View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wads
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2004 2:59 pm    Post subject: Can emerge, but can't run nvtv Reply with quote

I've emerged nvtv successfully, but when I try to run it, I get the message "Compiled without gui." Around a year ago, another poster had this problem and it resolved sorta automagically. I can't seem to figure out what to do. I went to sourceforge and built the latest nvtv source and it pops up a GUI for a moment before segfaulting. The emerge stuff is probably safest, but without a GUI, it's unusable. Am I forgetting a USE flag or something?

-David

UPDATE: After installing gtk and enabling the USE flag, I now longer get the "Compiled without gui" message; now, it just segfaults. <sigh> Still hoping to get some suggestions.
rusty
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2004 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you just need nvtv in order to use the TV-Out feature, then you are better off doing it by hands. Simply put this in "Device" Section of /etc/X11/XF86Config
Code:
    Option "TwinView"
    Option "TwinViewOrientation" "Clone"
    Option "UseEdidFreqs"        "True" # For autodetecting tv refresh rate
    Option "MetaModes"           "1024x768, 1024x768" # TV, Monitor
    Option "TVStandard"          "NTSC-M" # US tv standard
wads
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2004 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If you just need nvtv in order to use the TV-Out feature, then you are better off doing it by hands. Simply put this in "Device" Section of /etc/X11/XF86Config

Thanks for the suggestion, but TV-Out is working. I do, however, want to tweak some of the settings. The picture is rather washed out and pigmentation seems unnatural. I tried changing this with my TV, but couldn't get the results I wanted. On the MythTV list (I run Myth), people suggesting tweaking with nvtv, but I can't get it to run without crashing immediately. I ran it with strace and looked at the results. I notice that there are a lot of files not found that nvtv tries to load -- mainly relating to fonts and cursors -- but I don't know how to rectify the problem:

Code:
read(5, "", 4096)                       = 0

The previous line is repeated 576 times before the program crashes.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: