hard drive dma
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
coderunner
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 10:20 am    Post subject: hard drive dma Reply with quote

Hi,

I tried searching the boards and couldn't find an answer to this. When gentoo is booting and checking the / and /boot partitions, he says that dma is disabled for this harddrive and will slow down fsck. I couldn't find anywhere on this board what is causing this and how to change so that dma is enabled automatically when I boot. Also, when gentoo is checking my / partition when i boot, it says that "filesystem appears mounted read-only.". Now this is my / partition so I wouldn't think it should be read-only, and I can make new files in my / partition so it doesn't SEEM to be read-only neither. Is this normal? (I am using reiserfs for both / and /boot).

Thanks in advance
sak
Markrian
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assume this is AFTER you've installed Gentoo?

When you build your kernel, you have to make sure that some features are enabled so that DMA can work on your system. You'll need to know what chipset your motherboard uses. I'm not at my machine right now so I can't remember exactly what you need - but certainly something about "Enable Generic IDE DMA", and then another feature specific to your mobo's chipset.

As for the "filesystem appears mounted read-only" message at boot up, that's not a problem. It's to do with a setting in your LILO or grub config file.
coderunner
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read elsewhere on the forum about the hdparm command. I used that to list parameters of my hda device and it says dma is off. I THINK I read that you can use this command to enable dma also, but normally dma should be enabled w/o the need to run a script or command right?
tuam
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the kernel is properly configured: Yes. Just try

Code:
hdparm -d1 /dev/hda

If it says "unable" or such, you need to select the driver in your kernel configuration. (like I had to find out, too :wink: )

FF,

Daniel
coderunner
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops, I just realized that this should probably be under kernel & hardware section. This forum only seemed liked the right one for this post at 5 in the morning :)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: