DEVFS Error
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
captiansteveo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 5:19 am    Post subject: DEVFS Error Reply with quote

I am a gentoo noob. I finally was sucessful in a stage 2 install and despite a few errors, my computer will boot.

THe first error i get tells me that devfs was not compiled into the kernel. It then tells me that it is required then procedes booting when i press enter. I have no idea how to get this error to go away, help.

My second problem reads:

*Checking All Filesystems...
fsck.ext2: No such file or directory while trying to open /dev/BOOT
/dev/BOOT
THe super block could not be read or does not describe a correct ext2 filesystem. If the device is valid and it really contains an ext2 filesystem (and not swap or ufs or something else), then the superblock is corrupt, and you might try running e2fsck with an alternate superblock:
e2fsck -b 8193 <device>

*Fsck could not correct all errors, manual repair needed [!!]

Give root password for maintenance
(or type Control-D for normal startup):

I then press control-d and it finishes booting. Are these related? How do i fix this?

My third problem:
I have no eth0 detected once i am logged in. I determined this by running ifconfig. Because of this, emerge wont work. everything was fine durring the install though i did have to use the "smp" install option to get the network to be seen.

As for some system specs:
Celeron 400
Intel 810 with integrated nic and sound
13 gig dma-66
16x dvd-rom
2.6.5 kernel (gentoo-dev-sources)

THnaks for the help.
lagrima
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

for the third problem did the livecd detect your network card? if it did you probably just forgot to enable the module for your network card or if it is enabled you need to modprobe <module_name> it or put it as one of your boot up thingys

as for the devfs problem i ran into that problem also with the 2.6 kernel and i do not exactly remember how i fixed it other than i know i recompiled my kernel with something and i rebooted and yay it worked.
Rainmaker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, you forgat 2 things:

1.edit your /etc/fstab file to list your actual partitions
2.Compile devfs into your kernel, or forgat to select "mount at boot"

you can boot from a livecd, mount partitions, chroot and edit your fstab

For the second problem, either recompile your kernel with devfs support, or emerge udev. I recommend the first option, but it's kinda personal

*edit:
http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/udev-guide.xml
watergate
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 8:14 pm    Post subject: Got the same DEVFS problem Reply with quote

I have the same problem with DEVFS that I seemed to forget to build into the kernel. After reading about the filesystems reiserfs seemed to be the best one so I choosed it for all filesystems
My config of disk
/dev/hda1 boot Reiserfs
/dev/hda2 W95 Ext'd (LBA)
/dev/hda3 linux swap
/dev/hda4 /
/dev/hda5 NTFS Windows XP

I tried to make the following to emerge udev.

1. boot from live cd
2. mount /dev/hda4 /mnt/gentoo
3. mount /dev/hda1 /mnt/gentoo/boot
4. makewap /hda3
5. swapon /dev/hda3
6. chroot /mnt/gentoo /bin/bash
7. env-update
8. source /etc/profile
9. emerge udev
#This failed since I don't have a network connection. IHad to burn a
# cd with distfile udev-024.tar.gz2 and put it under /usr/portage/distfiles
# Then emerge completed
10. exit
11. reboot and I got the same message that DEVFS was not compiled into the kernel. What did I forget. I did make a emerge reiserfsprogs when installing gentoo

The installation also destroyed my windows XP boot so now I don't have any OS working.
nixnut
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You mention udev. You do realise that you need to set that up. Have you done what is described in http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/udev-guide.xml ?

To be able boot windowsxp again you need to edit your grub.conf. See the manual for details, or see the grub error collection thread at the top of this forum. You'll find examples there.

talk is cheap. supply exceeds demand
watergate
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Nixnot

Thanks for the fast answer. I read the udev guide you sent and it said I need kernel 2.6 and I am running 2.4.25, Bummer. Will this be a problem. I will try to make the setup anyway.

I didn't expect anyone to answer so quickly so I tried to change the /boot partition to ext3 and that went ok but still I get the same errors at boot

What I did was to
mount /dev/hda4 /mnt/gentoo
mount /dev/hda1 /mnt/gentoo/boot
cd /mnt/gentoo/boot
tar cvf /mnt/gentoo/boot.tar .
cd /mnt/gentoo
mke2fs -j /dev/hda3
mount /dev/hda3 /mnt/gentoo/boot
cd /mnt/gentoo/boot
tar xvf ../boot.tar

Then I had to chroot and remake the setup for grup to reflect the change to ext3 filesystem. That was fine but same messages at boot. I'll go on to udev again to get rid of the DEVFS message.
watergate
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Correct me if I am wrong but by emerging udev I will not enable the DEVFS feature right but I will have an alternative way?? To enable devfs I guess the only way would be to recompile my kernel?? I haven't compiled kernels since solaris 1 so I feel a bit rusty
watergate
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 7:59 pm    Post subject: now do I feel stupid Reply with quote

Huh. After reinstalling gentoo again(second try) to see if I got any better luck with the /dev/BOOT run e2fsck problem. I saw in vain that I still got the same problem. Seeing all the post that your fstab is wrong I scrutinized it like 100 times but I could't see anything that looked wrong. Working with Solaris all day wrong my brain (twice) had replaced all talk about /etc/fstab to /etc/vfstab!!!! I had a vfstab that looked great and changing the name of the file did the trick. I remember I had problems in SunOS when they changed from fstab to vfstab so I should have learned :!:
xizhao
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you used the fstab file come with Gentoo? In that one, the boot partition is "BOOT". If your directory name is "boot" you have to change that one in fstab.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: