Help with postgresql install
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
revoohc
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 6:48 pm    Post subject: Help with postgresql install Reply with quote

Does anyone know how to get postgrsql to install from portage w/o overwriting the older version?

I have an app at my work that runs on postgres 7.3 and I would like to install both 7.3 and 7.4 on my system so that I can start testing for the upgrade. I have installed 7.3.6 on my system and it is running fine, but am not sure how to get portage to install the 7.4 version w/o losing my 7.3.6.

How can I do this?

chris
mathd
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know how to install the two version side by side but the data folder is not compatible between the two version.

You'll have to do a pg_dump first an reinsert the data in postgresql 7.4

math
tomk
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You would have to edit the ebuilds to get them to work together. At the moment the SLOT variable is set to zero, which means that you can only have one version of that program installed. You would have to change the SLOT variable in both ebuilds that you do to reflect the different versions.

You'll probably also want to change the directory where each ebuild installs things so that they don't overwrite each other. There's a guide to writing ebuilds here, which should help:

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/gentoo-howto.xml

When you modify ebuilds they get overwritten at the next emerge sync, so you should use the portage overlay in /usr/local/portage. And make a backup of any important data before doing anything.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: