Religion and the right to choose.
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Duplicate Threads
View previous topic :: View next topic  
markj
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 5:38 pm    Post subject: Religion and the right to choose. Reply with quote

Why do people feel they have the right to impose their religion on others especially their children. As a child I was sent to Catholic school and lead down that route as far as religion goes. I had no idea what it was all about if I'm honest and was never really allowed to question/challenge and therefor fully understand. I feel that religion was imposed on me in a very regimented way. I am not a practicing Catholic now in any way at all BTW, I have faith in myself as a person but that is the extent of my religion nowadays.

If you really believe or have faith in your religion then why impose it on others, encourage children to explore the ideas of faith and religion by exposing them to all beliefs. Forcing them into a faith before they can understand or make an informed decision is not a choice, it's more like a pressgang.

If religion is about faith and belief then I would expect it to be more of a journey like life itself. We are not born fully aware of the wonders of life and the world we live in but we learn as we grow, can religion not be the same?

I would relly be interested in other peoples views, especially on the right for children to choose.
69_rs_ss
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I have children I am not going to bring them up under any religion. They can learn themselves in time. I also don't think most religions impose their faith on people. Especially the older religions such as Wiccan and Paganism. It is more the montheistic religions that happens with especially Christianity.
a23d56
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Religion and the right to choose. Reply with quote

markj wrote:
Why do people ... impose their religion on ... their children ... interested in other peoples views ... the right for children to choose

Making informed choices on religion requires maturity. Why would any parent leave their child without guidance? Not sure what the point of your rant is.

:?:
69_rs_ss
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Religion and the right to choose. Reply with quote

a23d56 wrote:
markj wrote:
Why do people ... impose their religion on ... their children ... interested in other peoples views ... the right for children to choose

Making informed choices on religion requires maturity. Why would any parent leave their child without guidance? Not sure what the point of your rant is.

:?:

Basically what he is saying is how does the parent have the right to choose the childs religion. Religion should be a personal choice, not something forced on you.
Sargonas
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I grew up in a similar sircumstance to your own. I was raised Catholic and told NEVER to question the belief in GOD, even if it made no sense sometimes, I was told "how are we to understand God's will, if he wants to be contradictory, he can because he makes the rules. It is not our right to question, just to serve."

I was never given a chance to choose my religion, it was instead forced on me. They even told us that it was our job to convert others to Christianity, to further force their beliefs on others.

I completely agree with you, but it is mostly abrahmic traditions that try and force their beliefs on you, especially CHristianity, and Islam.

Many other religions, mostly Karmic and pagans, dont force their religions on Children.

When I have kids I will show them all paths and let them choose. For the record when I go to college I minored in Religion and Philosophy which ended with me being agnostic.
Sargonas
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Religion and the right to choose. Reply with quote

a23d56 wrote:

A guide is one who shows the way by advising. Not choosing the child's path for them. Forcing a belief is rediculous and makes for false beliefs.
a23d56
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Religion and the right to choose. Reply with quote

69_rs_ss wrote:
how does the parent have the right to choose the childs religion. Religion should be a personal choice, not something forced on you

I would like to meet the parent who will spend time introducing their child to many different religions. Who has time for that? It's hard enough just coping with life. You guys are just dreaming. You'll see, if you ever have any children of your own.

:!:
hellbringer
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then why do it with one? Don't teach him When he grows, he will have time enough to learn the one he chooses, if he chooses any.
69_rs_ss
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Religion and the right to choose. Reply with quote

a23d56 wrote:
69_rs_ss wrote:
how does the parent have the right to choose the childs religion. Religion should be a personal choice, not something forced on you

I would like to meet the parent who will spend time introducing their child to many different religions. Who has time for that? It's hard enough just coping with life. You guys are just dreaming. You'll see, if you ever have any children of your own.

Actually, mine taught me about the major religions and told me to make the choice myself. Funny thing is my father is a minister and he didn't even try to force religion on me.
a23d56
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Religion and the right to choose. Reply with quote

69_rs_ss wrote:
mine taught me about the major religions and told me to make the choice myself. Funny thing is my father is a minister and he didn't even try to force religion on me

Obviously he felt one choice was as good as another, and that's true, when false religions are the only choices. Not everyone is ensnared by false religion, though. True religion can be found; the Bible is the key to finding it.

Krigg
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, that's it, you're going to H. E. double toothpicks!!!! :lol:
Stormy Eyes
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Krigg wrote:
Oh, that's it, you're going to H. E. double toothpicks!!!! :lol:

I've been there before. It's called public school in the USA.
hensan
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a23d56 wrote:
True religion can be found; the Bible is the key to finding it.

BWAHAHAHA!!!

Good one. I needed a good laugh.
Stormy Eyes
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Religion and the right to choose. Reply with quote

a23d56 wrote:
True religion can be found; the Bible is the key to finding it.

I thought that if true religion existed at all, one had to find it within oneself.
plate
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why don't you discuss this at one of the existing threads dealing with religion...
Do you believe in God existence?
How can I justify the existence of a GOD!!!???
[SPLIT] Another random religion debate
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Duplicate Threads All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: