The lost characters!
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lethality
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 5:52 pm    Post subject: The lost characters! Reply with quote

Last time I booted up gentoo it found a filesystem error during scan. Saying that its was fixed, but I had to restart.
Then on the next bootup it went all the way through to the login. And here is where I'm stuck. You see, I need to login as root (perform tasks, starting kde etc), but the password contains some symbols as the @ and the ¤. I cant write them anymore, they just wont pop up when I press the @ key... and yes its extremely frustrating.
Even the charcodes wont output any character (ALT + 0064 etc)

I can write them in nano and links, but just not in the terminal. Anyone know what might have happened?
wynn
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something may have happened to your /etc/conf.d/keymaps file and it has changed to the US default. I have found (GB keyboard layout with US keymap) that the "at" sign (@) is on shift-2 (that's "digit-2") and I can't read the other character in your post.

You should be able to correct this (if this is what's wrong) by booting up the LiveCD or the minimal installer, mounting the root partition and correcting the keymap setting.
The avatar is jorma, a "duck" from "Elephants Dream": the film and all the production materials have been made available under a Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 License, see orange.blender.org for details.
Lethality
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, ok. How would I proceed to change the keymap setting?

Edit: I can login with another user though. Nut how do I go from here?
wynn
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I can login with another user though.
You need to be root to make a change to /etc/conf.d/keymaps and you can't login as root :(

You can, however, read the file, the setting that I had in mind is
Code:
KEYMAP="us"
whereas you want
Code:
KEYMAP="no"
. If it is wrong, then changing it using the LiveCD is probably the simplest option.
The avatar is jorma, a "duck" from "Elephants Dream": the film and all the production materials have been made available under a Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 License, see orange.blender.org for details.
Lethality
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its already set to "no". No changes here then =(
wynn
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
You see, I need to login as root (perform tasks, starting kde etc), but the password contains some symbols as the @ and the �. I cant write them anymore, they just wont pop up when I press the @ key...
Does this mean you've tried them when logged in as your user typing these wayward keys on the console? Have you tried other keys, for instance, here, the quotes (") key with the wrong keymap gives (@), what do your wanted keys show? You may have to describe them as these screens seem to have a limited character set.

On boot, does it say it is loading the no keymap? (A bit like Odysseus and the Cyclops :) )
Lethality
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I've tried. All the keys " # % & and so on still work. Its only the @ as far as I know that does not show in the console. What it really does when I press "Alt Gr + 2" (they are the keystrokes for the @ on the no keymap) is to erase everything I've typed. Feels like a curse :cry:
wynn
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
when I press "Alt Gr + 2" (its the keystrokes for the @ on the no keymap)
Really! Snoreway is inappropriate, you really need to be on your toes :)

There seem to be two Norwegian keymaps, /usr/share/keymaps/i386/qwerty/no.map.gz and /usr/share/keymaps/i386/qwerty/no-latin1.map.gz, the second one has a doc file showing the layout. Would it be worthwhile changing from
Code:
KEYMAP="no"
to
Code:
KEYMAP="no-latin1"
and seeing if that is better?
Lethality
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm afraid it set it to "us". It could not find the latin1 keymap. Strangely the ", # and @ keys wont work with the us one either. All these characters do is to erase what I write in the console. Its really weird, and I think the problem is lying somewhere else than in the keymaps file.
Lethality
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been stuck here for ages. It's as if the charcode for the "at" key simply erases what i write. So does the charcode for the # key and some others.
Anyone got any idea?
baeksu
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surely you could just change the password to one with normal characters with a livecd? And then you can try to fix the keymaps later? Or maybe even just use latin characters and numerals for the password?
Lethality
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ofcourse I could, but a fix would be nice. What if I needed the @ or the # during console work. Links urls, echoing comments "###" etc.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: