View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zidour
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 12:37 am    Post subject: KDE vs. ALSA problem Reply with quote

I installed Gentoo on my computer with ALSA drivers compiled in kernel. Everything (including sound, mpg123 played flawlessly) was perfect until I realized to emerge KDE.

When I started KDE and xmms inside, no sound (an no error message) occured. Xmms looks like it plays the song, but resulting in no sound.
I looked closely to the KDE startup messages and there I saw

kmixctrl: ERROR: alsamixer cannot be found.

and three lines saying

ALSA lib pcm_hw.c:494:(snd_pcm_hw_start) SNDRV_PCM_IOCTL_START failed: Broken pipe.

The thing is, that when I return to console, mpg123 doesn't work either.
Even after reboot (which is strange).
The only thing that works is to remove alsasound from startup scripts (rc-update del alasound boot), and reboot. Then mpg123 works again.
But it doesn't solve the problem with KDE.

Does anybody encountered a similar problem?
Help please... Thanks.
Passe-Poil
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's probably arts, the sound server for KDE, that's causing some troubles.. check the configuration in the kde control center under "sound server".

xmms playing but no sound getting out is an xmms config issue.. check that you have the correct output plugin selected & configured (if you use arts you can emerge xmms-arts to use it).

as for this :
Quote:
kmixctrl: ERROR: alsamixer cannot be found.

have you emerged alsa-utils ? alsamixer is in there somewhere I think (it might be in alsa-tools).

is your sound card driver compiled IN the kernel, as a module (configured from make menuconfig) or with emerge alsa-driver ?? I wouldn't sugget using in-kernel sound drivers.. at least use a module (init scripts ususally look for these).

when you have this sorted out, you might be interested in checking the dmix plug-in for alsa (if your sound card doesn't have hardware mixing, this will do it in software so you can have multiple apps using alsa at the same time).

hope this helps !
Gotterdammerung
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my case I have created a daemon to fix another problem: /dev/dsp is just a directory, so I erase it to recreate a link do /dev/sound/dsp, and everything goes fine then.

This is the daemon:
Code:
#! /bin/sh
. /etc/init.d/functions.sh
case "$1" in
    start)
        ebegin "Starting sound-dsp"
        rm -r /dev/dsp
        ln -s /dev/sound/dsp /dev/dsp
    ;;
    stop)
        ebegin "Shutting down sound-dsp"
    ;;
    *)
        echo "Usage: $0 {start|stop}"
        exit 1
esac
exit 0

zidour
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Passe-Poil wrote:

have you emerged alsa-utils ? alsamixer is in there somewhere I think (it might be in alsa-tools).

is your sound card driver compiled IN the kernel, as a module (configured from make menuconfig) or with emerge alsa-driver ?? I wouldn't sugget using in-kernel sound drivers.. at least use a module (init scripts ususally look for these).

yes, I have emerged alsa-utils...

ALSA is compiled in the kernel.
So I compiled kernel without ALSA and tried to emerge alsa-driver. But it fails with

Code:

/var/tmp/portage/alsa-driver-1.0.3/work/alsa-driver-1.0.3/acore/memalloc.c: In function `snd_pci_hack_alloc_consistent':
/var/tmp/portage/alsa-driver-1.0.3/work/alsa-driver-1.0.3/acore/memalloc.c:109: error: structure has no member named `consistent_dma_mask'
make: *** [compile] Error 2

!!! ERROR: media-sound/alsa-driver-1.0.3 failed.
!!! Function src_compile, Line 88, Exitcode 2
!!! Parallel Make Failed

May be this should go to the Multimedia section, sorry for this. I looked there and there are some people who have the same problem, but no solution...
Any advice please?
Jaboo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since you mention compiling ALSA driver in the kernel, I assume you are using a 2.6.x series kernel. In this case, you want to make sure that alsa-lib, alsa-oss, and alsa-utils are emerged. However, do NOT emerge alsa-driver, as you have that in your kernel. You then also need to make sure you have made the appropriate modifications to /etc/modules.d/alsa. Then use alsamixer to umute and turn up the appropriate channels. Hopefully one of these items will help your situation.
zidour
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 10:12 pm    Post subject: Solved. Reply with quote

Thanks everybody.

The only problem was that the channel "IEC958 Capture" (what a beautiful name!) in alsamixer was not muted. I was desperate and so I tried to mute/unmute all the channels in alsamixer, even those ones that didn't make sense to me. Yes, now I now that "IEC958 Capture" is important :)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: