newb: unable to boot.
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kungfucious
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2004 5:38 pm    Post subject: newb: unable to boot. Reply with quote

I am using the x86-universal-2004.1 disc and am having a bit of trouble getting it to load all the way. It is a difficult bunch of text to read, but the errors look like:

1. unable to handle kernel packaging request at virtual address 0000ff00

2. keyboard not present

I dont know anything about the first one, but there is definately a keyboard attached. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Also, let me know if there is a more pertinant bit of error text that i could supply if these are too vague or unimportant. I passed no flags and booted "gentoo".

Thanks.
boroshan
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2004 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So it would be the latest live cd installation disc that won't boot, am I right?

If so, can you boot from an older live cd version if you have one? How about knoppix?

if you're doing an install, you don't need to boot from the live cd, there are a lot of alternatives on the alternative installation guide.
kungfucious
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2004 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am trying to boot from a live cd. I have not been able to boot a version of gentoo(live cd), although i have only tried this version and the last. I can boot up the last downloadable knoppix release, 2.3 i think.

<background>
I am trying to use live cds to find out if all of my hardware is auto configured, as well as if i can use my speadstream dsl adapter easily and set up a lan for my other windows boxes with the linux box as my pdc. so far i have gotten the last version of knoppix and mandrake move to boot and run propperly. I keep comming back to gentoo b/c i hear great things about it, but neither this version nor the previous seems to like my computer.

I am interested in doing an install after i successfuly test a version that i like
</background>

thanks again for the assistance. Please let me know which steps i can take to get a helpful person the info they need to guide me though this. I am willing and windows-mostly/linux-slightly able.
boroshan
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, if knoppix and mandrake ove will boot, gentoo ought to install ok.

Most of the livecd problems I've encountered have been down to on-bard graphics cards not handling bootsplash properly. i810 and SiS chips to be specfic.

Mind, the keyboard no present, makes me wonder:. Are you using a USB keyboard? In fact a few details about your setup in general would be helpful at this point
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: