big files and ssh
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
numerodix
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 10:56 am    Post subject: big files and ssh Reply with quote

I've gotten in the habit of making periodical backups of my boxen so that I won't be sorry when the inevitable happens. I transfer these tar archives to my desktop computer with konqueror and fish, and burn them on dvd. Recently one of the archives to be transferred was 3.2GB, I fired up konqueror and using the fish protocol I navigated to where it's located on the filesystem. The filesize is displayed as "0 GB" and when trying to transfer the file I get a read error. I tried to reproduce this by looking at the desktop box from another one and a 2.6GB tar archive was also displayed as "0 GB".

Strange, could it be just konq/fish/ssh? I can use these archives fine on the box they were created. But I burnt one on a dvd and tried copying it over to the desktop that has all the other backups. The file copied was only 6MB in size... :? :?:
Nate_S
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2004 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you burning the DVDs in iso9660? AFAIK, iso9660 can only do files up to 2GB, you can either split the file into chunks, or use udf.
PowerFactor
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2004 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like it's a konqueror/fish thing. I have some ~4GB files on my server that show up as 0B when using konq/fish. When using konq/sftp two of them show up as a few hundred megs while the other one shows up as 16,777,216TB. 8O Using the command line sftp client the corect size is displayed, and I put them there though an ssh tunnel in the first place, so it's not a limitation in the ssh/sftp protocol.
Konq/sftp seems to copy them over just fine though, just the amount remaining is all wrong. If I try with fish it says it can't read the file.
numerodix
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2004 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, sftp it is, I'll remember that.

And thanks to you, Nate! I think it was iso9660 indeed. How is udf supported in Windows btw?
Nate_S
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2004 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's supported fine in windows. AFAIK, most dvd movies are udf.
numerodix
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2004 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PowerFactor, you were right, sftp works fine only the indicator goes haywire and the file is displayed as several TB's. Not to worry though.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: