/dev/sequencer- instead of /dev/sequencer
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Penulci
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 6:15 pm    Post subject: /dev/sequencer- instead of /dev/sequencer Reply with quote

I am running a 2.6.5 kernel and tried to setup MIDI support for for my SB-Live!.
Loading the soundfont tells me I lack of /dev/sequencer. I know this problem has been topic of several posts.

In my /dev I find /dev/sequencer- and I did nowhere see that someone else has this problem.

Even Google did not offer me any new ideas.

greetings, Michael
Breakman79
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, I had this very same problem. I got soundfonts working by having ALSA as a module instead of compiling it into the kernel. Once I set up alsa config file for emu10k1 in modules.d, it worked perfectly.
klaus
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2004 5:17 pm    Post subject: MIDI support on Audigy and SB Live! Reply with quote

I could load the SF Bank with an Audigy card using alsa as a module (built-in isnt work properly) and the OSS sequencer emulation. Although MIDI doesn't work in SB Live! and Audigy too with ALSA see: http://www.alsa-project.org/alsa-doc/doc-php/template.php?company=Creative+Labs&card=Soundblaster+Live&chip=EMU10K1&module=emu10k

If you want to use MIDI on these sound cards you have to use a software synthesizer like timity++.

For a gentoo install go to http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/alsa-guide.xml#doc_chap4 in the Code Listing 4.3: Installing Timidity++.

PD: The ALSA group is working on the MIDI support for the emu10k module.
Penulci
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanx for your tipps. Of course I was running ALSA as modules (as nearly everything I do not permanently need).
Out of a sudden /dev/sequencer is present. It seems as if I just missed to run an update-modules once.

Thanx, Michael
pianosaurus
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 12:59 am    Post subject: Re: MIDI support on Audigy and SB Live! Reply with quote

klaus wrote:
Although MIDI doesn't work in SB Live! and Audigy too with ALSA see: http://www.alsa-project.org/alsa-doc/doc-php/template.php?company=Creative+Labs&card=Soundblaster+Live&chip=EMU10K1&module=emu10k

Actually, it says it doesn't work with Live! drive. The "Live! drive" is a front panel for the Live! cards. MIDI should work fine through the MIDI-port on the card itself.
nhimf
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A little tip with the sb live!:
I have the ssb live! platinum, wich works perfectly fine with linux (well mp3/wav & midi). The live drive isn't tested.

Just follow the alsa installation guide wich is found in the docs part:
http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/alsa-guide.xml

I'm running 2.6.5 too, and all worked, except the emu10k1 apps in that guide, cause they won't work with the 2.6 kernel.
buddyabaddon
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loading the soundfont as in the ALSA guide, "sfxload /usr/share/sfbank/8MBGMSFX.SF2", also gave me the error about the lack of /dev/sequencer.

Try "asfxload" instead of "sfxload". From the sfxload man page, basically:
sfxload - for OSS
asfxload - for ALSA

This worked for me since I didn't include OSS emulation. Hope that helps clear some things up.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: