module problems
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chimpsky
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2004 11:29 pm    Post subject: module problems Reply with quote

I just finished installing gentoo. Now when I booted it up I get a bunch of lines saying:
missing kernel or user mode driver eepro100
... cant load module i810_rng
missing kernel or user mode driver i810_rng
... cant load module eepro100
and that repeates maybe 20 to 30 times untill it starts hotplug. So I went looking for eepro100.o and i810_rng.o and found them both then I went into /etc/modules.autoload.d/kernel-2.4 and added eepro100 and i810_rng then ran modules-update and rebooted... same problem. Any one know whats going on here?
curious_bob
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i remember having this problem, and asking around and not having people answer the question.

as far as i can tell, my system works fine, despite all those modprobe errors. a lot of the errors are for stuff that you typically don't use anyway.

also i remember that if i logged in as root, i didn't get the messages. but logging in as a user made them appear. so it's probably some permission error. ie. the user doesn't belong to a certain group.

but like i said, I just ignored it and my system is running fine.

The Black Vault The Largest Online Military and Government Research Center
chimpsky
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont understand, you ran into these errors after you logged in? I encounter them durring boot up, but yea I guess I cant complain if nothings broke it just looks ugly to see all those errors.
Rainmaker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you forgat to select the options for eepro100 and i810_rng in your kernel configuration. if you want to use them as modules, select <M> during the make menuconfig stage...

If you want a clue on what options to select, open /usr/src/linux/Documentation/Configure.help and searh for eepro100

If you find the option to enable, do a

cat /usr/src/linux/.config | grep -i [option]

If this says "M", you should be OK. If it says "Y", just remove the line from autoload.d/kernel-2.4, the driver is already loaded as part of the kernel. If it says "is not set", you'll have to recompile your kernel.
chimpsky
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read both entries in the Configure.help file about eepro100 and i810_rng but neither mentioned anything about dependencies, if thats what you were talking about. Then I used your command to see what was set for those two CONFIG_ and they both showed that they were already modules, and i was able to find both .o files in the module directory. Are you saying that there are specific options I need to be passing to these modules or something?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: