View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
robmoss
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stupid arse should get his facts right, huh?

I wrote:
This isn't a compiler bug. It's your bug. From here:

http://gcc.gnu.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=8546

We have the following:

State-Changed-From-To: analyzed->closed
State-Changed-Why: Clobbering %ebx is now illegal in PIC mode on mainline (which
will likely become gcc 3.4).

As such, you shouldn't be clobbering it.

I like my bluntness sometimes :twisted:

emerge -U will kill your Gentoo
ecatmur, Lord of Portage Bash Scripts
F16PilotJumper
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait, let me get thid straight, you have to apply 'several patches' to 'fix various issues' to end up with a 'standard' GCC?

ROFLMAO!
Given M. Sur
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm surprised nobody has posted this yet:
Quote:
Official Gentoo-Linux-Zealot translator-o-matic
By M, version 1.0

Gentoo Linux is an interesting new distribution with some great features. Unfortunately, it has attracted a large number of clueless wannabes and leprotards who absolutely MUST advocate Gentoo at every opportunity. Let's look at the language of these zealots, and find out what it really means...

"Gentoo makes me so much more productive."
"Although I can't use the box at the moment because it's compiling something, as it will be for the next five days, it gives me more time to check out the latest USE flags and potentially unstable optimisation settings."

"Gentoo is more in the spirit of open source!"
"Apart from Hello World in Pascal at school, I've never written a single program in my life or contributed to an open source project, yet staring at endless streams of GCC output whizzing by somehow helps me contribute to international freedom."

"I use Gentoo because it's more like the BSDs."
"Last month I tried to install FreeBSD on a well-supported machine, but the text-based installer scared me off. I've never used a BSD, but the guys on Slashdot say that it's l33t though, so surely I must be for using Gentoo."

"Heh, my system is soooo much faster after installing Gentoo."
"I've spent hours recompiling Fetchmail, X-Chat, gEdit and thousands of other programs which spend 99% of their time waiting for user input. Even though only the kernel and glibc make a significant difference with optimisations, and RPMs and .debs can be rebuilt with a handful of commands (AND Red Hat supplies i686 kernel and glibc packages), my box MUST be faster. It's nothing to do with the fact that I've disabled all startup services and I'm running BlackBox instead of GNOME or KDE."

"...my Gentoo Linux workstation..."
"...my overclocked AMD eMachines box from PC World, and apart from the third-grade made-to-break components and dodgy fan..."

"You Red Hat guys must get sick of dependency hell..."
"I'm too stupid to understand that circular dependencies can be resolved by specifying BOTH .rpms together on the command line, and that problems hardly ever occur if one uses proper Red Hat packages instead of mixing SuSE, Mandrake and Joe's Linux packages together (which the system wasn't designed for)."

"All the other distros are soooo out of date."
"Constantly upgrading to the latest bleeding-edge untested software makes me more productive. Never mind the extensive testing and patching that Debian and Red Hat perform on their packages; I've just emerged the latest GNOME beta snapshot and compiled with -O9 -fomit-instructions, and it only crashes once every few hours."

"Let's face it, Gentoo is the future."
"OK, so no serious business is going to even consider Gentoo in the near future, and even with proper support and QA in place, it'll still eat up far too much of a company's valuable time. But this guy I met on #animepr0n is now using it, so it must be growing!"
I've seen this posted a couple of times on slashdot. Needless to say, whoever wrote it has never actually tried gentoo (extremely obvious from the being scared by BSD's text-based installer line)
Hayl
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2004 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

in my experience most of the people who hate it are the ones who either a: couldn't install it (read: can't read and folow a simple document), or b: fscked it up totally after they got it installed and blamed the distro.

usually with case b: they install a new distro, have different (or sometimes the same) problems and blame the new distro as well, on into infinite number of distros.

:D
HydroSan
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2004 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

00420 wrote:
Quote:
By M, version 1.0

Gentoo Linux is an interesting new distribution with some great features. Unfortunately, it has attracted a large number of clueless wannabes and leprotards who absolutely MUST advocate Gentoo at every opportunity. Let's look at the language of these zealots, and find out what it really means...

"Although I can't use the box at the moment because it's compiling something, as it will be for the next five days, it gives me more time to check out the latest USE flags and potentially unstable optimisation settings."

"Apart from Hello World in Pascal at school, I've never written a single program in my life or contributed to an open source project, yet staring at endless streams of GCC output whizzing by somehow helps me contribute to international freedom."

"Last month I tried to install FreeBSD on a well-supported machine, but the text-based installer scared me off. I've never used a BSD, but the guys on Slashdot say that it's l33t though, so surely I must be for using Gentoo."

"I've spent hours recompiling Fetchmail, X-Chat, gEdit and thousands of other programs which spend 99% of their time waiting for user input. Even though only the kernel and glibc make a significant difference with optimisations, and RPMs and .debs can be rebuilt with a handful of commands (AND Red Hat supplies i686 kernel and glibc packages), my box MUST be faster. It's nothing to do with the fact that I've disabled all startup services and I'm running BlackBox instead of GNOME or KDE."

"...my overclocked AMD eMachines box from PC World, and apart from the third-grade made-to-break components and dodgy fan..."

"I'm too stupid to understand that circular dependencies can be resolved by specifying BOTH .rpms together on the command line, and that problems hardly ever occur if one uses proper Red Hat packages instead of mixing SuSE, Mandrake and Joe's Linux packages together (which the system wasn't designed for)."

"Constantly upgrading to the latest bleeding-edge untested software makes me more productive. Never mind the extensive testing and patching that Debian and Red Hat perform on their packages; I've just emerged the latest GNOME beta snapshot and compiled with -O9 -fomit-instructions, and it only crashes once every few hours."

"OK, so no serious business is going to even consider Gentoo in the near future, and even with proper support and QA in place, it'll still eat up far too much of a company's valuable time. But this guy I met on #animepr0n is now using it, so it must be growing!"
I've seen this posted a couple of times on slashdot. Needless to say, whoever wrote it has never actually tried gentoo (extremely obvious from the being scared by BSD's text-based installer line)

This seems like something you'd see on the Debian Hatemail list.

*ZING*

And whats that about no support? Weren't we ranked on Slashdot as one of the best places to get info, aside from LDP?

Server status: Currently down, being replaced with fresh install - 20% completed.
Given M. Sur
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2004 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HydroSan wrote:
And whats that about no support? Weren't we ranked on Slashdot as one of the best places to get info, aside from LDP?
I don't know about being ranked on /. but I wouldn't be surprised, since these forums are the best support forums I've ever seen.

But, the post I quoted was made by a troll, so I doubt he knows how gentoo is ranked for support either.
langthang
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll use this thread to collect Gentoo bashing when ever I saw one.
I am sad when someone report bug upstream, without any investigate devs close bug as INVALID :twisted: . Luckily, we got someone really good at debugging straightens them up :).

One more time, our hero.................ecatmur :)
http://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=142850#c11
Syntaxis
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HydroSan wrote:
This seems like something you'd see on the Debian Hatemail list.

*ZING*

Yes, yes, very droll. :roll:

Seriously, though, this widespread hatred you envisage the Debian community having for Gentoo doesn't actually exist; it's all in your head. Anyone interested, please see nrl's superbly-written post on the subject (https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?p=1170098#1170098). I think he covered pretty much all the bases, so I won't bother rehashing it here.
robmoss
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2004 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

langthang wrote:
I'll use this thread to collect Gentoo bashing when ever I saw one.
I am sad when someone report bug upstream, without any investigate devs close bug as INVALID :twisted: . Luckily, we got someone really good at debugging straightens them up :).

One more time, our hero.................ecatmur :)
http://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=142850#c11

Indeed. My flatmate, no less. The conversation went something a little bit like this when he worked it out:

Quote:
Ed: I've worked it out!
Rob: What?
Ed: That gstreamer thing.
Rob: What's wrong with it?
Ed: Well you know how reiser4 lets you open files as directories?
Rob: Ah yes. Oh that could be a problem.
Ed: So I've posted a fix to the GNOME Bugzilla. That guy is such a fucking idiot!
Rob: Who is?
Ed: The guy who flamed the Gentoo user, you know, the one who tried to tell him it wasn't their bug?
Rob: Agreed. He's an idiot.

:P

emerge -U will kill your Gentoo
ecatmur, Lord of Portage Bash Scripts
ioslipstream
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2004 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best I've seen so far:

http://funroll-loops.org
gnuageux
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2004 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
>> This guy should really install gentoo and do an emerge life
he doesn't deserve it, give him a 286 and Win pre 98se ;))

Couldnt agree more!

Registered Linux user#364538
yoshi314
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there are some things gentoo users simply have to do:
---------------------------------------------------------------
1. learn to be patient (compiles, fixing bugs, working stuff out in the system when working with unstable stuff takes time)
2. learn to be helpful (gentoo community is one of the best communities out there. time to return the favor and contribute yourself)
3. learn to be forgiving (almost everybody out there is a gentoo-hater, because gentoo is not the easiest thing to install for an average guy.
. i had 12 failures before i figured it out. people think having gentoo makes you l33t, some of them get jealous, because the didn't make it (the install)
. i like gentoo for emerge - it's a nice wrapper for ./configure <...> && make && make install + software management ,
. and customization of the system is THE reason i use it. somehow people only see "from-source" and "optimizations")
4. don't bash other linux distributions.
. don't add extra oil to the fire, maybe it'll put out someday. hopefully people will realize that we all are using the same thing - an OS based around the
. Linux kernel (maybe also Hurd kernel in the future). let's not lower ourselves to flame wars "distro X sucks because it's binary and optimized only for
. e.g. 386/486/586 . gentoo is sooooo much better". sometimes silence is more meaningful than getiing involved in stupid pointless arguments.
5. get used to learning. gentoo teaches people various things. share your experience. i wouldn't know even half of what i know now about linux if it
. weren't for gentoo.
6. learn to tolerate people using other distros. there are people who simply prefer to use mandrake because it's easier to use. there are people who
. like debian since it's very stable. there are folks working on knoppix on a regular basis (really), because they don't feel to confident about
. partitioning/installation. the list goes on, you know :D

instead of doing gentoo-crusades let's simply prove the bastards wrong. show them the good things in gentoo. what other distro allows you to choose features of the packages you wish to install in almost every case (USE flags) (slackware has something like that with some packages, like gcc for instance (you can install each programming language support separately for gcc)). what other distro has such devoted community. what other distro is so customizable and versatile? and what other distro can match up gentoo in being up-to-date (arch linux is doing a great job in here actually)?

Quote:
he doesn't deserve it, give him a 286 and Win pre 98se ;))

give him gentoo and amiga so he would compile some stuff (glibc takes a day to emerge in there) :D

sorry for my rambling, that's what came up to my mind after reading all this. it's an awful OT but i just couldn't stop myself blurting it all out.
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Given M. Sur wrote:
By M, version 1.0

Hee hee hee...oh wait, this one is actually true! :lol:

Well, maybe not for five days, and definitely not with unstable settings. But I have had this happen to me--usually when I need to watch a video or DVD and need to reboot into Windows, I might be compiling something. Dangit!
yoshi314
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
well actually gentoo makes YOUR BOX much more productive :P

don't you think gentoo is an excellent benchmark for your PC? you can see how big impact on raw computing power has CPU, RAM, Mainboard, and your software configuration. 3d cards aside (thank gawd) ^_^.
curtis119
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

Location: Toledo, Ohio,USA, North America, Earth, SOL System, Milky Way, The Universe, The Cosmos, and Beyond.

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

-curtis119: split the debate over mailing lists or web forums.
FxChiP
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

About that Sean Egan post: yeah, I'm pretty sure that was him. For two reasons:

a.) He really is a jerk like that
b.) He (and many of the Gaim devs) hate Gentoo with a passion. They seem to hate every distribution that isn't Debian with a passion, unless I haven't been in there enough.

As for Gentoo-bashers, I think they're just jealous because our community is a bit nicer than theirs is ;) so they have to try to bring us down so that we start fighting and become just as horrible as they are. :D

A 286 with Win 95? I don't think a 286 can handle Win 95. I think we should give him a Commodore 64. One of those really really old ones. :)
WTFman
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Given M. Sur wrote:
Quote:
By M, version 1.0

True but the animepr0n line makes me think he knows quite a few who do use gentoo
LostSon
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am so sick of all the stereotype between, IRC and many forums gentoo users and gentoo itself gets blasted constantly. People need to get a life :cry:
CrimsonScythe
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Though this thread is old, I thought I could add this one by Sean Egan:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=436024&postcount=14

Evidently a gaim-cvs ebuild singlehandedly brought down the SourceForge cvs servers, and apparently it was intentionally done by Gentoo. Of course...
playfool
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CrimsonScythe wrote:

Evidently a gaim-cvs ebuild singlehandedly brought down the SourceForge cvs servers, and apparently it was intentionally done by Gentoo. Of course...

Oh man I was going to post that... I especially like the (*shudder*) after every mention of Gentoo
BlackEdder
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nightmorph wrote:
usually when I need to watch a video or DVD and need to reboot into Windows

uh??? Why would you boot into windows for that? :oops:
Carlo
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CrimsonScythe wrote:

He's right. Live cvs ebuilds do suck.
Earthwings
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Split off and banned some trolls.
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BlackEdder wrote:
nightmorph wrote:
usually when I need to watch a video or DVD and need to reboot into Windows

uh??? Why would you boot into windows for that? :oops:

That was some time ago. Look at the date stamp. :lol:
I don't even have Windows on this machine anymore. Totem works fine with win32codecs, though I will say that .wma videos don't always work as they should; the encoding seems very messed up. Lots of artifacts and glitches on videos that I know are good, since I've played them on WMP in the past.

Haven't tried DVDs yet, but I assume that they'll work with Xine, once I bother to install it. I think any objections (or bashing) to Gentoo on the grounds that it doesn't support the same media formats as Windows are more or less groundless, now.

Although, now that I've lost half my RAM and am down to 128MB, serious compiling does knock my machine out of real work for some time. :(
Blood Fluke
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 12:48 am    Post subject: Re: Best Gentoo bashing Reply with quote

metallikop wrote:
All in good fun here. Lets have the best Gentoo bashing you've seen:

I'll start it off with https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=35890

oh hey there ars buddy

I'm surprised you didn't fill the thread with greenfly quotes.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: