Partitions Query
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bigjohn
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2004 10:43 pm    Post subject: Partitions Query Reply with quote

Firstly, I should apologise for my stupidity.

I've spent some time reading suggestions/idea's/etc and am still confused.

I've just repartitioned my hard drive so it looks like this.

hda1=xp (about 20 gig's)
hda2=boot(1 gig)
hda3=swap(1.5 gig's)
hda4=extended so it's got
hda5=root(20 gig's)
hda6=home(about 71 gig's)

Some of you may think that my partition sizes are a little extreme, well that maybe so, but the boot 1 gig is a nice round number (no other reason, other than I've got the space), the swap is about double the 768 meg's of physical ram I've got, the 20 gigs for root is because apart from the main root functions etc I don't really understand what else it would do (erm, presuming that because I've allocated the rest of the disc for the home partition, all the other partitions/directories i.e. /var, /usr, etc etc also go into the root partition and do their stuff there?).

So, the question that's really confused me (well 2 questions really).

Would/should I need a seperate /usr partition or is the 20 gig's I've allocated to root, be ok/enough ?

And when it comes to actually doing my intended install (hopefully tomorrow), I'm presuming that following the handbook (printed off in readiness) that I just tell it to make the file system's (I'd intended using reiserfs for both root and home) but when it's time to mount the partitions do I have to tell it to mount the /gentoo (which if I understand the instructions becomes the root partition and mount the /home partition or does it mount the /home automatically?

regards

John

p.s. There used to be a nice easy to follow install guide, when I installed gentoo before, whereas now all the install instructions seem to have been incorporated into the "handbook". Anyone know what happened to it?
gcasillo
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2004 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless you like having 900+MB lying around unused, I'd knock that /boot partition down to 32 or 64MB (64 for journaling filesystems like ext3 and reiserfs).

Consider how much the portage tree and relevant tarballs in /usr/portage/distfiles take up:
Code:
gregg@dostoevsky gregg $ du -sh /usr/portage/
2.6G    /usr/portage/

Actually, that's not too bad, but that's on a laptop that runs a modest amount of apps. I suppose that could grow for a desktop that you really load out. I'd say 20GB is okay, but then, I've never run separate /home, /usr, and / partitions before.
Lajasha
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2004 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well as gcasillo said you might want to think about chopping the boot partition down adn giving it to something else. But other than that it looks fine.

You will need to make an entry in the fstab file to tell it to mount the /home partition as well as the root partition. just simply copy one of the other lines and modify it appropriately for the home mount.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: