View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Snooper
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try LFS if you want some fun, I was using that before going to Gentoo because i wanted something that didn't have all the cruft i didn't need.

As for the gentoo install it's pretty easy i think having done it half a million times it seems. most of it can just be skipped i have a guide for using the gcc34 profile and nptl and if you follow that refering to the handbook for little parts that would pertain to your hardware it goes by pretty quick just don't follow the guide when it comes to the 2.6 headers/nptl/gcc34 parts unless you want to see just what your linux experience can be like on the bleeding edge of perfection :twisted:
geekanarchy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once you get past the installation (took me a couple tries the first time to get it right) you'll never look back. And for the install, it is really a learning experiance - in a good way. The Gentoo install guide is great at not only telling you what to do next, but why you are doing it. I was wary of compiling my own kernels before Gentoo, now it's no big deal.
acidburn
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TanNewt wrote:
Yeah I tried linux after wanting to for a while and finally getting cable internet so I could easily download whats needed. Anyhow I dual boot with WinXP, I spend most of my time on Gentoo. Portage is a great, easy way of and installing and rocks for udpating also. Make sure when you start that you understand etc-update I've lost an fstab file that way.

As for the people who say the install is horrible they have obviously never done a Linux From Scratch install. It teaches you a ton but gets tedious. Gentoo is a happy medium. It gets you comfortable to the console with out banishing you to the console for eternity typing ./configure make over and over.

I used to dual boot. I had Gentoo up for a bit along with Windows XP Pro. WINDOWS IS NOW GONE mwhahahahaha. I just reformated the HD and am installing Gentoo tonight. There is nothing that i really need to run anymore with windows...and hell if there is i can partition 5 g's off my 160g HD and throw it back on there :twisted:

Hope you like it Dex....the forums here is great too...they let noobs like me in and evan tolerate me...to a point :D
Mystilleef
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try installing Gentoo from Knoppix or Gnoppix. It will be easy on you. :-)

"My logic is undeniable."
Ateo
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have the resources (an extra computer), install it on that. Give it a try. I don't think anyone can convince you. You would have to try it and make up your own mind.

We are biased here. Of course we're going to *strongly* suggest to try Gentoo. Why wouldn't we? It's the best distro.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: