View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Liberty
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2004 9:43 pm    Post subject: -u world Reply with quote

I have just finished doing the upgrade from 2004 to 2004.1 and to my surprise the box will get stuck on me.
All the configs previously done are erased and G-box is upside down.
Darn what the heck hapened i wondered ??
It hapened that the /etc/fstab i had to re-edit it so the boot finds the right partition with the right fs. Also my net configuration had to re-edit it too because it was deleted.
And right now my sound is playing tricks on me but i'm to tired to attend to it.
I'll say nice upgrade. 8O 8O
abcdefg
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2004 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I did too do emerge -u world this morning and also have a lot of problems (this is the forum: https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=168003 )

Did you had the same error when booting your system? Did you also had to fix x? If yes how did you do that? And finally :) how did you fixed your network settings?

haha asking quastions in a reply 8O

Thanks,
David
dsd
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2004 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

portage includes a feature called "config protection" which means it will not overwrite your configs, it simply gives the newer configs different names and asks you to update them every now and then,

to do the updates, you run "etc-update" and you then manually choose what you want to do with the newer configs.. in this case, it would have been you that wrote over the old configs

or.. you didn't turn config protect off, did you ? check output of
Code:
emerge info | grep "CONFIG_PROTECT"

Liberty
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2004 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fortunately X did'nt nedeed repair. And the net configuration was repaired by re-editing the file.

for dsd:
The configuration protection ??? Well, all i was wondering was why the upgrade have to scrambles everything around. That;s all. An logical explanation would suffice.
dsd
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2004 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Liberty wrote:
The configuration protection ??? Well, all i was wondering was why the upgrade have to scrambles everything around. That;s all. An logical explanation would suffice.

..?

sorry, i have no idea what you are referring to here
Liberty
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2004 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm telling that also the protection is on, the whole thing got scrambled up. I was asking for a logical explanation for why it does it, instead of upgrading only whithout touching my conf files 8O

I managed to undo everything, but what about someone who does'nt know what the darn error messages are telling him.
dsd
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2004 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Liberty wrote:
I'm telling that also the protection is on, the whole thing got scrambled up. I was asking for a logical explanation for why it does it, instead of upgrading only whithout touching my conf files 8O

I managed to undo everything, but what about someone who does'nt know what the darn error messages are telling him.

i'm still not completly sure what you are trying to say, but how about this example:

the package "sys-apps/baselayout" contains a "template" /etc/fstab - the one that you see early in the install process.
if you re-merge (or upgrade) baselayout, your /etc/fstab will *not* be overwritten (because the whole of /etc/ is config protected). instead, your original fstab will be left as it was, and the "new" config (in this case, the template config) will be written to a file named something like:
/etc/.fstab_cfg0000 (i can't remember the exact file syntax, but it is something along these lines)

at this point, you should be able to reboot, and your system will read the original fstab (which is still in place at /etc/fstab) and will therefore boot up and mount everything without problems

now, at the end of every merge, emerge will inform you that you have configuration files that might need updating. this is because it has noticed the .fstab_cfg0000 file.

you are supposed to manage these updates with the "etc-update" utility. when you run this, it will list the config files which have possible updates available - in this case, it will list /etc/fstab.

it is entirely up to the user what to do here. the etc-update utility will show the differences between the current config and the "new" config, and ask the user what to do (leave existing file as-is, replace original with update, etc).

if you chose to replace the original with update, then your original /etc/fstab will be deleted, and replaced with the new "template" /etc/fstab which comes in baselayout. it is then not suprising that your system will have some problems.. (looking for /dev/ROOT etc)

in short: when a new software version includes new config files, your original ones will not be overwritten. the new configs are stored as hidden files, and emerge periodically prompts you to update them.
when you do come to update them, replacing files like /etc/fstab is a bad move.

i'm not meaning to put the blame onto you, especially if you don't fully understand the process, but if you replaced meaningful config files with their template equivalents, then it is no suprise that you get problems.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: