View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ebrostig
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2004 11:27 pm    Post subject: Giving Gnome a spin and me a headache! Reply with quote

Ok, so I was going to give Gnome 2.6 a spin on my new AMD64 box.

Should be easy enough, huh? Well, so I hoped too.

The first issue is ofcourse that Gnome insists on installing Mozilla even though I have Mozilla-FireFox installed and don't need Mozilla with all the extra programs i don't need.

Ok, no problem, I have more than enough space so who cares :)
Second problem, mozilla 1.6 does not compile on my AMD64 box, so i manually emerge the lastest version, 1.7_rc1, which compiled and installed fine.

Back to emerging Gnome...
Oooppsss Epiphany breaks, it doesn't recognize Mozilla 1.7rc1. Hmmmm... versions are hardcoded in the 'configure' file, added entry for 1.7rc1 and did 'ebuild ..... compile' Worked fine. Installed and emerged. Back to emerging gnome... Rest ran fine, np.

Restarted xdm to get gdm and logged in to a very boring desktop.

First step, change background image. I have some really great space art in my .wallpapers directory. Ok, click on "Applications', then 'Desktop Preferences', then 'Desktop background' What????? It doesn't show my hidden directories? hmmm.... no way of changing the behaviour. Ok, close the app and click on "Applications', then 'Desktop Preferences', then 'File Management'. Cool, there is an entry here, 'Show hidden and backup files'. Selected it and closed the app and went back to changing my background. What???? Still no hidden directories? WTF! This is crazy. back and check that I actually select what i thought I ahd selected. Yes, still there. Damn! What is happening?

At that point I wipped open a texteditor and started to write this. Hmmm select and paste does not work, wtf? I can't mark text using the mouse and then paste it using my middle button? What the heck is going on with gnome?

Ok, so I logged out and back in again to see if I could see my hidden files. Nope, same result and the File Management still shows that I selected showing hidden files. Excellent piece of software!

GConf Editor! Yeah, that's got to be it!
I tremble as i open this mysterical piece of software... Hmmmm... Where would it be that i configure the File open dialog to show hidden files... Hmmmm... There is about a gazillion different possibilities in here and i'm not going to go through all of them. that would be insane to expect from people. Ok, no background image for the moment.

Next step, change fonts to Bitstream Vera, not a problem except for the following: "Window Title Font" This entry is not selectable and i can not change this font. Stupid!

Now I need to change the panels so they hide automatically. i don't need to stare at them and they occupy screen estate. Hmmm... Nowhere is this configuration to be found.... Ahh, I have to right-click on each of the panels, then select properties before I can hide them. geezzz... Is it so damn difficult to put all of this into one single place where all options can be changed without having to do research to find this? And the damn panels do not pop out of my way immediatly nor do they appear immediatly when I move the curosr over them, but i can't find any option to change the timing. Crap!

So here I am, with a useless Gnome installation and another confirmation that Gnome is worthless!

Erik
chrisis
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm. I don't have any hassles with gnome, but I admit I haven't tried to do the stuff you are doing. Maybe I should!

Have you tried typing in the .directory into the file open dialogue?
ebrostig
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chrisis wrote:
hmm. I don't have any hassles with gnome, but I admit I haven't tried to do the stuff you are doing. Maybe I should!

There is no field to enter a name or directory into, just panels showing directories and files :(

Erik
shm
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ebrostig wrote:
chrisis wrote:

There is no field to enter a name or directory into, just panels showing directories and files :(

Erik

try control-L
ebrostig
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shm wrote:
ebrostig wrote:
chrisis wrote:

Erik

try control-L

Oh that's sweet!
A hidden show hidden files command! Just what every DE needs!

Not just that, but I have to type in the whole friggin path? Why the heck can't i get this file dialog to show hidden files?

Erik
ebrostig
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh another issue....

GDM can't seem to figure out that i have KDE installed whereas KDM had no problems figuring out that I had Gnome installed.

Is this a bug in GDM or a "feature"?

Erik
shm
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ebrostig wrote:

Sounds like a bug.. a lot of KDE users use GDM (and will until kdm supports themeing in KDE 3.3), so I suppose it would work automatically.. perhaps a gentoo bug even
ebrostig
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shm wrote:
ebrostig wrote:

Sounds like a bug.. a lot of KDE users use GDM (and will until kdm supports themeing in KDE 3.3), so I suppose it would work automatically.. perhaps a gentoo bug even

Hmmm.... I'll check bugs.gentoo.org.

Oh, KDM has supported theming for quite some time. I use Plastik with a nice background and bitstream-vera fonts.

Erik
bssteph
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ebrostig wrote:
shm wrote:
ebrostig wrote:

Hmmm.... I'll check bugs.gentoo.org.

Oh, KDM has supported theming for quite some time. I use Plastik with a nice background and bitstream-vera fonts.

Erik

I think he means something much more stylistic, like what GDM does.
fusibou
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To avoid compiling epiphany (which I do) just use the emerge -i (inject) command for the epiphany package and mozilla.
ebrostig
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fusibou wrote:
To avoid compiling epiphany (which I do) just use the emerge -i (inject) command for the epiphany package and mozilla.

I know I can do that, but it is really beyond the point. I should not have to do things like that. Epiphany should be happy that I have Mozilla-FireFox installed. If it needs something else from Mozilla (headers etc), it should be a separate package. This is forcing people to install Mozilla when they actually uses something different.

Gnome? A piece of crap!

Erik
vificunero
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Giving Gnome a spin and me a headache! Reply with quote

ebrostig wrote:

Next step, change fonts to Bitstream Vera, not a problem except for the following: "Window Title Font" This entry is not selectable and i can not change this font. Stupid!

Erik

gconf-editor --> apps --> metacity --> general --> titlebar_uses_system_font : deselect it and then change the values in the other string titlebar_font or in the fonts-tool
ralph
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Giving Gnome a spin and me a headache! Reply with quote

vificunero wrote:

gconf-editor --> apps --> metacity --> general --> titlebar_uses_system_font : deselect it and then change the values in the other string titlebar_font or in the fonts-tool

Seeing something like this I will never understand how somepeople can call gnome userfriendly. The second you want to do something the gnome devs deemed not to be necessary for a normal user, you have to do really weird things. Not that anything is wrong with only showing the most common options as default and putting advanced options somewhere else, but why on earth do they put it in something so unbearable as the gconf-editor.

But even if you just want to open certain files, you have to know that you have to press Ctrl+L in order to be able to type in the location of the files. This is simply not userfriendly.

And what about the gnome cups configtool. Maybe I´m just stupid or my gnome is borked, but is there any other way to access it than pressing Ctrl+L and typing printer:///????
hellbringer
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ebrostig wrote:
fusibou wrote:

I know I can do that, but it is really beyond the point. I should not have to do things like that. Epiphany should be happy that I have Mozilla-FireFox installed. If it needs something else from Mozilla (headers etc), it should be a separate package. This is forcing people to install Mozilla when they actually uses something different.

Gnome? A piece of crap!

Erik

This has more to do with the distribution and you know it.

Middle-click button paste works for me.
dweigert
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strangely enough I'm having some issues of my own with 2.6, in a udev environment on an Opteron box. It *used* to work, now it wont get past starting the session manager. All I get on vt7 is a dark blue screen with the Gentoo Gnome splash in the middle. Nothing else comes up. Any ideas?

Dan
jonnevers
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are some nice rants in this thread! A+ guys! :)

Quote:

Gnome? A piece of crap!

uh, buddy, you do know that Mozilla and Firefox have nothing to do with Gnome right? Epiphany depends on Mozilla. Maybe you should drop the Mozilla-firefox maintainer a line saying "can we make a virtual/mozilla that is satisfied by Mozilla OR mozilla-firefox". To rant about Mozilla and end up saying Gnome is crap is sort of bizarre.

oh , should i also mention that gnome 2.6 is still ~ in portage, true its been public stable for awhile.....(I know I wish it'd be moved to stable) but there is a gnome bugzilla report for the hidden file/directory in the file select dialog! maybe the gentoo devs are waiting for that bug to be resolved before moving on, as I for one have run into this bug numerous times.

Quote:
Now I need to change the panels so they hide automatically. i don't need to stare at them and they occupy screen estate. Hmmm... Nowhere is this configuration to be found.... Ahh, I have to right-click on each of the panels, then select properties before I can hide them. geezzz... Is it so damn difficult to put all of this into one single place where all options can be changed without having to do research to find this? And the damn panels do not pop out of my way immediatly nor do they appear immediatly when I move the curosr over them, but i can't find any option to change the timing. Crap!

and if there was one place, you'd probably complain about there not be individual settings... do you really have so many panels that having to right-click each one is a big problem? I do remeber one time seeing timing settings for the panel unhide/hide speed. I'll see if i can dig that up.

Quote:
At that point I wipped open a texteditor and started to write this. Hmmm select and paste does not work, wtf? I can't mark text using the mouse and then paste it using my middle button? What the heck is going on with gnome?

This should work as expected, I use it constantly.

To say gnome is useless is just as bizarre as saying a mozilla-firefox not fulfilling mozilla's role is gnome's fault.
ebrostig
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Giving Gnome a spin and me a headache! Reply with quote

vificunero wrote:
ebrostig wrote:

Erik

And I'm supposed to know this how?
Where is it documented? Why is it hidden in an MS clone of RegEdit?

Erik
ebrostig
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jonnevers wrote:
There are some nice rants in this thread! A+ guys! :)

Quote:

Gnome? A piece of crap!

uh, buddy, you do know that Mozilla and Firefox have nothing to do with Gnome right? Epiphany depends on Mozilla. Maybe you should drop the Mozilla-firefox maintainer a line saying "can we make a virtual/mozilla that is satisfied by Mozilla OR mozilla-firefox". To rant about Mozilla and end up saying Gnome is crap is sort of bizarre.

No, it is perfectly valid claim.

When you do 'emerge gnome' and it is emerging things that you don't need and can't get around without:
a) emerge the program in question
b) emerge inject the program in question

Then it is a problem.

jonnevers wrote:

oh , should i also mention that gnome 2.6 is still ~ in portage, true its been public stable for awhile.....(I know I wish it'd be moved to stable) but there is a gnome bugzilla report for the hidden file/directory in the file select dialog! maybe the gentoo devs are waiting for that bug to be resolved before moving on, as I for one have run into this bug numerous times.

Fair enough. I run with "~" in my make.conf's

If this issue has not been raised during testing, i.e the hidden files, then i don't give much for the testing cycle Gnome goes through. this is a basic issue and should have been fixed prior to even getting to the point of putting out release candidates.

jonnevers wrote:

Quote:

and if there was one place, you'd probably complain about there not be individual settings... do you really have so many panels that having to right-click each one is a big problem? I do remeber one time seeing timing settings for the panel unhide/hide speed. I'll see if i can dig that up.

Whether it is a problem to do or not, is beyond discussion.

My point is that Gnome is so fragmented in it's configuration that you almost have to be a gnome developer in order to even have a clue where to look.

1. Configuration menu
2. GConf editor (bad ms regedt clone)
3. Individual program config reached bia right click.

And this is on a system that is hailed as the next best thing since sliced bread? Bah! It is an immature system and getting more immature with each release.
How are new users going to know where and what they need to change in order to get gnome to look and act as you want it to.

Ok, so i right click on the panels and select autohide, but the autohide feature is time based and I want the panels to appear, disappear instantly. I can't change that on the panel config menu, I have to use GConf! Wow, that is consistent!

jonnevers wrote:

Quote:

This should work as expected, I use it constantly.

To say gnome is useless is just as bizarre as saying a mozilla-firefox not fulfilling mozilla's role is gnome's fault.

Well, after i quit and restarted gnome, the select/copy feature decided it whould go to work.

Erik
vificunero
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Giving Gnome a spin and me a headache! Reply with quote

ebrostig wrote:
vificunero wrote:
ebrostig wrote:

Erik

And I'm supposed to know this how?
Where is it documented? Why is it hidden in an MS clone of RegEdit?

Erik

I really don't know. I was just trying to fix up your problem. If you want to learn more about gconf-editor you could give a look here:
http://www.gnome.org/learn/admin-guide/latest/gconf-0.html
ebrostig
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Giving Gnome a spin and me a headache! Reply with quote

vificunero wrote:

I really don't know. I was just trying to fix up your problem. If you want to learn more about gconf-editor you could give a look here:
http://www.gnome.org/learn/admin-guide/latest/gconf-0.html

Sorry if I sound a bit pi**ed, but these things are basic stuff and should be documented in a fashion where new users who are not Gnome developers can find it.

Gnome currently has the same problem as MS Windows. They use a registry editor type of program with very convoluted syntax and paths to an option. there is no documentation in a Gnome program saying: "To change the following options, please start GConf and navigate to ...."

There is no way I'm going to wade through every possible option in GConf in order to try to locate something that may or may not be in there. It may only be accessible through right clicking on the app or it may only be available from the configuration menu.

Gnome is turning into a configuration nightmare and nobody dares to speak up since Gnome is so "leeet"

In the area of Human Interface, Gnome is getting worse and worse.

Erik
Epyon
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dweigert wrote:
Strangely enough I'm having some issues of my own with 2.6, in a udev environment on an Opteron box. It *used* to work, now it wont get past starting the session manager. All I get on vt7 is a dark blue screen with the Gentoo Gnome splash in the middle. Nothing else comes up. Any ideas?

Dan

That happened to me one day out of nowhere. I could still log in as root but I didn't want to do that. Now I'm using KDE.
jonnevers
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
That happened to me one day out of nowhere. I could still log in as root but I didn't want to do that. Now I'm using KDE.

are you saying a system that is totally ~ in portage didn't work as expected.... thanks for sharing! Did you investigate the problem? I bet with a system like that, that you would be able to provide the gentoo devs with extremely useful information to fix fatal flaws in code execution and maybe move these packages out of ~ where they could be more fully utilized
sapphirecat
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh, I'm with you on this one. I can't stand to use the stupid thing long enough to get it set up.

Sins of Gnome from my POV, somewhat abridged:
  • If you want to delete both panels and then put your own somewhere else, you can't. They decided being able to add a panel from something besides right-clicking panels wasn't necessary. You have to reorder the natural operation to fit their broken design.
  • The "file management" icon in preferences:/// looks like a folder! Doesn't this project have usability experts behind it? Overloading icons is insane. (Though I got to it through a "Start Here" desktop item that may have been carried over all the way from an old Red Hat install...)
  • Nautilus doesn't have any way to compactly view humongous directories. It has large icons or details, and not list view, in Win95 parlance.
  • The "menu panel" is far too special and annoying about doing anything to/with it. KISS. Sorta leads into next point.
  • Everything on the panels comes locked by default, so there's the extra hoop of right-clicking things and saying "Unlock" if, Heaven forbid, you don't like the default layout.
  • The new fileselector is the result of massive ego-stroking and the GTK team caving to "do it now" instead of "do it right". (And even so, it held back Gnome's release.) But at least it isn't Eugenia's.
  • Apparently middle-drag does something nifty in Nautilus in 2.6. Since careless use of the middle button often results in pasting and other weird stuff, IMHO nearly everyone is going to avoid middle-mousing anything and especially never drag with it (superjaded excepted). I'm old enough to remember MS being roundly lambasted for inventing right-drag in Win95...
  • Metacity is the worst window manager EVER. Just try to print something in GIMP with the default panel layout on 800x600. It doesn't let the titlebar escape the top of screen, so you can't even see the save settings/Print buttons even if you know about alt-drag.

I think the root of the problems are that the Gnome developers think they can do everything better than anyone else, and they've lost track of reality. A project that drives away power users will not find those users interested in writing code for it.
dweigert
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jonnevers wrote:
Quote:

are you saying a system that is totally ~ in portage didn't work as expected.... thanks for sharing! Did you investigate the problem? I bet with a system like that, that you would be able to provide the gentoo devs with extremely useful information to fix fatal flaws in code execution and maybe move these packages out of ~ where they could be more fully utilized

I'm more than happy to track this down. Just point me to a log file where an error lives, and I'll file a bug. Unfortunately, there is nothing *obvious* wrong with the box (other than alsa devices).
DOH!!!!!
I bet that's where the damned startup sound is getting played, and it can't..., and *That* is the cause of the hang....... Because sound worked before I switched to udev.

Dan
j-kidd
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys obviously do not understand the GNOME philosophy. Well, let me explain using a real life example...

Look at the KDE toilet, it has a sink, a toilet bowl, and a bath tub. There are altogether 3 water related tools, and an average user is obviously going to be very confused! Imagine a scenario where Joe User, a complete newbie, would like to wash his face. Guess which one he is going to use? The toilet bowl! It is the only one that has visible water! See, it is clear that the KDE is so bloated and unusable for an average user.

Now, let's redesign the toilet following GNOME HIG.

First, the bath tub is discarded as usability studies have shown that an average user simply does not take shower. For those who do take shower, there is always rain.

Secondly, the sink is discarded as well since there is already a kitchen sink and, after all, the toilet bowl has all the important functions provided by the sink. Users just have to get used to it.

Thirdly, the toilet handle is redesigned so that push-down-flush is replaced by pull-up-flush. Usability studies, again, have shown that human eyes tend to scan the shit from bottom to top, and thus pulling up the handle to flush is more intuitive.

Forth, as an usability perk, the toilet bowl will pump up water if the handle is pushed down. This makes tasks like washing face that much more convenient yet the tools remain minimal.

Well, great, it is now a fully HIG compliance toilet. There is no bloat, and everything just makes sense, doesn't it? That Erik guy, who complains that all the shit jumped out to his face when he flushed the toilet, that he couldn't find any way to wash the mess, that he really does take shower every other day, is just a typical KDE luser that does not appreciate usability :twisted:
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: