problems with bootstraping
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mrf0
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 8:02 pm    Post subject: problems with bootstraping Reply with quote

This is my first time with gentoo and i have a problem passing the bootstrap stage. First i tried to install gentoo with LiveCD 2004.1 but my system got stuck few times while bootstraping. Then i tried 2004.0 (with stage1-x86-20040218.tar.bz2) but each time i ran bootstarp i got some error . My main problem is "TAR unexpected EOF" message while trying to unpack "gettext-0.12.1". I tried editing the packages so it will download 0.11.5-r1 instead of 0.12.1 but the problem remains. If i run "emerge gettext" i get no errors, it happens only in the bootstrap stage. I cant copy here the exact error message since i write this post from windows (couldn't finish the registration with gentoo links2) but i think "TAR unexpected EOF" sums it all.
I checked HD (for enough disk space) and memory (with memtest86) and found nothing.
My CFLAGS are: "-march=athlon-xp -pipe -O3 -fomit-frame-pointer" (AthlonXP 1800+, 512DDR, 60GB HD)
In the USE flag i used only "-java"

I tied once to emrge gettext from 2004.1 and got the same error. since i have more difficulties with 2004.1, i would realy like to finish the installation with 2004.0.

PS- i tried few times to redownload the gettext package but it didn't help.

I really don't know what to do, please help.
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrf0,

"TAR unexpected EOF" means that your tar file is incomplete or corrupt.
Download it again. The filename it gives you is not very useful, its the file it ws working on when the problem happened.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
mrf0
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As i said- i tried redownloading it few times but each time i got the same error. Only "emrege gettext" (0.11.5-r1) worked, but not bootstrap (i assume they both use the same file?).
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: