Beginning of the end
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fusibou
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 2:11 pm    Post subject: Beginning of the end Reply with quote

This week, I have managed to do two amazingly stupid screwups of my gentoo system. I've been using gentoo for 1.5-2 years now so I should know better. I am coming to the unhappy conclusion that I spend too much time tinkering with my machines. It it were just a matter of improvement then fine, but I never seem satisfied unless I'm upgrading this or that.

The result is my system is often a little bit broken in some way. Never anything major (until now) but just enough that I seem to spend more time getting the "latest x/y/z" to work instead of just enjoying a working system.

I am running the 2.6.6 kernel, gcc 3.4, gnome 2.7.1, glibc 2.3.3 with nptl (i think that's the right #) udev, etc. etc. But it wasn't enough. So I screwed up my /var/db/pkg then I screwed up my glibc.

This reminds me of working at home connected to the Internet vs. working in a library at a study carrel. One is far less productive than the other and the reason is the capacity for distraction. Gentoo represents a fun tinkerer's toolbox. I spend too much time tinkering. It gets a little addictive, as sick as that sounds.

Since I wrecked my laptop system so thoroughly, I'm wiping my (unused and ignored) windows partition on it and installing Debian Unstable because I need to use my laptop to get work done. Perhaps I'll find apt-get too interesting and be forced to move to pen and paper.

It's a little crazy to find myself always mucking with my system, particularly when it was working perfectly fine. Gentoo is fabulous and the community is fabulous. But it's too addictive and fixing this latest disastrous mistake will take too much time (ie. a reinstall).

I still have two Gentoo desktops but one is my wife's (I tried to upgrade a bunch of stuff for her and ended up breaking a whole bunch of other things... so I had to roll back which was easy but time-consuming) and the other is packed away for a coming move.

Thanks for reading.
asimon
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Autosuggestion may help too ;-)
HydroSan
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same problem. It's partially the reason I keep my second strongest box on Windows, which virtually eliminates tinkering. Gentoo is fun, but it becomes obsessive with me whoring packages.gentoo.org and waiting FOR THE NEXT BLOODY XORG RELEASE OMGGGG!!!!111six I find myself going "Hmmm, lets try this... or that! OR THAT! OR THAT!!!!" I've recently put off studying for my exams because of it. :shock:

Server status: Currently down, being replaced with fresh install - 20% completed.
Twitchy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rittalin(sp?) could help you...
asimon
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Twitchy wrote:
rittalin(sp?) could help you...

I just read that Ritalin can cause schizophrenic psychosis and paranoid hallucinations coupled with fear (amoung many many other things) ... yeah ... I guess that would be a cool trip to heal pathological tinkering. :D
bobhesketh
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm always tinkering and messing stuff up. Part of the fun really :) Every time I get a setup I like I image the drive to a separate partition. That way, when I next screw it up, as I surely will :wink: I know I can put it back as I wanted. I did make sure to move /usr/portage/distfiles to a separate drive though (the images were getting ridiculously large).

I use Bootit-NG to do the images, though I'm sure there's a free alternative.

Bob

P.S. after struggling for *weeks* with Debian, I've since zapped it, and shredded all the CDRs that I created from it. It's truly awful.
placeholder
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HydroSan wrote:
I have the same problem. It's partially the reason I keep my second strongest box on Windows, which virtually eliminates tinkering. Gentoo is fun, but it becomes obsessive with me whoring packages.gentoo.org and waiting FOR THE NEXT BLOODY XORG RELEASE OMGGGG!!!!111six I find myself going "Hmmm, lets try this... or that! OR THAT! OR THAT!!!!" I've recently put off studying for my exams because of it. :shock:

[rant]I'd never put any of my boxes on Windows, because Windoze likes to totally screw up at the most annoying times. For example, XP screwed up on me right after an anime I was downloading was finished and I was ready to watch it. Started reinstalling at midnight, got done at 04:00 and was too dang tired to even enjoy the anime. Then I went to bed. It has also allowed me to lose much data.[/rant]

However, with Gentoo the LiveCD can save you and so can intelligence and about anything else.
fusibou
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it's mid afternoon and my notebook is now running Debian unstable with working printing and scanning. I see no performance difference (this is a PIII-700 256MB RAM) despite the fact I dropped a Gentoo 2.6 kernel with udev and nptl for a 2.4.26 Debian stock kernel and I'm quite pleased actually with how well the software was integrated automatically during installation.

It certainly is a lot faster to install software with Debian and I still get to run gnome-2.6.1 and with the power (like Gentoo) to choose what packages to install I don't waste space, Debian's aptitude and its GUI friend synaptic allow for easy browsing of available packages which is quite helpful. Adding debian servers to the configuration that include non-free software opens up dvd-css and all sorts of other stuff (like non-GPL games)

As for Gentoo USE variables, they have bitten me far more often than helped (ie. oh, fix that problem by adding YYY use variable and re-compiling!)

It was fun. So long and thanks for being a great community.
mrmodin
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Addictive, yes. Thats one of the reasons why I have stopped using gentoo att all for now (have more important stuff to do (read school)).
asimon
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But isn't your problem actually distribution independent? At least I don't see any reason why you can't do all those things you wrote in that first message on Debian -- or any other distribution -- too.
dmoulton
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fusibou wrote:
Well, it's mid afternoon and my notebook is now running Debian unstable with working printing and scanning.

I tried this a couple of months ago. I found out that several of the things that just worked on Gentoo I couldn't get to work on Debian, after several days of trying.
aethyr
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 10:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Beginning of the end Reply with quote

fusibou wrote:
I'm wiping my (unused and ignored) windows partition on it and installing Debian Unstable because I need to use my laptop to get work done.

You might want to go with Testing, otherwise I predict you'll end up doing the same thing.
oiper
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 2:38 pm    Post subject: Hear Hear Reply with quote

... I'm in on the "What was I thinking trying to get X(not "X" or "X.org" related) to work the night before my X exam!?!??!" I've recently overcome my addition, but only through some moderate depression coupled with a believe that all software, and thus all operating systems(somewhat excluding small portable electronics), are simple going to suck severely until a great while down the road. .... Highest level programming language = "Computer, please make me a cool op. sys. that does this:..." Now if I can just find a way to live until 2121. :?
Deebster
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: Hear Hear Reply with quote

oiper wrote:
... I'm in on the "What was I thinking trying to get X(not "X" or "X.org" related) to work the night before my X exam!?!??!"

Surely you mean "What was I thinking trying to get x to work before y exam?"? I'm not having much luck finding a package name that could also be an exam title. :) 'arts', maybe? (Petty I know, just bored/avoiding real work).
baz0
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="fusibou"]Adding debian servers to the configuration that include non-free software opens up dvd-css and all sorts of other stuff (like non-GPL games).[/quote]

sure it does and then it breaks the package manager!

been there, done that...

:wink:
superjaded
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2004 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh, kind of funny that I stumbled upon this thread whilst I was waiting for an "emerge -puDv world" to finish before I went to get some dinner. ;)

But meh, I'm a procrastinator by nature.
If it's not gentoo distracting me from something I don't want to do but should it would be either one of my four gaming systems, my dvd player, fansubs or foobar2000 (if I ran Windows) keeping me distracted. ;)
What's one more distraction, I figure.

* sj fires off his "emerge -uD world" and goes to dinner.
Syntaxis
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2004 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

baz0 wrote:
fusibou wrote:
Adding debian servers to the configuration that include non-free software opens up dvd-css and all sorts of other stuff (like non-GPL games).

sure it does and then it breaks the package manager!

Nah. :-) Packages in Non-Free are maintained by the Debian devs and have to comply with Policy, same as the packages in main.

Bugs sometimes take a little longer to be fixed (though release-critical bugs are generally responded to promptly) but the problem only needs to have been *reported* for you to avoid breakage. Simply install apt-listbugs and it'll warn you if a package you're going to install has an open release-critical bug filed against it.

You then fire up your browser and point it at the bug number to determine whether or not it applies to your setup. If it doesn't, you're golden and can ignore the warning. If it does, you can either get an earlier non-broken version from http://snapshot.debian.net/, wait for the bug to be fixed, or (if it's purely a packaging bug) build the software yourself from the included source tarball or else get it direct from upstream. EDIT: Or scour the archive looking for another piece of software that provides the same functionality.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: