Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Best kernel/xfree/drivers for ati cards ?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gentii
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 2:08 pm    Post subject: Best kernel/xfree/drivers for ati cards ? Reply with quote

Did anyone make some tests between kernel / ati drivers / xfree version ?
Should I use xfree or xorg? ati drivers 3.2.8 or 3.7.6? kernel 2.4 or 2.6?
Most people seem to say 3.2.8 drivers are better but some keep 3.7.6 because it seems that they work better for wine or winex (but I don't use them).
I was thinking to reinstall xfree as ati drivers 3.2.8 aren't fixed for xorg. Or maybe should I try to fix the ebuild like they did for the 3.7.6 but I don't know anything about ebuild :)
Thanks in advance.
jknutson
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2004 1:57 am    Post subject: ATI-Binaries Reply with quote

I'm not sure about wine, but the ATI 3.2.8 drivers work great for me with my old 8500 (the kernel drivers with xfree opengl resulted in hard locks in UT and some other games for me). Just make sure that your kernel is compiled without DRI support before you try the ATI-binaries and do a
Code:
opengl-update ati

after installing them. You probably already knew all that but it took me quite a while to figure out, so I'll leave it for anyone else that may be having trouble with the kernel/xfree setup for ATI cards.

As far as benchmarks, there's a test that was done a while ago between ATI drivers on linux and windows. Hope that helps.
Gentii
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2004 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, the test is really nice. It's a shame it's only with a radeon 9000 but he explains why. I did knew that already, its a shame dri can't support 3d in R300 and up chips just because ati don't want to give the informations. Like nvidia but their drivers are a bit better.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: