Booting problems with 2004.x
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jonasfleer
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 6:29 pm    Post subject: Booting problems with 2004.x Reply with quote

I'm trying to run gentoo on my g5 dual 1.8, radeon 9600pro, but when i try to boot from the live-cd, openfirmware pops up and claims:

Starting cpu /cpus/PowerPC,970 ... failed: 00000000
[...]
Invalid memory access at %SRR0: [...]

I've tried the minimal and universal CDs from release 2004.0 and 2004.1 - it's always the same.
I've found somebody with the same error messages with yellowdog http://lists.terrasoftsolutions.com/pipermail/yellowdog-general/2004-March/012621.html

Has somebody solved that problem or knows a workaround?

Thanks in advance

Jonas
pvdabeel
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 9:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Booting problems with 2004.x Reply with quote

jonasfleer wrote:
I'm trying to run gentoo on my g5 dual 1.8, radeon 9600pro, but when i try to boot from the live-cd, openfirmware pops up and claims:

Starting cpu /cpus/PowerPC,970 ... failed: 00000000
[...]
Invalid memory access at %SRR0: [...]

I've tried the minimal and universal CDs from release 2004.0 and 2004.1 - it's always the same.
I've found somebody with the same error messages with yellowdog http://lists.terrasoftsolutions.com/pipermail/yellowdog-general/2004-March/012621.html

Has somebody solved that problem or knows a workaround?

Thanks in advance

Jonas

I have exactly the same machine as yours, but only mine boots the livecds. This sounds like something broken (a processor not starting?, broken ram? broken firmware?) Try using the MacOS system cd to check your hardware.

Try resetting your PRAM (holding Apple-alt-P-R until you've heared the chime 3 times).
jonasfleer
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2004 7:51 am    Post subject: Problem with booting from LiveCD solved Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply!
After you suggested a hardware problem I opened the g5, pulled the power- and data-cables from the superdrive and plugged them in again. hoped, prayed and .... it works!
seems that it has been an insulate contact or sth. like this. sometimes the drive don't opened when hitting the eject-key on the keyboard. maybe this problem is solved now too.

Thanks! :D
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: