two autofs questions
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fourhead
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2004 4:54 pm    Post subject: two autofs questions Reply with quote

hi i've got two questions for autofs.

first, i was using supermount for my dvd so far which worked fine. but now i also have some nfs shares which i also want to automount, so i thought i'll just switch to automount completely.

my autofs config looks like this:

auto.master:
/media /etc/autofs/auto.media --timeout=1

auto.media:
dvd -fstype=auto,users,ro :/dev/dvd

when i do 'cd /media/dvd' the content of the drive shows up just like it should be. but, when no cd is inserted, there is no directory /media/dvd, there's just /media. the bad thing: how can i then access this directory from konqueror? i'd always have to type in /media/dvd into the adress bar, but this is really not what i want! i could create a symlink named ~/dvd for example which points to /media/dvd, but then when no dvd is inserted, the symlink looks like a file with a lock on it which looks really confusing.

another question: i ealized that automount would take over the whole dir specified in auto.master. so the next problem: my computer is exporting /usr/portage to share it with another gentoo box. on this gentoo box, i've setup nfs to mount it directly into /usr/portage which works fine. but how could i do this with automount? i can't specify /usr in auto.master and then create a config file auto.portage ... because my whole /usr would disappear. i could of course also make some symlinks - but does it really has to be that complicated?

tom
fourhead
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2004 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

forget autofs! forget supermount!

try submount. it's in portage, and sounds very promising. you can use it to automount removable media and network shares. all you have to do is emerge submount, load the subfs kernel module (modules.autoload.d) and change the filesystem to 'subfs' in your /etc/fstab. works like a charm, i can automount both my dvd-rom and my nfs shares on the my girlfriend's gentoo box.

tom
fourhead
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2004 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok ... there IS a little problem with submount :-)

the dvd drive works perfectly just as i want it. but the nfs mount not. when the nfs server is on, and i boot, the share gets mounted just as it should. but when i turn off the server, the share is not only umounted, but the mountpoint directory disappears! when i put the server back ob, the share would not re-mount :-( well i'll see how to fix that!

tom
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: