Another Alsa / Xine / nforce2 problem
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Teardrop
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 1:28 pm    Post subject: Another Alsa / Xine / nforce2 problem Reply with quote

it is really funny all ppl complain about no sound from there nforce2 board (2.6.5-mm5, ALSA compiled in) but i do get some.

i had alsa, xine and xmms running perfectly (analog and spdif/coax) with 2.6.0-mm kernels. since updating to 2.6.5 i get this:

xmms plays fine analog and spdif (alsa-plugin). xine and mplayer cant play through spdif but the can play through analog. BUT the can't play 5.1 even if they recognise it as 5.1. they only give 2 channels out. any idea?

thx

Teardrop
Markrian
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your current kernel probably has more recent ALSA drivers than your previous kernel, and so perhaps extra packages like alsa-lib (important) and alsa-utils etc, might not be up-to-date.

To find out what version of ALSA drivers your kernel uses, do:
Code:
cat /proc/asound/version

Try updating all relevent ALSA packages on your system to the same version number as the kernel drivers.

Also, you may have to create the file ~/.asoundrc which specifies various information about your cards. See here for details: http://alsa-project.org/alsa-doc/doc-php/asoundrc.php3?company=Generic&card=Generic&chip=Generic&module=Generic.

Hope that helps.
Teardrop
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thx for your advice i got that far. but xine still only gives me 2 channels (stereo) and does ??? with the center, rear and subwoofer. mplayer has a problem that it cant open audio device under /dev/snd/pcmCOD1p but there is no such device. mplayer should use pcmCOD2p. but i dont know how i can tell it though.

thx

cu Teardrop

UPDATE
----------
i made a symlink from pcmC0D1p to pcmC0D2p and now it works. i just wonder where this false information is stored so i could do the corrections the right way.

So far I have now following things working:

A7N8X Deluxe (rev. 2)
2.6.5-mm5
Alsa, mplayer and xine with SPDIF
Cintra
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2004 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for that Update!

I have been trying to get spdif to work on all/any of the distros I have running, and at last your symbolic link did the trick!

Where did you find the info?

regards
Teardrop
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2004 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey

i am glad, that some of my info did help someone around here :D

i got if from no where. i checked the log-files and the output from mplayer and suddenly it occured to me that they all searched for pcmCOD1p instead of pcmCOD2p. i still dunno why. perhaps i missed a config file somewhere? but for the time being i am happy :D

cu Teardrop
Cintra
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2004 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me to :-), at least on the Suse 9.1 system where I tried this.

My Gentoo setup has no /dev/snd/ so I still have work to do!

At least you have me on the right path.

Thanks again...

EDIT: Just had to finish off emerge alsa-driver and utils, now I have the required /dev/snd/alsa, but pcmC0D1p pcmC0D2p are not in it, so I still have no spdif on Gentoo :-(

EDIT 2: SUCCESS!

At last I have 5.1 sound working on my intel i810 built-in on ASUS p4pe board!

Was checking up on Suse 9.1 alsamixer volume levels, the spdif sound had a slight hf distortion. When I accidentally increased the IEC958P level from zero spdif sound vanished!

This is the opposite of what I would expect, but OK, I quickly changed to Gentoo and BINGO! Reducing IEC958P to zero gave me instant spdif.. nb. IEC 958 just to the left must be on! (Shift M to toggle)

Hope this helps someone else who has been struggling with spdif as long as I have... :-)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: