What first?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Coign
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 9:49 pm    Post subject: What first? Reply with quote

So I finally got my Gentoo install done. Only took me 3 weeks, 3 from scratch restalls and about 4 times of starting from the untarrting the stage files. (I finally got it working by bypassing all the stage installs and going with a stage 3. I still don't know what I was setting to get it to crash everytime but enough thinking about that horror.)

So now what? I read through the Working with Gentoo book, and I have a little to zero understanding of what USE flags I can and can not activate. But I do understand the thoery behind them.

Take for example, I read through the descriptions and I am the type of user that likes to try a lot of diffrent things. So I wanted to activate a lot of use flags. So this WAS my use command line.

USE="3dnow acl adns curl doc esd flac flash freetds gstreamer gtkhtml icq ipv6 jabber java kerberos krb4 ldap maildir mbox mozilla mysql odbc oci8 oscar postgres samba snmp socks5 sqlite tiff unicode usb videos xml"

On a fresh install from stage 3 I then tried to install Gnome, it failed telling me some error about Gnome being masked. So I updated my portage buy running an "emerge sync"

Tried it again, failed this time on a "Please download j2sdk-1_4_1-doc.zip from http://java.sun.com/products/archive/j2se/1.4.1_07/index.html and move it to /usr/portage/distfiles". Well this I had happen when trying to install gentoo before so I knew the fix to this one, dowloaded the file and tried it again.

Failed. This time on some type of QT3.3.0 error or something, I am sorry I didnt' write it down so you could scrtch your head over it but moving on.

I changed my USE line to read only

USE="3dnow icq mysql tiff usb videos xml"

And finally I got the "emerge gnome" to go through. Now I have a fresh install, how can turning on a feature cause a basic function like Gnome to fail? I thought the USE line increased functionality not broke it.

So my question, since this is only a 450 Mhz machine it takes about 12-15 hours for a major program like Gnome or Open office to emerge. I would like to avoid have to run that emerge 4 times for every program.

What order do you suggest I install the following items that I want on my system.

Gnome - installed
Open Office
MySql
C++ compiler
Apache
GAIM
(A yet to be determined FTP server)

And if you can give me any tips to avoid trip-ups like some broken USE tag that may cause that emerge to fail would be helpful.
<ph1zzle> I wonder what they taste like
cdmstro
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It doesnt really matter what order you install the packages listed in your post. If there are dependencies for your choice they will be installed, if there are shared dependencies, the portage system will recognize that fact and perform only the necessary installs.

As far as gotchas when using the use flags, I would recommend emerging 'ufed'.
Code:
emerge ufed
It is a much easier interface to use to determine if a particular USE flag is right for you. One thing about Gentoo is the fact that it leaves all decisions about what is installed and running up to you.
cdmstro
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just re-reading your post and realized I did not give you any answers to some of your other questions so I thought I would give you some tips on how I use portage, take them for what they are worth, I am certainly not an expert.

Whenever I emerge a package I always perform a check and include the -v flag
Code:
emerge world -pv

This allows me to see what use flags are applicable to the build I am attempting to install. if there are errors in the dependencies (such as your qt error) it allows me to determine what is causing the library which is generating the error to be included. Since you are using gnome, there is not much reason for qt to be installed, unless a dependent package requires it.

I don't use gnome, (diehard fluxbox fan :twisted: ) so I cannot help with your specific problem, but one of the libraries which was included because of your USE flags required a specific version of qt, which was not in the stable branch.

If you really want one of the libraries, and it is not in the stable branch, you can create /etc/portage/package.keywords (search the forums for this file, lots of information is out there about it, as well as the user's guides) to include the package and get the app you want.

Hope this helps, good luck and believe me gentoo is well worth the learning curve.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: