What Snapshot to use??
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yogi-CH
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 12:44 am    Post subject: What Snapshot to use?? Reply with quote

I am booting w/the minimal x86 CD and would like to know what the date of the universal CD snapshot is on the 2004.0 CD, please.

I have had some measure of success w/the installation but there have also been problems and I think it was because I chose the wrong architecture when I d/l the stage. At any rate, I want to experiment, a little bit.

Thanks!
andrewy
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The date is 20040223, according to my 2004.0 LiveCD.
Yogi-CH
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

andrewy wrote:
The date is 20040223, according to my 2004.0 LiveCD.

You would know... it doesn't seem to be on the mirrors. So... what about the universal 2004.1?? Can someone give me the dates on that snapshot? :roll:

Thanks!
Adam Page
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you look in the daily portages, you notice this -

20040 (2004.0 with no .) and then 223, so it would be 2-23 or february 23rd

so basically if your portage (or snapshot, i think) is 20040516 the date would be 5-16 or may 16th (just as an example)
Yogi-CH
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

American Psycho wrote:
if you look in the daily portages, you notice this -

20040 (2004.0 with no .) and then 223, so it would be 2-23 or february 23rd

so basically if your portage (or snapshot, i think) is 20040516 the date would be 5-16 or may 16th (just as an example)

Yes... I understand that. Thanks. What I don't quite get is that the handbook states that the ebuilds & GRP packages must match (unless --usepkgonly is expressed) yet the dates seem to be absent inn any filename ...except for the tree. I have yet to find any indication of dates on the binaries or even the sources so how does one know if they match?

For instance, one uses the minimal live cd, executes 'emerge sync' ...so does that mean one is then bound to the 'compile everything' mode or can one d/l only the necessary GRPs, rather than having to burn a 2nd CD?

I'd appreciate someone straightening me out on this one. Thanks!
nixnut
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you do a stage 1 or 2 you don't use the GRP packages, but compile the programs from source. A stage 3 uses the GRP packages, but if you do emerge sync first you update the building spec files. They can then point to newer packages than the GRP ones on the CD. And emerging them then fails. The dates aren't important, but the ebuild versions are.

talk is cheap. supply exceeds demand
Yogi-CH
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nixnut wrote:
If you do a stage 1 or 2 you don't use the GRP packages, but compile the programs from source. A stage 3 uses the GRP packages, but if you do emerge sync first you update the building spec files. They can then point to newer packages than the GRP ones on the CD. And emerging them then fails. The dates aren't important, but the ebuild versions are.

I appreciate your insight. This issue is very important because, using the live cd 2004.0, genkernel will not emerge w/o an error on one of the deps: "file not found". Using live cd 2004.1, the following msg occurs: "i8253 count too high! Resetting..". Fact is, it repeats with such ferocity that it is nearly impossible to keep track of one's keyboard input. The msg happened roughly every 1.5 seconds and would not quit, no matter what was taking place from the keyboard, or once a command was being executed.

From the gist of your msg it would seem that I have no choice but to either use the 2004.0 and try to build my own kernel (which never worked quite right when I tried it) or go w/2004.1 which exasperated me w/the 'i8253...' message when attempting to build the system. If so, I may as well pull the plug right now, but I would much rather not since I am making a valiant attempt to find the "right distro" for my needs, and this box! Mdk won't work, SuSE9 was giving problems RH CD won't boot and I have no floppy drive, Knoppix's KDE was gravely unstable.

If anyone else cares to jump in here, as well, I'd appreciate all help. One might say that Gentoo is my last best hope for a successful system w/o forking out lots of money trying various other distros. I just cannot offord that.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: