Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
New instalation option (Based on quote from DRobbins)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Duplicate Threads
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wescott
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 5:25 pm    Post subject: New instalation option (Based on quote from DRobbins) Reply with quote

DRobbins:
Quote:
Before we start another installer project, we really need to create some consensus about what our goals for the installer should be. Once we have a clear and inspiring vision for how the Gentoo installer should operate, it can be accepted project-wide. Then we can get a project organized and finally get a cutting-edge installer done for Gentoo that everyone can be proud of.

I was wondering ideas the general community has in mind about possible solutions, and goals for this installer.

Note: I firmly believe in the Gentoo phillosophy, that the user should have a choice about all aspects of their system. Thus, my oppinion is that this will be an alternative to the manual installation. Having a GUI or more fully automated install will be a choice, just like possibly having an answer file install sometime in the future.[/b]
Gentoo Forum Member #43303

Yoda of Borg are we: Futile is resistance. Assimilate you, we will.
wescott
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 5:27 pm    Post subject: Starting off... Reply with quote

I'll start off...

We could probably hack RedHat's Anaconda installation program for gentoo's needs....
Gentoo Forum Member #43303

Yoda of Borg are we: Futile is resistance. Assimilate you, we will.
regeya
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Starting off... Reply with quote

wescott wrote:
I'll start off...

We could probably hack RedHat's Anaconda installation program for gentoo's needs....

That sounds good to me; heck, if someone hacked the Slackware installer, it'd be an improvement in the ease-of-installation department. FreeBSD is easier to install than Gentoo (well, not necessarily, but you don't have to know much about BSD to install FreeBSD, we'll put it that way :wink: ) and with the improvements that've come along in Gentoo of late, it'd be nice to have a friendly installer.

While we're on the subject: would anyone have any interest in an instant-workstation ebuild? It's kind of a neat idea (FreeBSD at least used to have it; haven't used fBSD in a while) but I could see this easily deteriorating into a KDE-vs-GNOME war, or a KDE-and-GNOME-vs.-everything-else war. :D
Boris27
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMO, it doesn't need a graphical installer, but it would be nice..

It should however take note of all the tasks you want it to do (bootstrap, system or just untar a stage3 'ball) and ask you if you'd want ketchup with that. Ehm I mean ask if you want an Xserver (xorg or Xfree's). While it's installing, give the user a fake emerge system to play with to get the hang of it.
Halcy0n
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There already is a Gentoo anaconda based installer, not official, but it exists. I personally don't care about the installer, so long as I can still do things manually. I haven't had to reinstall yet, but I'd like to be able to do it the same way I did when I installed the system the first time.

Edit: provided a link to the installer, forgot to :)
mdowney
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I far more enjoyed the manual install than I have for any other OS. The install itself brought me to Gentoo, just because of the learning value I got out of it. I wont say that I wasnt frustrated at times, but it was the best install I have ever done. That said if everyone wants graphical installer by all means make one, but please put a cancel installer button on it that will drop you to a bash prompt, so that those who want to learn, or those that want the customized install can do it.
PowerFactor
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 7:46 pm    Post subject: Not again Reply with quote

Sigh. Do we really need yet another installer thread?

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=32220
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=118049
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=159064

And there are many more. Just search for "gentoo graphical installer" and you could spend a day reading all the threads.
gospleOfLinux
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A little automation ain't a bad thing. However, the thing I liked about the manual install was that I could use my box while compiling anything after the base system. It would be nice to have an installer that would make that possible.
dmouritsendk
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If a graphical installer should make any sense, shouldn't there also be a "gentoo control panel" type of app also? with a portage gui, init.d control, a add/remove hardware etc etc.

Because the people who doesn't want to edit stuff by hand when installing the os, probably wont like to do so after the os is installed either.
gospleOfLinux
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dono about a control pannel... I think automation is good... gentoo asks some questions and goes to compiling... but in my opinion a YaST/Win Control Pannel would limit what Gentoo could and couldn't do. Limits I don't like. :|
dru
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with mdowney, I enjoyed the manual install and I've learned more about Linux installing Gentoo then I ever had using RedHat or Debian. It forces you to learn. I would hate to think it will go to an automatic install, even if you still have the option for manual one. I could have felt lazy the day I was installing Gentoo and it there was an automatic one, I quite possible would have chosen that and missed out on everything I learned doing it manually.

My vote, leave it the way it is. If it ain't broke don't try to fix it.
placeholder
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the bloated GUI means the end of the normal means of installation then I say let's not do it. That would sort of tear apart the major meaning of Gentoo.
PowerFactor
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THIS THREAD IS A DUP!
Please stop draging it back up. Read the other threads, nothing new has been proposed in this one.
RedDawn
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 10:19 pm    Post subject: Re: New instalation option (Based on quote from DRobbins) Reply with quote

wescott wrote:
DRobbins:
Quote:
Before we start another installer project, we really need to create some consensus about what our goals for the installer should be. Once we have a clear and inspiring vision for how the Gentoo installer should operate, it can be accepted project-wide. Then we can get a project organized and finally get a cutting-edge installer done for Gentoo that everyone can be proud of.

I was wondering ideas the general community has in mind about possible solutions, and goals for this installer.

Note: I firmly believe in the Gentoo phillosophy, that the user should have a choice about all aspects of their system. Thus, my oppinion is that this will be an alternative to the manual installation. Having a GUI or more fully automated install will be a choice, just like possibly having an answer file install sometime in the future.[/b]

Dumbass Search The Forums Before You Post! :evil:
There Is Like 4 Threads Already Discussing About This! :evil:
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Duplicate Threads All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: