Out of disk space???
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CmndrM
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2004 5:14 pm    Post subject: Out of disk space??? Reply with quote

I was trying to run a simple emerge --search earlier, and it told me that I was out of disk space! This is incredible, seeing as my / partition is given 18 GB and I used to be able to run a complete linux desktop system with under 3 GB.

Running df -h, it told me that 100% of my disk was in fact used, so I emptied a couple of directories (such as much of the log files in /var/log), but after doing so, I still only have 753M left! Does anyone have any idea what could be eating up so much space?
aridhol
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2004 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. Try emptying /usr/portage/distfiles
All the installationfiles you have downloaded while installing hsa been savved here.

Also, if you make binary packgages you might want to empty out /usr/portage/packages too.
PowerFactor
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2004 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can sometimes reclaim a lot of space by empying /var/tmp/portage too. See this thread for lots of info.
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=8993
Mpemba Effect
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2004 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There has got to be another place where space is vanishing. I recently resinstalled my server. After building everything with custom USE setiings I had a system that was 366MB. Thats with no kernel sources and I used an old bzImage from the previous install.

Everythings running fine at a light 366MB. I decided I want to update the kernel to 2.6.6-rc3. But even after removing the kernel sources, everything from /usr/portage/distfiles and /var/tmp/portage the system sits at 444MB. Now thats 80MB vanished :?
andrew_j_w
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2004 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In your root directory try running
Code:

du -sh *

you can then go into the largest directory and run it again. This is how I track down where my space has gone...

HTH,
Andrew
PowerFactor
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2004 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mpemba Effect wrote:
But even after removing the kernel sources, everything from /usr/portage/distfiles and /var/tmp/portage the system sits at 444MB. Now thats 80MB vanished :?

Did you check /tmp? And how about /var/log. Usualy logs don't take up that much space, but sometimes one does "run away."
CmndrM
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2004 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've basically done all of this, and still the same problem. Should I maybe run fsck and see if there's some sort of filesystem integrety problem?
truekaiser
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PowerFactor wrote:
Mpemba Effect wrote:
But even after removing the kernel sources, everything from /usr/portage/distfiles and /var/tmp/portage the system sits at 444MB. Now thats 80MB vanished :?

Did you check /tmp? And how about /var/log. Usualy logs don't take up that much space, but sometimes one does "run away."

yea check your .xsession-errors. i had one nearly 100meg.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: