sound only from video?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
viper2pt0
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 6:21 am    Post subject: sound only from video? Reply with quote

hey guys, im having trouble.....my sound only works when i watch videos in Mplayer. if i try to play a cd or anything it doesnt work. i have a via8235 onboard sound. i dont know if this helps..but on the bottom right of my screen i have a little speaker with a cross through it. when i double click on it i get this error : Couldnt open mixer device /dev/sound/mixer...im running the 2.6.5 kernel any / all help is appreciated thanks in advance
jkt
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

a) are you using KDE or GNOME?
b) do you have ALSA support?
c) CD playback requires extra cable between CD-ROM and soundcard, in your case between CD-ROM and mainboard connector
d) try to run `alsamixer` and unmute audio channels
viper2pt0
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

im running gnome, and ASAIK alsa is all installed an operational....ill try that extra cable thingy, i dont have one and sound works fine in windows...im guessing linux is different?..ill grab a cable next time im home from school and try it out..thanks alot
Malakin
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
c) CD playback requires extra cable between CD-ROM and soundcard, in your case between CD-ROM and mainboard connector
This isn't entirely true. The "old" way of playing audio cd's was to stream the audio over the analog audio cable from the CD drive to the sound card. The new way is to read the information digitally just like you would anything else, this results in better sound quality, the ability to run the music through effects filters/equilizers/whatever and saves oem's from having to install the cable. Win2k was able to do this with a simple tick mark in the drive options and WinXP does this by default. Since most systems sold today come with WinXP they usually don't come with analog audio cables anymore.

I suppose originally the cable was used since the cpu utilization might actually be significant to play it digitally on an older computer like a low end 486.

The xmms cd audio player plugin has an option to play the audio digitally, I'm not sure about other players so you'd have to look into whatever you're using.
jkt
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, you're right. and the second reason might be the IDE channel utilisation - significant, if you have DVD/CD & DVD/CD burner on the same cable and try to play audio CD ;-)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: