Oracle Collaboration Suite on Gentoo
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KeyMasterOfGozer
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 9:27 pm    Post subject: Oracle Collaboration Suite on Gentoo Reply with quote

Has anyone installed Oracle's Collaboration Suite on a Gentoo system? If so, do you guys have any hints or tips that might make such an install go better? Oracle only supports RedHat, which is stupid, but I'd like to try this on Gentoo instead.
ebrostig
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 9:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Oracle Collaboration Suite on Gentoo Reply with quote

KeyMasterOfGozer wrote:
Has anyone installed Oracle's Collaboration Suite on a Gentoo system? If so, do you guys have any hints or tips that might make such an install go better? Oracle only supports RedHat, which is stupid, but I'd like to try this on Gentoo instead.

Why is Redhat and SuSE support only stupid?

You have to remember that this is an enterprise suite and not geared towards hobbyists.

When you buy any Oracle product on RedHat or SuSE, Oracle takes all your support, OS and Oracle products. It is a huge process behind certifying an Oracle product on any OS. Certifying on Gentoo will not happen, at least not until Gentoo has an Enterprise Class version of the OS.

When that is said, you should be able to install the whole suite. There are several threads about installing Oracle products on Gentoo.

If you have a support contract with Oracle you can find more information on MetaLink. If you don't, you are more or less on your own.

If you hit any issues, post a new thread here and make sure the title includes Oracle and I'll take a look at it and see if there is a quick solution to your issue or it is a known issue. If it is, I'll try to give you the answers.

Erik
KeyMasterOfGozer
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Oracle Collaboration Suite on Gentoo Reply with quote

ebrostig wrote:
Why is Redhat and SuSE support only stupid?

You have to remember that this is an enterprise suite and not geared towards hobbyists.

While that is true, there are other enterprise suites besides RedHat, one of which is SuSE, that you list as well, but SuSE is not listed as supported, in fact the OCS site explicitly says it only supports certain versions of RedHat.

I have tried in the past to get OCS up and running on the listed version of RedHat that was supported, only to find that there are many Librabries that must be installed separate from the version of RedHat they recommended. The problem is that these libraries had many dependencies which were very hard to figure out.

To me, that sounds like a job that Gentoo is tailored for.

ebrostig wrote:
When you buy any Oracle product on RedHat or SuSE, Oracle takes all your support, OS and Oracle products. It is a huge process behind certifying an Oracle product on any OS. Certifying on Gentoo will not happen, at least not until Gentoo has an Enterprise Class version of the OS.

Yes, also true, but I am not asking Oracle to certify anything, I'm just asking if anyone else has tried to do this unsupported thing with OCS, and if they have, could they pass on any tidbits of info they might have found.

ebrostig wrote:
When that is said, you should be able to install the whole suite. There are several threads about installing Oracle products on Gentoo.

If you have a support contract with Oracle you can find more information on MetaLink. If you don't, you are more or less on your own.

That is also true, but there are no threads either on the forums here or on Oracles forums, or on Metalink (which I use daily) on Oracle Collaboration Suite installation or use on Gentoo.

In fact, there are several threads asking about how to do things on Gentoo on Oracle's Forums, which the response always amounts to "Good Luck". I thought I would ask if anyone here has this specific experience?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: