Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
WARNING!!! Reiserfs + BeOS MAY cause corruptions!
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AcidTripp
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2004 9:44 am    Post subject: WARNING!!! Reiserfs + BeOS MAY cause corruptions! Reply with quote

I'm just giving everybody that reads this forum a (possible) heads-up with regards to ReiserFS and BeOS.
I realize that BeOS isn't specifically supported by Gentoo, but reiserfs is.

Here is my story:
I have always been interested in BeOS, but after my laptop video card decided not to work with it, I gave up temporarily.
This weekend I got bored and decided to try BeOS on my desktop.
Using parted, I shrank a portion of my disk to make room for the install.
I downloaded BeOS Max V3 and installed it. So far so good.
I made the changes to grub so that BeOS would boot and it did! Another great accomplishment!
BeOS Max V3 comes with a reiserfs driver that allows one to mount reiserfs partitions under BeOS. I mounted my partition with all of my music/etc on it and played some music to make sure it worked Ok.
My first problem with BeOS came when I noticed that my eepro100 NIC wasn't directly supported by default. No problem, it's a common complaint in the BeOS community with an easy fix. Booting into linux, I downloaded the driver to my shared drive.
Here is where the MAJOR problems started.
Kernel Panic. Bad news bears!
I thought it may have been a fluke, so I rebooted and tried to touch a new file on the partition... no problem. Went to the directory that caused the crash, touched a new file and BAM, another kernel panic...
At this point the bug was definatly reproducable... I figured it may have been a reiserfs library that parted installed to handle the partition that was causing the problem, no biggie, just wait for a new release (I could read data fine, but writing it caused the crash).
I downloaded the drivers to a directory that didn't cause a kernel panic and rebooted into BeOS to install the drivers.
Upon trying to mount the partitions, however, I got an OS error from beos.
not 15 minutes ago, I could easily mount the partitions, so I felt it HAD to be something that I did in the last 15 minutes.
The only significant change made was that I mounted the partitions under BeOS.

This leads me to my (premature) conclusion that the reiserfs driver provided by BeOS Max V3 may cause filesystem corruption.
I'm going to do some more tests to see if this is the case and I will report back when I do.

Until then, I would avoid using parted/BeOS on a reiserfs drive as either could very well be the culprit.

Cye
codergeek42
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2004 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's funny. I could swear these were Gentoo GNU/Linux forums...
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: