Installing on Highpoint 370/372
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bytal
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2002 2:14 am    Post subject: Installing on Highpoint 370/372 Reply with quote

I've been trying out Gentoo for a while on my second computer and wanted to install it on my main. The main has a Shuttle AK35GTR motherboard with on board raid using the Highpoint 370/372 chip. I have 2 HDs connected to it and am using it as a regular IDE controller.

My question is what I would need to do out of the ordinary, if anything, in order to install Gentoo onto this computer. Second if I ever decide to actually use the Raid and stripe 2 or more HDs what would I need to do to reinstall Gentoo then.

Thnx a lot in advance
xannik
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2002 5:43 pm    Post subject: Installing on Highpoint 370/372 Reply with quote

I am actually trying to do the exact same thing. I have an abit kr7a-raid board with the highpoint 372 raid controller. I had it running under win2k and when I went to install gentoo on it one of my drives crapped out on me. Anyway the basic steps are as follows from what i have gathered from the forums. We will need to download the driver source from www.highpoint-tech.com under support and hpt372 drivers. (get the one at the bottom) We need to do a normal install of gentoo except when it comes time to build the kernel we will need to follow the directions in the readme. Also there are some helpful instructions here https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=14833&highlight=raid for you to look at. After the kernel is built then we will compile the driver for the raid controller and insmod it and raid should then be enabled. You will probably want to initrd the driver so that it loads at boot time.
Bytal
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2002 9:05 pm    Post subject: Thnx Reply with quote

Great I guess I'll be formatting my WinXP box to dual boot to Gentoo. I'll post a walkthrough if I am able to get anything workable.
amigadave
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2002 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I posted my experience of installing Gentoo on a Highpoint RAID array (no Highpoint drivers required - the kernel hptraid modules works fine) in this post
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?p=4836#4836
xannik
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2002 9:56 pm    Post subject: hardware or software raid? Reply with quote

so are you actually getting hardware ide raid through your method amigadave or is it just software raid?
Bytal
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2002 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK all this info is for actually using the RAID array. What if I'm just using the Highpoint as an additional IDE controller. Does that make any difference. Will I still need to load raid drivers or will be just detected as say hdc and hdd or something like that.
xannik
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2002 11:17 pm    Post subject: they will be detected Reply with quote

they will be detected normally as additional ide channels. i have four ide channels on my board. 2 ata-100 and 2 raid ata-133. My 2 drives show up as hde and hdg respectively when they are both master drives on the two seperate raid ata-133 ide channels.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: