View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
qemilo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2003 9:49 am    Post subject: Superduo? Reply with quote

Just have to release this idea running round in my brain.

The two Linux distros of my choise, ArchLinux and Gentoo, have several thing in common. They are both about choise, they are both about speed, they are both fairly up-to-date and they both focus the important relation between users and developers, focus the community.
AL is better in some ways. Better sollutions for installation (my opinion) and nice to be able to install binaries.
Gentoo has more options to optimise and custimise the system. Also Gentoo have more packages

I think it would be a very good idea to make these two systems working together, yet keep their distros as two seperated system, two teams cooperating only where its nescesary.
Portage for Arch and Pacman for Gentoo. Would be greate to use Pacman to install a package fast and easy, when I need a package, and let Portage optimise the system while I have to not use my computer. Think this sounds like a better idea than Gentoo devolopers starts making binaries, and less work on their sourcebased system. Or Arch developers starts making a portage system, with less work on their binarybased system. And it would let users have more packages to choose from.
Kind of a twoheaded supersystem

Please keep in mind. I am new to both the distros, and have no idea what the plans are. I am an User, I have no idea about the really differences between the two systems, or whether this would be trivial or not. Dont think its impossible though, and in my head the idea is very good.

What do you think?
charlieg
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2003 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's a good idea in concept.

I mean, let the source distro handles the sources and the binary distro handle the binaries.

However, I think there would be a lot of hurdles in implementing this. You'll have problems with programs interoperating due to different underlying expectations (eg which gcc was used for compilation or use flags). You'll have problems with getting pacman and portage to talk to each other.

But it's an interesting thought. File a bug suggesting it. :)

Open source web-enabled rich UI platform: Vexi
qemilo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2003 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same topic on Arch Linux forum:

http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?p=3438#3438
plate
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2003 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny that you mention it. I know a few people who count Arch and Gentoo among their favourite Linux distributions. Overcoming the obvious Arch restriction that it's i686 only (no PPC, no Sparc, 100% PC-centric), I agree that Pacman [*] is a nice way of updating a binary distribution, but Gentoo is source-based, and I don't really see the point, but that's just me, I suppose... :P Getting Portage to run on Arch is an entirely different matter and shouldn't be too hard. Check Installing Portage on Other Distros for details.

[*] I shiver at the thought of legal implications using that name...
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2003 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to mention that mixing source based and binary based distros would be a nightmare*. I've dubbed any binary Gentoo as "Gentoo Valdez".

* - According to what I've heard from people who know what they're talking about.
gsfgf
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2003 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

portage supports binary packages. all we need is a repository of prebuilt binaries. You could install this way if you must at the expense of losing USE configurations.
charlieg
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2003 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gsfgf wrote:
portage supports binary packages. all we need is a repository of prebuilt binaries. You could install this way if you must at the expense of losing USE configurations.

Not necessarily... you could have a different binary for each USE var permutation...

Actually, it would be an interesting 'business' to run alongside Gentoo; basically have a server farm that uses distcc to compile and distrubte Gentoo binaries per requested and charge a small amount for it.

gsfgf
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2003 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

charlieg wrote:
gsfgf wrote:

Not necessarily... you could have a different binary for each USE var permutation...

Actually, it would be an interesting 'business' to run alongside Gentoo; basically have a server farm that uses distcc to compile and distrubte Gentoo binaries per requested and charge a small amount for it.

yea, but ther's no way to get everything and more than 1 or two different versiopns would necessatiate charging just b/c of what it would take to build and store all those binaries. I also don't know whop exactly would use that. If i was installing form binaries i'd install everything from basic USE configs and emerge -e --deep world with my on use vars overnight.
XWRed1
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2003 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd LOVE to have binary packages of most things.

People always say it'd be too hard, Gentoo is source based, the ADVANTAGE of Gentoo is to watch gcc run.

But FreeBSD seems to pull off mixed binary and source package management just fine. If I want to build something from source ala Portage, just go into /usr/ports and do it. If I want a binary package, I just do pkg_add -r pkgname. Both of them seem to behave fine together.

I'll compile with optimizations and flex my use flags as much as the next guy, but sometimes I just don't have the time or resources. Like on my laptop, sometimes I wouldn't want to wait a half hour for it to compile something I need right now. Or if I ran Gentoo on a server (this is a big reason I don't), I wouldn't necessarily want to spend a bunch of cpu time compiling.

I don't know about others, but I like Gentoo not just because I can compile everything from source with OMG SUPAR OPTIMERIZATIONS. I like the init scripts, the filesystem layout, most of the way Portage works.

Of course, I can see the logistical problems of hosting alot of binaries. As for building them and deciding which USE flags to use, I'd suggest build them against a default set of USE flags for whatever Gentoo release they are matched with. "Gentoo releases?" you say. What are those?

Another thing I think would be nifty or cool would be to be able to sync my Portage tree to different branches. Once again, similar to the BSDs and Debian. When a Gentoo release is made, fork that and call it -STABLE or -RELEASE or something, and build binary packages for it with its default USE flags (i.e. when you install that version of Gentoo, whatever /etc/make.conf has). Let people sync to -STABLE/-RELEASE if they want to and just update it GLSAs. Thats something I could stand to put on a server, and use binary packages.

People who want to stay bleeding edge and sync their Portage trees with -CURRENT, and obviously its not practical to ALWAYS be building a new binary package for EVERY update to every ebuild in that tree. So those people can forgo most of the binaries, except maybe the GRP things and those other things that are kludged in as binaries because they can't be built or are a pain to build.

Yea, flame me out for hating open source or whatever. I don't care. The above is what I'd like to see. Badly. I think giving the big version releases of Gentoo a big bag of inertia by requiring binary packages of everything against a carefully chosen set of default USE flags for that release and forking the Portage tree and so on could perhaps lead to better QA on the distro in general. And I don't see how it'd detract from the ability to live in -CURRENT and pretty much operate as we do now, besides requiring man and hosting power.

Btw I am looking for constructive discussion, so try not to flame. If you see conflicts or logical fallacies please point them out to me, thanks.
charlieg
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2003 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think there's definitely room for a P2P like network of Gentoo machines sharing Gentoo binaries. That way you're not limited by space or bandwidth and I'm sure plenty would participate.

I'd be happy to leave my machine on and sharing the binaries I compiled (or downloaded) for my USE configuration.

PT_LAmb
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2003 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gsfgf wrote:
yea, but ther's no way to get everything and more than 1 or two different versiopns would necessatiate charging just b/c of what it would take to build and store all those binaries.
Maybe not storing all the binary versions, but just a main one, with no USE flags, and all the image tree diff files for all the USE flags premutations.

Some thing like:
mysql-3.23.56.tar.bz2
mysql-3.23.56+static.diff.tar.bz2
mysql-3.23.56+readline.diff.tar.bz2
mysql-3.23.56+static+readline.diff.tar.bz2

What do you think?

Ricardo Cordeiro :)
luk108
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2003 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PT_LAmb wrote:
gsfgf wrote:
yea, but ther's no way to get everything and more than 1 or two different versiopns would necessatiate charging just b/c of what it would take to build and store all those binaries.
Maybe not storing all the binary versions, but just a main one, with no USE flags, and all the image tree diff files for all the USE flags premutations.

Some thing like:
mysql-3.23.56.tar.bz2

What do you think?

well, seems to be an great idea, but
security. think a little about that. how to ensure that your desired binary hasn't a backboor?
surely there is some way how to deal with this but for me it seems to be too complicated
PT_LAmb
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2003 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

luk108 wrote:
well, seems to be an great idea, but security. think a little about that. how to ensure that your desired binary hasn't a backboor? surely there is some way how to deal with this but for me it seems to be too complicated
As the binaries would be built by developers, they would be signed by them. I don't think I understand what you said.

XWRed1
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2003 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

luk108 wrote:
PT_LAmb wrote:
gsfgf wrote:

Some thing like:
mysql-3.23.56.tar.bz2

What do you think?

well, seems to be an great idea, but
security. think a little about that. how to ensure that your desired binary hasn't a backboor?
surely there is some way how to deal with this but for me it seems to be too complicated

Compare digests just like now? Or do you audit all the source you build for backdoors before you build it?
luk108
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2003 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

XWRed1 wrote:

Compare digests just like now? Or do you audit all the source you build for backdoors before you build it?

good point. but binares are binares...
luk108
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2003 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PT_LAmb wrote:
luk108 wrote:
well, seems to be an great idea, but security. think a little about that. how to ensure that your desired binary hasn't a backboor? surely there is some way how to deal with this but for me it seems to be too complicated
As the binaries would be built by developers, they would be signed by them. I don't think I understand what you said.

in this way it's better....
let me guess how much combinations of use flags and pocesors will then be?
XWRed1
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2003 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
in this way it's better....
let me guess how much combinations of use flags and pocesors will then be?

Just build binaries for the default USE and CFLAGS of a given Gentoo release.
gravis
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2003 2:09 pm    Post subject: Mix USE Reply with quote

The problem is that you can't emule all USE combinaisons with patches. BTW, a few packages really support MANY USE variations.

Binaries would be great, even build with all possible USE. I have a laptop (PIII 800), and installing gentoo + XFREE + KDE took 2 days !!
endtransmission
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2004 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

charlieg wrote:
I think there's definitely room for a P2P like network of Gentoo machines sharing Gentoo binaries. That way you're not limited by space or bandwidth and I'm sure plenty would participate.

I'd be happy to leave my machine on and sharing the binaries I compiled (or downloaded) for my USE configuration.

well, being new to gentoo and linux, i just came to the same conclusions - didn't realize that this idea had already been proposed almost a year earlier! A P2P network that uses USE flags and CFLAGS, as search parameters and md5sum tags as quality control.

anyhow, heres the link if you're at all interested.

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?p=873270&highlight=#873270
dr_strange
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2004 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be probably not very popular with this opinion, but what I gathered from the fora so far the Gentoo devs do not really want to provide effort, and especially bugsupport to a binary tree; so in my opinion the best solution would be for those who want a binary Gentoo to fork it instead of mix and match.

dr_strange

Set the Controls for the Heart of Gentoo
http://magenta.linuxforum.hu
watashiwaotaku7
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2004 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you could, also have a new setting something like a type flag in which you can choose things like, server desktop multi-media firewall/router development or beta/testing, one could set their type and then portage would dowload binaries with use flags that are common to those types, ignoring entirely optimizations or having i386,i486,i586,i686 packages for x86 and whatever equivalent march types there are for other platforms, this would certainly reduce the number of permutations, though maybe not enough

<edit>
the type flag could also be used during install to include certain things besides the core operating system, things like X and assorted apps for mm or desktop and exclude it for server and firewall/router
</edit>
humbletech99
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This idea is a must, gentoo developers take note!

However, couple of pitfalls:

Firstly, I would never let a binaary from another person's machine on my machine unless it came from gentoo.org and was signed off by the developers (I trust them to be careful so as not to destroy their reputation)

Secondly, having pre-compiled versions of all possible USE configurations is rediculous. Do what most other distros do, compile everything in, it won't make the world of difference. The you have the choice between fast installation of precompiled (like most distros today) and customised self-compiled stuff. So you can mix and match according to your needs/your time.

Give us the binary option!
d3vlin
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

XWRed1 wrote:

I don't know about others, but I like Gentoo not just because I can compile everything from source with OMG SUPAR OPTIMERIZATIONS. I like the init scripts, the filesystem layout, most of the way Portage works.

humbletech99 wrote:

Secondly, having pre-compiled versions of all possible USE configurations is rediculous. Do what most other distros do, compile everything in, it won't make the world of difference. The you have the choice between fast installation of precompiled (like most distros today) and customised self-compiled stuff. So you can mix and match according to your needs/your time.

This actually pretty much sums it up for me :)
aidanjt
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you people not heard of GRP?

As for the comments about 'different branches' of portage.. we already have that, masks and arch + ~arch packages, which makes it easy to mix and mach keywords via /etc/portage.
humbletech99
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, but I don't think GRP has been pushed enough and isn't big enough to be a real attraction...

You need something with reputation, preferably located at binaries.gentoo.org or something equivalent to APT repositories ...

value(geeks) > value(mundanes)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: