Crashes after CD-ROM boot
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
styless
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 12:29 pm    Post subject: Crashes after CD-ROM boot Reply with quote

We have som IBM machines that we would like to install Gentoo on. The spec.'s are:

IBM 300PL (i think)
450 MHz
128 MB Ram and
5 GB of HD ...

I know that some of it is below the system requirements but shouldnt i still be able to install Gentoo on the machines? What happens is:

1. It reads the CD and then stalls. I have tried with other Linux dist.'s and they work fine (Red Hat, Mandrake, SuSe). Also tried Windows 95, 98 and ME.

OR

2. It enters the "boot" screen where i have to type "gentoo" and then an option. After that: it stalls.

Any ideas?
maomao0407
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I say its a hardware problem
styless
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah prop. but what?
styless
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But really ... how can it be a hardware prop. if it works with other dists.?
seventhguardian
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 9:03 am    Post subject: ASUS Laptop w/ centrino is the same... Reply with quote

Last week I tried to install gentoo on a friend's laptop, and it crashed right after showing the liveCD splash screen... When it started reading the cdrom for install it stalled, the progress bar didn't start to move.

A similar thing happened when I tried mandrake: if setting the instalation options took too long it stalled.. I managed to install it by being quick :P but it kept crashing all the time.

Using the smp (2.6) gentoo kernel solved the problem, as it booted without any problem. I supose that it was because centrino has smp functionality built-in (?).. Either way, it booted properly. Didn't install it yet, as I didn't have much time lately..

Anyway, i don't think your processors have smp ("hyper threading"). If it does boot but you keep getting error messages, try testing the RAM.. I had the same problem on an athlon XP, and getting off the damaged module took care of the problem. You can try to fit it in after the instalation, but you will get errors once in a while..

If it fails, maybe the mobo is the problem, and so on... Try getting all off except what you realy need, and figure out that way what is wrong.. Good luck! :)
nixnut
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Crashes after CD-ROM boot Reply with quote

[quote="styless"]1. It reads the CD and then stalls. I have tried with other Linux dist.'s and they work fine (Red Hat, Mandrake, SuSe). Also tried Windows 95, 98 and ME./quote]You could try another cd like knoppix and follow the alternative install guide

talk is cheap. supply exceeds demand
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: