howl on amd64
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on AMD64
View previous topic :: View next topic  
deepspace9
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 10:58 am    Post subject: howl on amd64 Reply with quote

Emerge does not work, so, I looked at the source.

Besides this error, wich is easy to fix:

Code:
In file included from ../../include/salt/socket.h:32,
                 from socket_i.h:67,
                 from address.c:29:
../../include/salt/vtypes.h:127:4: #error "CPU unknown"

I get:

Code:
In file included from ./NotOSX/notosx_mdns.h:39,
                 from ./Posix/posix_mdns.h:34,
                 from Posix/posix_mdns.c:29:
./NotOSX/DNSServices.h:249: warning: division by zero
./NotOSX/DNSServices.h:249: error: storage size of 'dns_check_compile_time_249' isn't constant
./NotOSX/DNSServices.h:259: warning: division by zero
./NotOSX/DNSServices.h:259: error: storage size of 'dns_check_compile_time_259' isn't constant

This happens in gcc 3.3.3 and 3.4, so I guess it is amd64 specific. Anyone an idea?
deepspace9
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2004 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, since I didn't hear anything, I got to work on it myself. After changing some (unsigned) long's to (unsigned) int's, and making sure that x86_64 is recognised, howl wil compile and install. The problem is: it still does not work...

here is the diff to get it to compile (against 0.9.5):
Code:

57a58,61
> #if defined(__x86_64__)
> typedef int                                   sw_long;
> typedef unsigned int          sw_ulong;
> #else
59a64
> #endif
123a129,130
> #       elif defined(__x86_64__)
> #             define SW_ENDIAN                1

While compiling I get the following list of warning:

Code:

gcc -DPACKAGE_NAME=\"\" -DPACKAGE_TARNAME=\"\" -DPACKAGE_VERSION=\"\" -DPACKAGE_STRING=\"\" -DPACKAGE_BUGREPORT=\"\" -DPACKAGE=\"howl\" -DVERSION=\"0.9.5\" -DSTDC_HEADERS=1 -DHAVE_SYS_TYPES_H=1 -DHAVE_SYS_STAT_H=1 -DHAVE_STDLIB_H=1 -DHAVE_STRING_H=1 -DHAVE_MEMORY_H=1 -DHAVE_STRINGS_H=1 -DHAVE_INTTYPES_H=1 -DHAVE_STDINT_H=1 -DHAVE_UNISTD_H=1 -DHAVE_DLFCN_H=1 -I. -I. -I../../../include/ -I../ -g -O2 -c NotOSX/notosx_mdns.c -MT notosx_mdns.lo -MD -MP -MF .deps/notosx_mdns.TPlo  -fPIC -DPIC -o .libs/notosx_mdns.lo
NotOSX/notosx_mdns.c: In function `sw_mdns_stub_publish_domain':
NotOSX/notosx_mdns.c:487: warning: cast to pointer from integer of different size
NotOSX/notosx_mdns.c: In function `sw_mdns_stub_stop_publish_domain':
NotOSX/notosx_mdns.c:541: warning: cast from pointer to integer of different size
NotOSX/notosx_mdns.c: In function `sw_mdns_stub_publish_host':
NotOSX/notosx_mdns.c:590: warning: cast to pointer from integer of different size
NotOSX/notosx_mdns.c: In function `sw_mdns_stub_stop_publish_host':
NotOSX/notosx_mdns.c:646: warning: cast from pointer to integer of different size
NotOSX/notosx_mdns.c: In function `sw_mdns_stub_publish':
NotOSX/notosx_mdns.c:699: warning: cast to pointer from integer of different size
NotOSX/notosx_mdns.c: In function `sw_mdns_stub_publish_update':
NotOSX/notosx_mdns.c:764: warning: cast from pointer to integer of different size
NotOSX/notosx_mdns.c: In function `sw_mdns_stub_stop_publish':
NotOSX/notosx_mdns.c:801: warning: cast from pointer to integer of different size
NotOSX/notosx_mdns.c: In function `sw_mdns_stub_browse_domains':
NotOSX/notosx_mdns.c:847: warning: cast to pointer from integer of different size
NotOSX/notosx_mdns.c: In function `sw_mdns_stub_stop_browse_domains':
NotOSX/notosx_mdns.c:899: warning: cast from pointer to integer of different size
NotOSX/notosx_mdns.c: In function `sw_mdns_stub_browse_services':
NotOSX/notosx_mdns.c:947: warning: cast to pointer from integer of different size
NotOSX/notosx_mdns.c: In function `sw_mdns_stub_stop_browse_services':
NotOSX/notosx_mdns.c:1001: warning: cast from pointer to integer of different size
NotOSX/notosx_mdns.c: In function `sw_mdns_stub_resolve':
NotOSX/notosx_mdns.c:1050: warning: cast to pointer from integer of different size
NotOSX/notosx_mdns.c: In function `sw_mdns_stub_stop_resolve':
NotOSX/notosx_mdns.c:1105: warning: cast from pointer to integer of different size
NotOSX/notosx_mdns.c: In function `sw_mdns_stub_dispatcher':
NotOSX/notosx_mdns.c:1214: warning: cast to pointer from integer of different size
NotOSX/notosx_mdns.c:1233: warning: cast to pointer from integer of different size
NotOSX/notosx_mdns.c:1252: warning: cast to pointer from integer of different size
NotOSX/notosx_mdns.c:1278: warning: cast to pointer from integer of different size
NotOSX/notosx_mdns.c:1312: warning: cast to pointer from integer of different size
NotOSX/notosx_mdns.c: In function `sw_mdns_servant_publish_domain':
NotOSX/notosx_mdns.c:1546: warning: cast from pointer to integer of different size
NotOSX/notosx_mdns.c: In function `sw_mdns_servant_stop_publish_domain':
NotOSX/notosx_mdns.c:1578: warning: cast from pointer to integer of different size
NotOSX/notosx_mdns.c: In function `sw_mdns_servant_publish_host':
NotOSX/notosx_mdns.c:1639: warning: cast from pointer to integer of different size
NotOSX/notosx_mdns.c: In function `sw_mdns_servant_stop_publish_host':
NotOSX/notosx_mdns.c:1678: warning: cast from pointer to integer of different size
NotOSX/notosx_mdns.c: In function `sw_mdns_servant_publish':
NotOSX/notosx_mdns.c:1744: warning: cast from pointer to integer of different size
NotOSX/notosx_mdns.c: In function `sw_mdns_servant_publish_update':
NotOSX/notosx_mdns.c:1786: warning: cast from pointer to integer of different size
NotOSX/notosx_mdns.c: In function `sw_mdns_servant_stop_publish':
NotOSX/notosx_mdns.c:1812: warning: cast from pointer to integer of different size
NotOSX/notosx_mdns.c: In function `sw_mdns_servant_browse_domains':
NotOSX/notosx_mdns.c:1873: warning: cast from pointer to integer of different size
NotOSX/notosx_mdns.c: In function `sw_mdns_servant_stop_browse_domains':
NotOSX/notosx_mdns.c:1911: warning: cast from pointer to integer of different size
NotOSX/notosx_mdns.c: In function `sw_mdns_servant_browse_services':
NotOSX/notosx_mdns.c:1970: warning: cast from pointer to integer of different size
NotOSX/notosx_mdns.c: In function `sw_mdns_servant_stop_browse_services':
NotOSX/notosx_mdns.c:2006: warning: cast from pointer to integer of different size
NotOSX/notosx_mdns.c: In function `sw_mdns_servant_resolve':
NotOSX/notosx_mdns.c:2066: warning: cast from pointer to integer of different size
NotOSX/notosx_mdns.c: In function `sw_mdns_servant_stop_resolve':
NotOSX/notosx_mdns.c:2092: warning: cast from pointer to integer of different size
NotOSX/notosx_mdns.c: In function `sw_mdns_servant_publish_domain_reply':
NotOSX/notosx_mdns.c:2379: warning: cast from pointer to integer of different size
NotOSX/notosx_mdns.c: In function `sw_mdns_servant_publish_host_reply':
NotOSX/notosx_mdns.c:2412: warning: cast from pointer to integer of different size
NotOSX/notosx_mdns.c: In function `sw_mdns_servant_publish_reply':
NotOSX/notosx_mdns.c:2445: warning: cast from pointer to integer of different size
NotOSX/notosx_mdns.c: In function `sw_mdns_servant_browse_reply':
NotOSX/notosx_mdns.c:2484: warning: cast from pointer to integer of different size
NotOSX/notosx_mdns.c: In function `sw_mdns_servant_resolve_reply':
NotOSX/notosx_mdns.c:2531: warning: cast from pointer to integer of different size
NotOSX/notosx_mdns.c: In function `sw_mdns_servant_publish_host_callback':
NotOSX/notosx_mdns.c:2602: warning: cast to pointer from integer of different size
NotOSX/notosx_mdns.c: In function `sw_mdns_servant_publish_callback':
NotOSX/notosx_mdns.c:2627: warning: cast to pointer from integer of different size
NotOSX/notosx_mdns.c:2633: warning: cast to pointer from integer of different size
NotOSX/notosx_mdns.c:2639: warning: cast to pointer from integer of different size
NotOSX/notosx_mdns.c:2645: warning: cast to pointer from integer of different size
NotOSX/notosx_mdns.c: In function `sw_mdns_servant_browse_callback':
NotOSX/notosx_mdns.c:2694: warning: cast to pointer from integer of different size
NotOSX/notosx_mdns.c:2700: warning: cast to pointer from integer of different size
NotOSX/notosx_mdns.c:2707: warning: cast to pointer from integer of different size
NotOSX/notosx_mdns.c:2713: warning: cast to pointer from integer of different size
NotOSX/notosx_mdns.c:2719: warning: cast to pointer from integer of different size
NotOSX/notosx_mdns.c:2725: warning: cast to pointer from integer of different size
NotOSX/notosx_mdns.c:2731: warning: cast to pointer from integer of different size
NotOSX/notosx_mdns.c:2737: warning: cast to pointer from integer of different size
NotOSX/notosx_mdns.c: In function `sw_mdns_servant_resolve_callback':
NotOSX/notosx_mdns.c:2782: warning: cast from pointer to integer of different size
NotOSX/notosx_mdns.c:2784: warning: cast to pointer from integer of different size

Might be because void pointers are 8 bytes on x86_64... and might also be why howl does not work yet..

Could somebody help me, I realy need it to work 8O
Lv
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2004 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is a common problem with porting software to amd64. a pointer wont fit inside of an int on amd64, so casting a pointer to an int and the other way around wont really work. you can cast a pointer to a long... but you might not want to do that anyways. looks like you have a lot of debugging to do :)

but you seem to already know that since you already changed some ints to longs...
Vzzrzzn
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2004 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The recommended way to fix (32-bit) code that casts pointers to int's and performs arithmetic, is to instead cast the pointer to a (char *)

So it's as simple as going to each of the warning-generating lines, and replacing (int) with (char *) ... after that, cross your fingers.
See this page for more:

http://www.treblig.org/articles/64bits.html
Lv
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2004 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the link :)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on AMD64 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: