View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
r0dzilla
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 2:49 am    Post subject: nVidia Wierdness - nvidia/smp/nfs problems Reply with quote

Having very wierd problems with nvidia.

When nvidia 1.0.4496-r3 is installed, the entire system works wonderfully. However all opengl/3d apps crash.

Upgrading to nvidia 1.0.5336-r2 works fine for opengl/3d apps and just about everything else, but:

- after installing 1.0.5336-r2 nfs shares won't mount during bootup (but running /etc/init.d/netmount restart from the command line works fine)

- I'm using dual-head via nvidia's twinview. When running 1.0.5336-r2 drivers, I notice a flicker on my left monitor every once and a while. Don't remember that happening with 1.0.4496-r3.

- Also (can't confirm this yet, as I've re-done my desktop machine) 1.0.5336-r2 would cause the "black screen" upon exiting X, that I've read about elsewhere in the forums. You cannot ctrl-alt-del or anything, you have to press your computer's reset button to reboot the computer...

I've tried this with both the kernel's agpart and nvidia's

I currently have agpart and dri disabled in the kernel.

I am also using SMP (Pentium 4 with HyperThreading) and kernel 2.6.5-gentoo-r1

I've also done a test where I revert to the older nvidia version and reboot. NFS shares magically start mounting at boot time again. Put the newer nvidia drivers back on and nfs share won't mount on the next reboot. Again, doing a manual /etc/init.d/netmount restart works every time.

Last, but not least, I'm using genkernel. I've read alot of negative comments about it, but it seems to work (mostly) :) Push come to shove, I'll copy my kernel config and do it the old fashioned way...

Any suggestions?
r0dzilla
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2004 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bump
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: