK+ applications could export more configurability options in the gconf-editor. The fact that gconf-editor only deals with those options which the applications themselves choose to expose is what keeps the gconf-editor rather simple and light-weight.

I myself have a very complex GNOME install with lot's of apps-under my /apps key in gconf there are only 70 entries....I find this organization quite logical and quite intuitive. If I want to change an option, which is not exposed in the application itself(ie.rarely) I simply look under the /apps key to find the entry which corresponds to the application in question.

I have never spent more than 2 minutes trying to find something in gconf-as opposed to more than a hlaf hour find something in the KDE control center.
ebrostig
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2004 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IWBCMAN wrote:

I have never spent more than 2 minutes trying to find something in gconf-as opposed to more than a hlaf hour find something in the KDE control center.

Oh come on! I don't believe you one second. That is just pure BS.

Support gnome all you want and love GConf and the backwards Gnome developers all you want, but your last statement just made your whole post look silly.

And GConf is not logical att all. You have to drill down several levels in order to come to the place where you want to change something and then you realize it is not there and you have to start hunting for it again. And when you need to change something it is similar values to MS Registry that needs to be set, there is no doubt that GConf was modelled after MS Registry, no matter how much you wish it was not true.

Erik
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: